What's new

Car audio newbie, advice please (1 Viewer)

AcesHigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I purchased an '88 full size Chevy Blazer. Awsome truck, runs like a champ, 350, lift kit, 33" tires, I love it. The problem is it still has the stock stereo and speakers in it. I have never owned a vehicle without the stock stereo and it's time for a change, but I have no clue what I'm looking for. I'm pretty handy, so I want to do the install myself, I just don't know what to install.

I was looking at the Pioneer DEH-4800MP head unit. I've been told by a few people that for this price range it is very good. I do have to stay in this price range by the way per my wife ;)

Now because of money issues I'm going to be doing things a little at a time. So I want to put the head unit in and run my stock speakers on it for awhile, if this will work.

Now here's where I get lost. I probably will do the whole amp thing with subs in the rear, but until that happens, what speakers should I go with. Price is an issue and I don't want to put something in that I will have to replace or eliminate when I do get an amp and sub(s). I was thinking about 6x9 3 or 4 ways for the rear and 3 or 4 ways for the doors, but since I'm going to put subs in eventually should I even put anything in the rear now. Don't really know which way to go. I don't really want to spend more than $100 for a pair of speakers. Can you get good ones for that price???

I listen to mostly metal, old and new. A little old school rap and classic rock if that helps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Some really good deals can be found on ebayexpress.com. under consumer electronics. Just bought a new pair of last years model Soundstream Picasso 3-ways for less than 40 bucks..... which will help enable you to do a little at a time while staying under the wife's radar! I am kinda in your boat about slowly building a system, as I am retro-fitting an old work truck with a system and trying to fix it up with "quality" components at a reasonable price.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are going for a very good system, I'd recommend component speakers for the doors. I recommend the 6500's from Elemental Designs. You can get them at a group by prices by ordering them through this page - link. Compare them to the lower 6000 model price which isn't available through that link. If that's too much, there are some b-stock CDT components sold through CDT's ebay store.

Later on, amps from ED are a good choice. Their subs are a good value but not the best. I like ones from TC Sounds or Soundsplinter (built by TC Sounds).

-Robert

AcesHigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Thank you very much for the responses. I installed the Pioneer head unit, after some modifications to the dash. I really like it, but it sounds like crap on those old speakers, better than the stock unit though. So hopefully the wife will let me get some new ones pretty soon. I still can't decide between components or coaxial for the front. It seems to me that the setup of choice seems to be components. Sound quality is very important to me, so I'm assuming that it's the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks