1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cable modem with USB

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Gary Neuwirth, May 5, 2003.

1. Gary Neuwirth

Gary Neuwirth Active Member

Last week my old cable modem provided by Roadrunner died and they gave me a replacement. This modem is a motorola and it can be connected to the computer via lan or usb. I went ahead and connected with the usb connection and it works fine.

But with too much time on my hands I wondered if one connection was more beneficial than the other? Today's computers come with both built-in lan and usb so one question I had was this: Does one use less computer resources than the other?

So which is better to use? Or it doesn't even matter...

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Well-Known Member

I believe the Ethernet jack is faster, but it might not be an issue at the speed cable companies give you. Try both and see which works better.

KJP

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Well-Known Member

It does depend on your cable speed, but using the USB connection can strangle your connection. If you've got both types available, I'd use the ethernet.

4. Camp

Camp Well-Known Member

there may be a small hit to your system resources using USB too. Nothing worth mentioning when browsing the web but it may have an impact when playing games online.