What's new

Building a home cinema over my garage need help (1 Viewer)

Ozzymc

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Mc Donnell
Hello I am a newbie here. Just a little background I have built a new twin garage separate from the house. The space above I have wired it for a ceiling mount projector with hdmi and also for surround sound. I hope to have a bar and pool table also. Might have to leave out the pool table but I will soon see. The ceiling height is 7'9" and I have dropped the wires 11' from the wall. I am hoping to use a wall mounted motorised screen.
There are so many Projectors home cinema systems and screens out there it is mind boggling.
I seem to have settled on the Epson 6900 projector ( hope I am right)
I have bought a yamaha home system and it is on the way
I am having a lot if trouble trying to select a screen ie make or brand. I don't want to go to crazy as the whole project has gone way over budget. :(. If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful. Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Unless you have a dual display you don't need a motorized screen.
You could make your own screen right out of the wall itself with MaxxMud.
So we can come up with further options...
How big will the "screen area" be?(side question, how big is the wall itself?)
Planning wall mounted speakers where an actual AT screen would be worthwhile?

Ozzymc

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Mc Donnell
Hello
The reason I was putting a motorised screen was because the stairs will be coming up beside the screen so I was afraid it could get damaged. In overall width including casings it can't be more than 80' as it is a hoped roof and that is keeping it down 9". I am trying to upload a photo from the I phone of the layout but it won't let me. I have already wired either side (ear height )and for the centre speaker ( more or less ) in trunking. It is to be plastered this week. The rear speakers are wired fir too.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, so what about this is keeping you from painting the wall?
Using MaxxMud will cost 1/20th the amount of money of doing a motorized screen.
Unless your center is "inside" the screen area, necessitating an AT screen...

Ozzymc

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Mc Donnell
Have you used this Maxxmud or have you seen it? I am reading all about "GAIN " which is reflective And "gray" ...still not too 100% about.
If i paint the ceiling white will i be in trouble?
I have put down lighters in the ceiling should i have put lights on the side walls instead.?

Ozzymc

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Mc Donnell
Just after watching videos of Maxxmudd and reading about it. It does seem a cheaper way of producing an excellent screen..Just a few questions
1. should you paint directly onto the wall? i am just afraid in case there might be imperfections and it would affect the picture.
2. I live in ireland and all the paints would be different over here. Is there anyone one on this site from this side of the water that has done it and can recommend where to get the paints.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That throws a minor kink in it...
The people I've known that have done it have done it right on the wall. Although there is nothing stopping you putting "on something else" and moving it into place, just like a picture. (there are pieces of "board", be it MDF, plastic of some sort etc that are commonly used for DIY painted screens)
I did find this...is probably similar...
http://www.goosystems.co.uk/
Also these guys (although it appears their formula is specific for extremely dark purpose built screens)
http://www.projectorscreenpaint.com/
If you take the recipe into a paint store over there(you'd be surprised what companies Porter Paint and Sherwin Williams over here...own over there) you can probably get a pretty much exact match.
The one thing about painting your wall(or painting a canvas) is it is cheap enough you can make two. One for severe contrast and one for extreme brightness and switch back and forth. (cause if you watch during the day and you don't have COMPLETE light control, you'll need two screen surfaces anyway)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not sure if I'm allowed to mention another site(although it really isn't a "forum")...
This is a blurb on keeping it under $100USD...(not sure what that translates into for you...)
http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

Ozzymc

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Mc Donnell
Just read that link very informative definitely will go that way
The goo seems very expensive for what it is. Incl shipping it works
Out around $300 before u start

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No problem. One of my friends with a projector did it in a west facing "multi-window" room of the house(his only real choice...no basement)...
He painted his wall in chalkboard paint(he had, at the time, 3 kids under 6) and the "screen area" itself was a work in progress over the course of two years. His screen surface was never bad...just it took tweaks and the occasional paint over...to get it "correct"...
But that is the beauty of paint...you can do it again...

Ozzymc

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Mc Donnell
http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint
The link was very informative the only problem is to get the correct paint.
It is so hard to get anything here.we do not have the variety you have over there

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks