1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blade Runner 5 Disc: Thank you again!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Oliver_A, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

Thanks Charles for your answer.

A coffee table book is the best option I think too.

2. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    my local theatre is playing some old classic movies. they will be playing blade runner the directors cut in september. the link is below.

http://www.livefromauburn.com/appac_presents/cinema/cinema.htm

Jacob

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Check this out. Seems like this maybe goes too far: Fans remaking parts of the film, extending scenes, replacing effects... soon we won't be able to tell what is an actual outtake, and what was invented by a fan with tons of time on his hands:

Some of the bits are good, some are not -- I object to the video screen behind the Leon and Deckard showdown, for instance, because the original background row of buildings featured prominently in the Blade Runner videogame by Westwood. So to delete that is just wrong. And the love of the blimp is taken to an illogical extreme -- it wouldn't be in every single sky shot, realistically! Nor would it be flying low between old buildings. The iced-up Chew was interesting. "Iced-up Chew". Sounds like a product.

The odd shots of Leon are evidently an attempt to realize the abandoned idea that Leon would be hiding up in the ceiling of his hotel room (holding himself up just by the sheer strength of pressing his arms and legs against the walls).

4. WinstonCely

WinstonCely Stunt Coordinator

You know, there's one thing that feels like it's not quite complete to me in the Dangerous Days documentary; more on Vangelis' music. It seems like it kinda glossed over what he did (though everyone glows about the soundtrack), and with there still not being a complete nor totally accurate official release of the soundtrack, it would be great to get more on that.

Otherwise it's an incredible documentary on one of my top 5 films of all time. Sometimes I'll just watch the documentary, and when my wife comes in the room the first thing she'll say, "Are you really watching that again?" And the next thing you know, she's been standing there watching it with me for 20 minutes!

5. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

I really wanted to do an entire stand-alone featurette on Vangelis. I had been discussing his participation with his very kind manager Cherry Vanilla for, literally, years. I was ready to hop on a plane to Greece (tough life, I know) on a moment's notice for this interview. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when he ultimately chooses not to participate in "Dangerous Days" but then does a BBC interview after The Final Cut comes out. Oh well, perhaps next time, if there is one. Those rare times it rains here, I'm always compelled to put on "Blade Runner Blues" and stare out at the stormy horizon from the deck of my hilltop house overlooking 21st Century Los Angeles.

Thanks for the nice comments, Winston.

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Does anyone else find it freaky that we're 9 (now almost 8) years away from Blade Runner? I'm starting to look around and doubt whether some of these people around me are really human...

Fascinating story about Vangelis, Charlie. Would have been great to have him in there, but the documentary is still top notch. Easily the best doc I've watched for a motion picture.

7. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Not really. It isn't like I booked passage on a Pan Am space clipper or visited our moon colony 9 years ago.

- Walter.

8. WinstonCely

WinstonCely Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info, and reminding me that Vangelis is in Greece. I'm going there in a few weeks for my brother-in-law's wedding. Maybe I should look him up and ask him what the deal was with not working with you!?! :)

9. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

Some great videos on the Douglas Trumbull website

10. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

Thanks for these videos. I really cannot get enough of the making of special effects, whether they're oldschool, so to speak, or CG.

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

From: http://blastr.com/2011/03/sequels-and-prequels-to-b.php

That sound you hear is of a thousand female fans of Pris reapplying their raccoon-style eyeliner.

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

More cinema news sources on this sale of the rights:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/03/02/blade-runner-prequels-sequels-alcon/

13. zyser

zyser Auditioning

Dear Charles

I hope it isn't too late to join in and express my thanks, I also wish to add my heartfelt gratitude to you and your team for working on the Blade Runner 5 disc edition. This is truly the kind of release that is cherished and loved. I enjoy every little bit detail on each of these wonderful discs, and I am slightly ashamed to admit I watched "Dangerous Days" as many times the Blade Runner film by now, it's fantastic.

I have a question relating to Vangelis' film score on the Final Cut, could you recall where the music was sourced from for the final cut? Were the master "Music & Effects" tapes ever found and were they used for FC? I understand that Vangelis (in 1982) produced a 4-channel mix of his music, and was mixed for left, center, right, and surround to be later encoded in Dolby Stereo. I would be interested to hear if the Final Cut was able to use this 4-channel mix, or if it used a stereo mix of the music if the 4-channel M&E tapes were never found.

Thanks again

Joseph

14. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Wow, that was just awful.

Vincent

15. Will_B

Will_B Producer

What aspect of it? The assault on the original filmmakers vision? The amateurish special effects? The poor decisions about what to recompose? I'd say yeah to all the above, but, you were kind of vague there.

16. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Screenwriter

Joel Henderson
    Fan edits suck period. Look at all the fake Superman II ones.

17. Guest

I would direct you to Star Wars: Revisited and the upcoming ESB: Revisited. Digitally tweak every single shot, make sure continuity and plot flows, add new sequence shots and visual FX and serve. That's a fanedit done right.