What's new

center channel stability (1 Viewer)

BradD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
I'm new to home audio but familiar with car audio. Most car audio amps are built for optimal performance (i.e. cleanest signal, no clipping, and no overheating) while running at a 4ohm load. When a 2ohm load is placed upon them, many begin clipping and/or overheating.

It's my understanding that most home audio amps are built for optimal performance while running at a 8ohm load. Generally speaking, do amps in A/V receivers, or separate amps for that matter, have any problems with stability with regards to pushing a center channel speaker rated a 4ohm?

I am considering the Denon 3803 and the Rocket RSC200.

Thanks
Brad

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the capability of the receiver, and what you're trying to do (signal and volume). I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem on a denon 3803 unless you were trying to drive it full range at reference level like volumes. Most likely you'll have things set to small, so it probably won't be that huge a deal, but it will be putting more strain on your receiver. I would just take care to watch the volume dial especially on bassy music, or let the sub do the heavy lifting.

John S

Senior HTF Member
With a sub, and the sub content out of the center channel, I'd go for it.

I run 10 speakers on my current 4802 setup with out issue at reference levels all the time. It has great air flow where I have it installed now though, but it didn't when I first installed it, and still no issues with it at all.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It's my understanding that most home audio amps are built for optimal performance while running at a 8ohm load.
Well, they typically publish power specs with a 8 ohm load, but everyone knows speakers jump between about 2-20 ohms depending upon the frequency being played. The 8 ohms is the "nominal" impedence.

Keep in mind that a HT receiver from a major company is designed to produce XX watts from all 5 channels continous.

But with a movie, you dont often have all 5 speakers blaring at full volume for long periods of time. This usually leaves lots of overhead in the amp to handle things.

Just keep an eye on the temp and make sure to follow the manual guidelines about vent-space for the receiver. Low impedence -> higher current -> HEAT.

Another thing:

For HT it is important to try and make your front 3 speakers as identical as possible. More and more movies are sending dialog to the L/R speakers if the actors are shot at the extreme edges of the frame. If your center is a Rocket, and the L/R some other brand - it can blow the illusion of the sound source moving around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks