What's new

Changing speakers possibly, Klipsch RF7's to ? (1 Viewer)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
See if you can borrow a good amplifier (and hopefully CD player too) from your dealer or a friend. I have a hunch that will make your problems go away. Those make some significant differences and might counter the issues you're describing. Unfortunately, it would also cost money to keep them.

Otherwise, your problems could be caused by a setup anomaly (which different speakers wouldn't help). Have you played around with placement? What did you think of small vs. large settings?

I was suggesting you keep the RF-7s because they can be really dynamic and good sounding speakers. I like that kind of lively sound, but I have low efficiency speakers and even though I've exerted a lot of effort to get ungodly high powered amplifiers, it's still just a "stop gap" solution.

Al Holland

Grip
Gary,
I can almost guatantee you that a different receiver will cure your problem. You need something with a warmer sound than the Sony. I use RF35's and RC 7. I power with Rotel 1066 and Sherbourne 5/1500A. I fel that music may be better than movies with this set up.
The store that I purchased from uses Denon 4802 or 4803 for power and both movies and music are terrible with their set up. I also noticed this with the Denon and M&K speakers.
Not long ago I had a Kenwood 6070 with Paradigm Monitor 11's. Home theater was great but stereo music was terrible. I added a Parasound amp and used the 6070 as a pre-pro and music was fantastic.
Take a look into your electronics before you sell the Klipsc. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference in sound.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
You could also try replacing the potentially low quality crossover components in the RF-7s. That would cost about $100 to $200 and would probably provide the same kind of improvement you get from better electronics. A few people at the Klipsch forum have done this with excellent results. There is plenty of room for tweaking in that area.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Thanks Al and Michael. I posted on the Klipsch forum asking if anyone has info regarding modifying the speaker system...
As to different Pre-amp and Power amp...all I need is unlimited funds and I'll be set...:) PLUS a room to dedicate the home theater system. Right now I had to move the RF7s closer to make room for the Christmas tree in our living room, so now they are adjacent to my entertainment center, not too bad for movies but really narrows the sound for music, which I'm drifting more into once again, work and kids seem to have kept me away from listening to music for a few years now.
G2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks