What's new

Boardwalk Empire official discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I always skip the title sequence. It's done very stylishly but

I agree it clashes with the show.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Interesting. I came on here expecting to see everyone disappointed with the finale (as I was as well as the 2 workmates I talked to about it).

I thought it had it's moments, but there was way too much character development. I'm all for character development, but not on the season finale of a show we probably won't see for 8 months.

I don't have a problem with the title sequence other than the dorky way Nucky walks away on the beach at the end of it. I think if his rivals saw that he would no longer seem to be a threat to them.

Overall great season of a great show though and looking forward to season 2.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Margaret returned to Nucky due to money? I didn't get that. At least not directly. What I got is while they were together, she actually started to build a relationship with him. Then they had their "recognition blowup" and she left. But she continued to struggle with the fact that while he did some really bad things, there was also good in him. Her kids missed him. Her quality of life was better in many ways with him. Nucky opened up to her about the death of his wife and son, telling her she now knows more about him than any other person on Earth.

While Nucky was at the election celebration, he was certainly not above putting the moves on a new woman, but when Margaret walked in the door, everything stopped. He loves Margaret as much as he can love anyone. Not enough to give up his lifestyle, but barring that, she's up there. She knows and feels all this, and decides she can live with a bit more sin than she previously thought. I don't thing her struggle is over, but at least she's going in with her eyes open now. In this way, she is a bit more like Carmela Soprano. Except I get the feeling there's still a part of Margaret that wonders why Nucky can't leave that behind, whereas I don't think Carmela ever wanted to lose the trappings of being Tony Soprano's wife.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

Margaret returned to Nucky due to money? I didn't get that.

I don't think money was the sole factor for her to return to him but the episode makes it clear that it was definitely the deciding factor. Margaret was having the 'superstitution cake' with Harding's mistress and she got the rag in her piece (indicating that she'd be a pauper) and I'm pretty sure that the next time that we see her, she's going back to Nucky.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
True. That's a pretty big oversight in my commentary. I saw it as "a" factor, not the deciding one. If you do something you don't want to do, you don't usually have the look of peace she had with returning to Nucky. It wasn't like, "Fine, you win." It was, "You know those shades of gray we've been talking about... You have a point." I think the rag was a factor, but the fact that it came last doesn't inherently make it more significant than the other factors. She's a pretty sharp lady. I think she knew the financial ramifications of leaving Nucky before she did it. Did the rag touch an already sore spot? I'm sure it did. But honestly... are we saying we think we have a lady here who abhors everything Nucky is, but is willing to be with him and let him around her children just for the money? I just don't see that in her eyes, and I haven't seen that she's that type of woman.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

True. That's a pretty big oversight in my commentary. I saw it as "a" factor, not the deciding one. If you do something you don't want to do, you don't usually have the look of peace she had with returning to Nucky. It wasn't like, "Fine, you win." It was, "You know those shades of gray we've been talking about... You have a point." I think the rag was a factor, but the fact that it came last doesn't inherently make it more significant than the other factors. She's a pretty sharp lady. I think she knew the financial ramifications of leaving Nucky before she did it. Did the rag touch an already sore spot? I'm sure it did. But honestly... are we saying we think we have a lady here who abhors everything Nucky is, but is willing to be with him and let him around her children just for the money? I just don't see that in her eyes, and I haven't seen that she's that type of woman.

I concur.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks