What's new

Bryan Singer to direct and produce 'Battlestar Galactica' movie (1 Viewer)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Originally Posted by Chad R

As to "Caprica" being on at the same time, I can keep the two straight in my head. After all, when "Smallville" was going strong I had no problem differentiating "Superman Returns" and keeping the two storylines separate. In fact, in comics there's often alternative stories of the same character running across TV, movies and comics concurrently.
Very good points i totally agree..

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I was a big fan of the Moore series. I accepted the show at face value for its entire run. Now to have another "re-imagining" of the show less than a year later BSG ended just dosen't seem right. It's like have a bed time story read to me by my dad, then after he tucks me in my mom comes in and reads me the same story. Different reading does not make a different story. maybe in ten years or so but not now.

No thank-you.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
A few random thoughts;

I enjoyed Moore's show. But while he used the properties' concept to effectively tell his stories, he never "defined" the concept. He spent four years waxing philosophical on religion, mysticism, and technology. That's fine, but there's more than enough room for a traditional Sci-fi Action-Space Opera. God can stay home for this one.
The show had about 2 million viewers by the end. Lets say absolutely none of them go to see this movie. No one would care.

There's no way in hell Caprica will make it past it's first season.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i believe teh closest comparison we can think of is probably the feud between Roland Emmerich's Stargate film and Wright/Cooper's Stargate series. but then again, it wasn't ever on simultaneously.

i just can't imagine a BSG w/o ron moore's re-imagining.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs

A few random thoughts;

I enjoyed Moore's show. But while he used the properties' concept to effectively tell his stories, he never "defined" the concept. He spent four years waxing philosophical on religion, mysticism, and technology. That's fine, but there's more than enough room for a traditional Sci-fi Action-Space Opera. God can stay home for this one.
The show had about 2 million viewers by the end. Lets say absolutely none of them go to see this movie. No one would care.

There's no way in hell Caprica will make it past it's first season.
IDK, I always thought the reason one 're-imagines' a classic series, (and i'm using the word "classic" very loosely in relations to the original BSG) is you hope that there is already a pre-set fan base that will keep the show going long enough til the rest of the viewing audience catches on. What I think has happened in this case is that the majority of the potential BSG fans watched the R. Moore series and now consider that version the legitimet version. Most would probably only think the original series as a quaint 70's show that was the genises of the new show. One would have a difficult time convincing those fans to abandon the concept R. Moore developed in favor of a new theatrical version so soon after that show had ended. The only fans left to grab are Sci-Fi fans that didn't like the R. Moore version. But by this point one would be cutting the slice of potential fans so thin that it would hardly seem worth the while to use the BSG story at all. There are plenty of other storys out the to use if the only intention one really has is to create a special effects driven space drama.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Mark Leiter

IDK, I always thought the reason one 're-imagines' a classic series, (and i'm using the word "classic" very loosely in relations to the original BSG) is you hope that there is already a pre-set fan base that will keep the show going long enough til the rest of the viewing audience catches on. What I think has happened in this case is that the majority of the potential BSG fans watched the R. Moore series and now consider that version the legitimet version. Most would probably only think the original series as a quaint 70's show that was the genises of the new show. One would have a difficult time convincing those fans to abandon the concept R. Moore developed in favor of a new theatrical version so soon after that show had ended. The only fans left to grab are Sci-Fi fans that didn't like the R. Moore version. But by this point one would be cutting the slice of potential fans so thin that it would hardly seem worth the while to use the BSG story at all. There are plenty of other storys out the to use if the only intention one really has is to create a special effects driven space drama.
Well-summed, Mark!

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Mark Leiter

You don't make "blockbusters" for fan-bases or sci-fi fans. They capitalize on the brand recognition and aim to bring in the general public. Hell, most of the time the fanbase is a liability because all they'll do is bitch, and the smaller the better.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Eh, they had already screwed up the old series with this remake nonsense, so it cant be any worse now.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Well one thing Singer could do is go back to the kid-friendly nature of the 70's version and go for a Star Wars type plot line and audience. The R. Moore version was very much an adult series. The movie doesn't have to find Earth but could have the home world destroyed in the first 10 minutes or just do a really fast flashback and assume everyone already knows about it and we are already months/years into the journey. It could be changed that the humans have a plan to destroy the Cylons or at least destroy enough of their ships that they no longer have to worry about being pursued. Your standard big space battle ending. Hell they could even have settled on another world or just started to settle on one and then go after the Cylons to prevent another attack but end up losing their new home world after a successful attack on the Cylons. Maybe Baltar is back working with the Cylons in command of his own base ship.

An extreme version could be that they have already found Earth 30 years ago and have been helping us prepare for a Cylon attack in case Earth was ever found. Cue standard big space battle movie where we have to destroy the one base ship before it reports Earth's location. That would allow them to bring back some of the original cast and their current age would make sense.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I doubt Singer would want to do anything quite as kid-friendly as the original show. His film will probably end up somewhere in between the original and the Ron Moore version. I wouldn't mind seeing this film be a little lighter in tone; RDM's BSG was relentlessly dark; they shouldn't try to copy that. Bringing back some of the original cast in some capacity could be fun. Moore's show might be the best science fiction that was ever produced for television; it is certainly the most mature. A movie will need a broader audience, so a lighter tone seems likely to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks