What's new

Cheap(est) over-the-air HDTV tuner? (1 Viewer)

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently using Dish Network (with a PVR501 non-HDTV receiver) connected to my Hitachi 57" widescreen RPTV. I'd really like to see some HDTV broadcasts, but just can't afford to buy a Dish 6000 unit just to get 2-3 HDTV channels (and also lose my PVR capabilities if I switched to that receiver, of course).

According to my research, I should be able to pick up some HDTV broadcasts locally. However, I'd hate to dive-in head first with a big purchase of an over-the-air HDTV tuner only to discover that they really don't come in that well near me -- or it just isn't worth it to me and I'd rather be able to use the PVR for non-HDTV viewing instead.

So -- can anyone recommend an inexpensive HDTV tuner that I could at least start out with to see how things go? I've seen a lot of SAMSUNG SIR-T150 units go on EBay for under $200 -- are these the way to go for a cheap/entry HDTV tuner? Or are they not even worth trying?

Or maybe someone has a decent used one that they'd be willing to part with for under $150 or so?

I've also heard of people getting some cheap, used DirecTV receivers with HDTV tuners -- and then just not using DirecTV at all (i.e. just getting them for the HDTV tuner). Is there a good cost reason to try that? Or better to go with something like those Samsungs on EBay?

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

- John...

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
The 150 will work. You may need to get a firmware upgrade for it. I'm not sure of the process to do so.
Also, if you have a Sam's Club nearby, they have the 151 for $290, which is a pretty good deal.

Check out your local Best Buys for open box Sammys and Pannys.

From what I gather, it's getting quite difficult to buy an open box Directv HD receiver from the major retailers (Best Buy, Circuit City) without signing a contract. Even when you say you're just going to use it for OTA, they're likely to give you a hard time.

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks