What's new

Cable modem with USB (1 Viewer)

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
Last week my old cable modem provided by Roadrunner died and they gave me a replacement. This modem is a motorola and it can be connected to the computer via lan or usb. I went ahead and connected with the usb connection and it works fine.

But with too much time on my hands I wondered if one connection was more beneficial than the other? Today's computers come with both built-in lan and usb so one question I had was this: Does one use less computer resources than the other?

So which is better to use? Or it doesn't even matter...

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I believe the Ethernet jack is faster, but it might not be an issue at the speed cable companies give you. Try both and see which works better.

KJP

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
It does depend on your cable speed, but using the USB connection can strangle your connection. If you've got both types available, I'd use the ethernet.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
there may be a small hit to your system resources using USB too. Nothing worth mentioning when browsing the web but it may have an impact when playing games online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks