What's new

Chaplin Feature Films on Blu-ray from Kinowelt May 2008 (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4052

Kinowelt Home Entertainment has unveiled its Blu-ray slate for April/May, which prominently features no fewer than five movies directed by and starring Charles Chaplin: 'The Kid', 'The Gold Rush', 'City Lights', 'Modern Times', and 'The Great Dictator'.

At the moment it is not confirmed whether they'll be sold separately or in a movie set.

This is awesome news

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Is this only in Germany, and are they related to the US Kino company? I'd love to get a non-sped-up original cut of Gold Rush.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

I'd love to get a non-sped-up original cut of Gold Rush.
Me too!

This is a different company (I think) than the American Kino. However, they'll probably be region free. I buy imports both DVD and BD, and I've had some excellent quality German ones. The WB Chaplin sets are OOP, so there will likely be an Amerian release of these too.

In fact, there have been rumours that Criterion is preparing a BD Chaplin set too.

Either way, it looks like Chaplin's masterpieces will be coming on Blu...sooner and later.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by Claire Panke

Me too!

This is a different company (I think) than the American Kino. However, they'll probably be region free. I buy imports both DVD and BD, and I've had some excellent quality German ones. The WB Chaplin sets are OOP, so there will likely be an Amerian release of these too.

In fact, there have been rumours that Criterion is preparing a BD Chaplin set too.

Either way, it looks like Chaplin's masterpieces will be coming on Blu...sooner and later.
Kinowelt is a different company. If Warner's U.S. rights have lapsed, I wonder if that rumor about Criterion is true?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Criterion did get the US rights. Chaplin estate email to criterionforum.org member:

"I 'm not sure yet but I think that the first dvds to be released will be more or less the same as the Warner ones, unless Criterion are planning something we don't know about. New stuff including HD restorations will be on blueray, ?next year? year after?"

Jeff at criterionforum.org is always on top of these things, and he stated recently:

"Criterion did indeed win the U.S. distribution rights. The films are owned by the Chaplin estate, managed by Mk2, and distributed in different territories by the highest bidder. I believe Criterion will want to do some additional restoration of their own, so their discs may still be a way down the line."

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
No word on whether these will be original theatrical cuts or the "Daddy" cuts Chaplin made in his dotage?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks