What's new

Blade Runner 5 Disc: Thank you again! (1 Viewer)

Jerome

Second Unit
Thanks Charles for your answer.

A coffee table book is the best option I think too.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
my local theatre is playing some old classic movies. they will be playing blade runner the directors cut in september. the link is below.

http://www.livefromauburn.com/appac_presents/cinema/cinema.htm

Jacob

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Check this out. Seems like this maybe goes too far: Fans remaking parts of the film, extending scenes, replacing effects... soon we won't be able to tell what is an actual outtake, and what was invented by a fan with tons of time on his hands:

Some of the bits are good, some are not -- I object to the video screen behind the Leon and Deckard showdown, for instance, because the original background row of buildings featured prominently in the Blade Runner videogame by Westwood. So to delete that is just wrong. And the love of the blimp is taken to an illogical extreme -- it wouldn't be in every single sky shot, realistically! Nor would it be flying low between old buildings. The iced-up Chew was interesting. "Iced-up Chew". Sounds like a product.

The odd shots of Leon are evidently an attempt to realize the abandoned idea that Leon would be hiding up in the ceiling of his hotel room (holding himself up just by the sheer strength of pressing his arms and legs against the walls).

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
You know, there's one thing that feels like it's not quite complete to me in the Dangerous Days documentary; more on Vangelis' music. It seems like it kinda glossed over what he did (though everyone glows about the soundtrack), and with there still not being a complete nor totally accurate official release of the soundtrack, it would be great to get more on that.

Otherwise it's an incredible documentary on one of my top 5 films of all time. Sometimes I'll just watch the documentary, and when my wife comes in the room the first thing she'll say, "Are you really watching that again?" And the next thing you know, she's been standing there watching it with me for 20 minutes!

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I really wanted to do an entire stand-alone featurette on Vangelis. I had been discussing his participation with his very kind manager Cherry Vanilla for, literally, years. I was ready to hop on a plane to Greece (tough life, I know) on a moment's notice for this interview. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when he ultimately chooses not to participate in "Dangerous Days" but then does a BBC interview after The Final Cut comes out. Oh well, perhaps next time, if there is one. Those rare times it rains here, I'm always compelled to put on "Blade Runner Blues" and stare out at the stormy horizon from the deck of my hilltop house overlooking 21st Century Los Angeles.

Thanks for the nice comments, Winston.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone else find it freaky that we're 9 (now almost 8) years away from Blade Runner? I'm starting to look around and doubt whether some of these people around me are really human...

Fascinating story about Vangelis, Charlie. Would have been great to have him in there, but the documentary is still top notch. Easily the best doc I've watched for a motion picture.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Does anyone else find it freaky that we're 9 (now almost 8) years away from Blade Runner?[/COLOR]

Not really. It isn't like I booked passage on a Pan Am space clipper or visited our moon colony 9 years ago.

- Walter.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Originally Posted by Charles de Lauzirika

I really wanted to do an entire stand-alone featurette on Vangelis. I had been discussing his participation with his very kind manager Cherry Vanilla for, literally, years. I was ready to hop on a plane to Greece (tough life, I know) on a moment's notice for this interview. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when he ultimately chooses not to participate in "Dangerous Days" but then does a BBC interview after The Final Cut comes out. Oh well, perhaps next time, if there is one. Those rare times it rains here, I'm always compelled to put on "Blade Runner Blues" and stare out at the stormy horizon from the deck of my hilltop house overlooking 21st Century Los Angeles.

Thanks for the nice comments, Winston.

Thanks for the info, and reminding me that Vangelis is in Greece. I'm going there in a few weeks for my brother-in-law's wedding. Maybe I should look him up and ask him what the deal was with not working with you!?! :)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Thanks for these videos. I really cannot get enough of the making of special effects, whether they're oldschool, so to speak, or CG.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
From: http://blastr.com/2011/03/sequels-and-prequels-to-b.php

Alcon Entertainment is in "final discussions" to secure the film, TV and other rights to make prequels and sequels to director Ridley Scott's 1982 masterpiece. Alcon is buying the rights from producer Bud Yorkin, who was one of the executive producers of the original film and will serve as a producer on any new Blade Runner movies.

The press release states that Alcon would pretty much have the right to do anything except remake Blade Runner itself (whew!), but that the company "may produce projects based on situations introduced in the original film."

That sound you hear is of a thousand female fans of Pris reapplying their raccoon-style eyeliner.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
More cinema news sources on this sale of the rights:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/03/02/blade-runner-prequels-sequels-alcon/

zyser

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph
Originally Posted by Charles de Lauzirika

I really wanted to do an entire stand-alone featurette on Vangelis. I had been discussing his participation with his very kind manager Cherry Vanilla for, literally, years. I was ready to hop on a plane to Greece (tough life, I know) on a moment's notice for this interview. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when he ultimately chooses not to participate in "Dangerous Days" but then does a BBC interview after The Final Cut comes out

Dear Charles

I hope it isn't too late to join in and express my thanks, I also wish to add my heartfelt gratitude to you and your team for working on the Blade Runner 5 disc edition. This is truly the kind of release that is cherished and loved. I enjoy every little bit detail on each of these wonderful discs, and I am slightly ashamed to admit I watched "Dangerous Days" as many times the Blade Runner film by now, it's fantastic.

I have a question relating to Vangelis' film score on the Final Cut, could you recall where the music was sourced from for the final cut? Were the master "Music & Effects" tapes ever found and were they used for FC? I understand that Vangelis (in 1982) produced a 4-channel mix of his music, and was mixed for left, center, right, and surround to be later encoded in Dolby Stereo. I would be interested to hear if the Final Cut was able to use this 4-channel mix, or if it used a stereo mix of the music if the 4-channel M&E tapes were never found.

Thanks again

Joseph

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Will_B

Check this out. Seems like this maybe goes too far: Fans remaking parts of the film, extending scenes, replacing effects... soon we won't be able to tell what is an actual outtake, and what was invented by a fan with tons of time on his hands:

Wow, that was just awful.

Vincent

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Vincent_P

Wow, that was just awful.

Vincent

What aspect of it? The assault on the original filmmakers vision? The amateurish special effects? The poor decisions about what to recompose? I'd say yeah to all the above, but, you were kind of vague there.

Originally Posted by Lord Dalek

Fan edits suck period. Look at all the fake Superman II ones.

I would direct you to Star Wars: Revisited and the upcoming ESB: Revisited. Digitally tweak every single shot, make sure continuity and plot flows, add new sequence shots and visual FX and serve. That's a fanedit done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks