What's new

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
However, having said that, between the 8125 for $2K and two Emotiva A-4s for $1,100 total, with similar specs, I'll take the Emotivas.
Aren't the A-4s Class AB? I paid 1K for my Outlaw 7000X and spec-wise it lines up with two A-4s (minus the 8th channel obviously) but the thing that interests me with the new Monolith offerings (and the D-Sonics) is the Class D implementation. We've known efficiency-wise that Class D is where it's at, but according to the hi-fi community sound quality has needed to catch up to AB--though I have an old Pioneer Elite SC-05 with ICEPower Class D amps which I thought sounded fine back in the day. Speaking of, maybe I'll dust that sucker off and plug it in to my old MB Quarts and see what it sounds like in stereo. The only reason I decommissioned it was to be able to support the latest HDMI versions and audio codecs like Atmos.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Aren't the A-4s Class AB? I paid 1K for my Outlaw 7000X and spec-wise it lines up with two A-4s (minus the 8th channel obviously) but the thing that interests me with the new Monolith offerings (and the D-Sonics) is the Class D implementation. We've known efficiency-wise that Class D is where it's at, but according to the hi-fi community sound quality has needed to catch up to AB--though I have an old Pioneer Elite SC-05 with ICEPower Class D amps which I thought sounded fine back in the day. Speaking of, maybe I'll dust that sucker off and plug it in to my old MB Quarts and see what it sounds like in stereo. The only reason I decommissioned it was to be able to support the latest HDMI versions and audio codecs like Atmos.
Yes, all the Emotiva BasX amps are A/B. Everything else of theirs is Class H. The thing is, Class D (as well as H) doesn't make as much sense on relatively low power amps. Class D is expensive to implement, and spending that for 100WPC (more or less) doesn't really add up for me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh I totally get your point, I was just a little confused because I am not overly familiar with Emotiva's lineup and so when you posted that here I went to their site thinking that they'd just released an inexpensive Class D 4 channel lol.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I should have used more nuance in my statement. I know they won't measure up specs and performance wise. I meant more in terms of audio quality at lower volumes. I have a medium sized room and don't run my speakers very loud, which is why I was more than happy with the Outlaw 7000x vs. going with the Monolith 7X. I've been pushing my 7000X to the upper end of what I could conceivably be listening at (normally I listen with an overall average volume of around 60-65db with peaks going up to around 75-78db. If I raise it so the average sound is between 65-70db with peaks in the low 80s I'm already wanting to turn it back down. So I'm not necessarily using a ton of power. The 8125 should provide more than enough power for my modest needs, I'm just hoping the sound quality is as good as it is with AB amps.
Got ya. That's a largely subjective matter, even with quality AB designs. In your specific case, however, I think the axiom "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yes, all the Emotiva BasX amps are A/B. Everything else of theirs is Class H. The thing is, Class D (as well as H) doesn't make as much sense on relatively low power amps. Class D is expensive to implement, and spending that for 100WPC (more or less) doesn't really add up for me.
And therein lies the rub but I'm still hopeful this move by Monoprice might ultimately be a harbinger of more manufacturers jumping into the audiophile level Class-D market.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And therein lies the rub but I'm still hopeful this move by Monoprice might ultimately be a harbinger of more manufacturers jumping into the audiophile level Class-D market.
They will.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yeah, at the price of that 8125X, he might as well go for Emotiva's XPA series and get a good deal more power (for most channels) instead (and still benefit some from the Class H efficiency). But of course, Carlo probably doesn't need that much power for the surrounds and Atmos height/ceiling speakers (and Emotiva's XPA series offering is very configurable/customizable to yield better fit)...

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Got ya. That's a largely subjective matter, even with quality AB designs. In your specific case, however, I think the axiom "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.
As I mentioned, I have 2 HTs and one of the things I'd like to avoid with my next power amp is to keep the weight down. Moving this 63 lbs Outlaw is a beast. Due to upgrading my speakers I wasn't ready to go over $1K this upgrade cycle so it was the Outlaw, but next cycle if the Monoprice 8125 gets favorable reviews, I'll probably go with that and put that in the main HT and move the Outlaw to the bedroom HT.

EDIT: actually let me amend that. The bedroom HT is on a stand with glass shelves which I'm not 100% certain will hold the Outlaw. So most likely it will be a Class D solution that goes in there as those tend to weigh considerably less.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
As I mentioned, I have 2 HTs and one of the things I'd like to avoid with my next power amp is to keep the weight down. Moving this 63 lbs Outlaw is a beast. Due to upgrading my speakers I wasn't ready to go over $1K this upgrade cycle so it was the Outlaw, but next cycle if the Monoprice 8125 gets favorable reviews, I'll probably go with that and put that in the main HT and move the Outlaw to the bedroom HT.

EDIT: actually let me amend that. The bedroom HT is on a stand with glass shelves which I'm not 100% certain will hold the Outlaw. So most likely it will be a Class D solution that goes in there as those tend to weigh considerably less.
Understood. Have you considered the possibility of moving the Denon 4500H to the bedroom and purchasing a proper [perhaps gently used] Pre/Pro for your main system?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Understood. Have you considered the possibility of moving the Denon 4500H to the bedroom and purchasing a proper [perhaps gently used] Pre/Pro for your main system?
No, I have a 4400 in the bedroom which is just fine, and there really isn't anything a pre-pro would give me that would entice me to spend more money over the 4500h.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
The Monoprice D-Class amps are assembled by ATI. The price difference may come down to the use of a somewhat cheaper switching power supply rather than a slightly more expensive linear toroidal transformer as in ATI's own builds. Monoprice did ask them to include a passive heat sync on their versions, though.

I decided to go with Buckeye Amp's three-channel Purifi model. Purifi is from the head designer of the Hypex Ncore boards, but more refined. The Buckeye has switchable gain, clipping indicators, and a quality op-amp section included. Even though they are a new kid on the block, their tests results on ASR have been quite good and up there with the ATI D-Class amps. The price was right too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks