What's new

Bryan Singer to direct and produce 'Battlestar Galactica' movie (2 Viewers)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I couldn't find a thread about this. Interesting news that should cause a bit of a ruckus.

Battlestar Galactica is getting the big-screen treatment. Universal Pictures has confirmed blog speculation that Bryan Singer, director of Valkyrie, w.ill take on directing and producing duties for a BSG movie,

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/08/13/bryan-singer-battlestar-galactica-movie/

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The film is not expected to be a continuation of current popular television show that’s running on the SyFy network but will be a complete re-imagining of the sci-fi lore that was invented by Larson back in the 70s.
No sale.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thats what people said about the scifi series when it was announced too.;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
But let's be honest.. there was a 15+ year time gap since even Battlestar 1980. Here you are going to have less then a year from a re-imagining, and you've already licensed characters for re-use in a series that just starts next January (Caprica) as well as licensed another film (The Plan) due shortly.

BSG isn't a following that has such a huge number that it can be divided in infinite ways and work. BSG never got the ratings on SciFi (it was SciFi then, not StaphINfection or Syphilis or whatever it is now) that Eureka, etc. pulled down. It was a great critically acclaimed series with a die hard following.

Now, you can re-imagine again in hopes of bringing in a broader audience at the theaters. But you could also end up with an expensive film that, no matter what you do, just isn't built for a mainstream audience without being a monumental bomb.

Some properties are just that way. The SciFi miniseries "Dune" and "Children of Dune" was very successful. Hell, they could try for "God Emperor of Dune" or whatever. Still, even with an excellent crew and tons of budget, the "Dune" that was delivered at the theaters was an abomination that died because fans didn't accept it and no one else cared.

Time will tell. Maybe it could become a giant smash; which would make you wonder what happens to the licensing value of the show or if the new show (Caprica) would be tempted to steal ideas.. or try to form something..

Just seems like there needs to be a bit more of a break

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Great news, until I read that Singer is doing it and that it "will be a complete re-imagining of the sci-fi lore". Two wrongs that mostly likely won't make a right.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sounds promising to me. I stopped caring about the relaunch after season 2, even though I watched it until the end. I hate Superman Returns, but that was probably more the script than the direction.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Seems it took the success of Ron Moore's BSG to get Singer's project off the ground. You will recall that Singer was involved in trying to remake the show before Moore was. Now that Moore's show is a huge success, won Peabodys, had a UN discussion panel, etc., the studio (understandably) wants more.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by mattCR ">[/url]

Just seems like there needs to be a bit more of a break[/QUOTE]The biggest response I've seen to this news is that it's "too soon". But really, how much time between reimaginings do we need? How long is long enough? The Ron Moore series was outstanding. I loved it. But it is over now, so there's no danger of confusion or cannibalizing audiences. It's not like we're ever going to forget the series. Heck, most of us still remember the original series just fine, but that didn't stop us from enjoying the update.

If Singer can come up with a compelling new approach, I say go for it.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Chad R

The biggest response I've seen to this news is that it's "too soon". But really, how much time between reimaginings do we need? How long is long enough?
I don't know if there is a "right" answer to this question. However, I personally feel a few months is not long enough (as in a few months between Moore's show ending, and this announcement). I understand this, along with Richard Hatch's idea, were floating around in the ether long before Moore's reimaging, and indeed Singer's version was cut-off mostly due to the events of 9/11. However, the timing just seems too perfect to me, as if Singer et al are trying to capitalize solely on the success of the TV show. If that's the case, that's poor form.

That all being said, I certainly won't judge the movie in any way until I see it with my own two eyes (unless something *really* stupid leads me to do otherwise, such as making the entire cast a bunch of talking puppies).

I was as big a fan as they come for the Moore reimaging, and the Caprica pilot was awesome. I wonder what the movie will do for the series--hurt or help it?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think that's the big problem I have.. "The Plan" will air next year I believe. And Caprica will be in it's first season. Imagine it like this:
Star Trek: The Next Generation was in it's third season. And, on the big screen, there was a "re-imagining" of "Star Trek" which was TOTALLY different.

How would that impact the series that was still airing? It just seems to me like it risks greatly devaluing the product that is being developed/shot now (Caprica) unless something wild is going on.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Wow Star Trek envy eh? Like a few others I lost enthusiasm for the new series of BG after the 2nd season especially when I realised the Cylons and looking for Earth were the whole story, yawn! It's like having an entire series of Star Trek Voyager with the Borg as the only antagonists.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Neh, not Star Trek envy. Maybe a bad example. Ok, let's take this example:

While "The Brady Bunch" is on the air, the parody movie/film comes out also called "The Brady Bunch" which is also funny.. in a totally different way.

NOW, the movie might turn out good, etc... but the marketplace value of the mid-level program would be significantly harmed.

So, my question is: if Singer goes forward with this and let's assume he does, then how does RDM and the studio change up Caprica to make it not at odds with the film...

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by mattCR

... but the marketplace value of the mid-level program would be significantly harmed.

So, my question is: if Singer goes forward with this and let's assume he does, then how does RDM and the studio change up Caprica to make it not at odds with the film...
I don't want to look at a film's marketplace value. I know there's a great deal of interest in the business side of movies, but I'd rather concentrate on just the creative side of it.

As to "Caprica" being on at the same time, I can keep the two straight in my head. After all, when "Smallville" was going strong I had no problem differentiating "Superman Returns" and keeping the two storylines separate. In fact, in comics there's often alternative stories of the same character running across TV, movies and comics concurrently.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
This time, Starbuck is transgender.

Maybe this 3rd Battlestar Galactica claim is just a cover story to hide the production of some sort of sci-fi movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I have problems conceptually with this franchise being applied to the big screen, regardless of the cultural baggage from previous iterations that surrounds it. Both the original and reimagined series feature at their core a pilgrimage from exile to the Promised Land. Such a pilgrimage needs to play out over time to have any real weight. If the colonies are destroyed in the first twenty minutes and they find earth, this supposed long lost colony that has defied the best and brightest minds for centuries, in the last twenty minutes, it makes it seem like a pretty freaking easy journey.Maybe they'll find some twist that will make it work, but it seems like any two hour version is doomed to failure from the start.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
You make a good point, Adam. While I stated above that I wouldn't judge this movie sight-unseen (afterall, I've pointed out the hilarity factor of the thread anouncing the new TV series), I do agree that it is doomed to fail simply because of the short run-time. In my mind, there are only a few plots that are possible *and* meaningful for a movie:

- The colonies are attacked, and the course of the movie shows ony the immediate aftermath, leaving the fate of the humans on the Battlestar/fleet as a cliff-hanger. This would essentially be the pilot for for a series of movies.

- The attack and the finiding of Earth is all shown. The entire core plot of Battlestar is condensed into 2 hours.

- We see the attack, and the ensuing conflict between humanity and the cylons, but left with a different cliff-hanger of sorts, in which the humans have fended off the cylons...but when will they return? Another "pilot" project, of course.

- The Cylons win :) (I might actually pay to see this)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I liked the Galactica series, i really do...but...i wouldnt call it sci-fi, just like i wouldnt call Knight Rider sci-fi just cause it has a cool car. Yea, Galactica had better scripts than KR, most of the time, anyway. That boxing episode is still the shark jumping moment for me on Galactica. Man that one stunk!

I would like to see what Singer can do with it. Shoot, id like to have seen what Richard Hatch would of done with the show. I was lucky enough to see the "pilot" he made with his own money. I thought it was pretty cool!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
While I can't write this off sight-unseen, a re-reimagined BSG holds no appeal to me just now. The recent TV series was so remarkable -- perhaps the best scifi series ever -- that the prospect of someone else trying to rework it for an unrelated movie doesn't make any sense.

But, I keep relearning to have an open mind. I thought the new Star Trek looked liked nonsense, and that turned out great. Even this BSG, during prerelease promotions, sounded like heresy to my childhood memories; and its mini-series launch knocked me out.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Count me in if they go back to the roots of the original story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks