center channel stability

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BradD, Nov 25, 2003.

1. BradD

BradD Stunt Coordinator

I'm new to home audio but familiar with car audio. Most car audio amps are built for optimal performance (i.e. cleanest signal, no clipping, and no overheating) while running at a 4ohm load. When a 2ohm load is placed upon them, many begin clipping and/or overheating.

It's my understanding that most home audio amps are built for optimal performance while running at a 8ohm load. Generally speaking, do amps in A/V receivers, or separate amps for that matter, have any problems with stability with regards to pushing a center channel speaker rated a 4ohm?

I am considering the Denon 3803 and the Rocket RSC200.

Thanks
    Brad

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Depends on the capability of the receiver, and what you're trying to do (signal and volume). I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem on a denon 3803 unless you were trying to drive it full range at reference level like volumes. Most likely you'll have things set to small, so it probably won't be that huge a deal, but it will be putting more strain on your receiver. I would just take care to watch the volume dial especially on bassy music, or let the sub do the heavy lifting.

3. BradD

BradD Stunt Coordinator

Oh, I will mostly be using the center channel for HT use. I usually listen to music in two channel mode.

4. BradD

BradD Stunt Coordinator

ttt

5. John S

John S Producer

With a sub, and the sub content out of the center channel, I'd go for it.

I run 10 speakers on my current 4802 setup with out issue at reference levels all the time. It has great air flow where I have it installed now though, but it didn't when I first installed it, and still no issues with it at all.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer