What's new

Blade Runner 5 Disc: Thank you again! (1 Viewer)

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
Dear Mr. De Lauzirika,

I am right now watching the workprint from the Blade Runner 5 disc edition again, and I just wanted to spontaneously thank you for this truly great DVD set, which is probably the very best set ever produced for a single movie.

Blade Runner is a perfect example of giving the fans exactly what they want. It's an example how to maintain artistic integrity, but simultaneously acknowledging that there are fans out there who fell in love with something which the artist did not intend to create in the first place. I really hope the set sold well, and that Ridley will, once again, make another science fiction movie.

It's amazing how the beaten up workprint looks a LOT better than the transfer of the very first DVD issue.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Thank you for the very kind words, Oliver. I'm sure everyone on the team truly appreciates it. And I'm glad you're still enjoying the set after all this time!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday I rewatched the Dangerous Days documentary again.

Never feels like the running time is 3+ hours.

Awesome documentary, possibly best I have seen so far

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Every time I watch Dangerous Days and come to the iconic end shot with Deckard on his balcony with that beautiful Vangelis score I always get so emotional and a smile crosses my face. Finally Blade Runner received exceptional treatment on Home Video and it's finally got the recognition it truly deserves. Thank you Charlie and all those involved in quite possibly one of the best film presentations ever.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Thanks again, guys. It really means a lot. I began this whole project thinking it was going to be the biggest, baddest nightmare ever and it turned out to be a wonderful dream come true.

I hadn't watched Dangerous Days for several months but based on your comments, I popped it in last night to sample it a bit. Wow, I see about a million things I'd do differently now that I'm not the sleep-deprived basket case I was during final delivery in August, 2007. Maybe I'll get a chance to do Dangerous Days: The Final Cut one day.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

You mean there are still things left people wouldn't believe? :eek:

I laughed so hard when I heard Harrison's comments on the recording session tapes of the voice-over... :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll buy Dangerous Days: The Final Cut only if you also release:

Dangerous Days: The Workprint

and

Dangerous Days: With The Ending From The Shining

Be sure to include Dangerous Days: Screen tests (including the lost Eric Stoltz footage)
:D

+1 to all of the thanks already put in this thread. Even after Blu Ray has taken on a head of steam and has put out quite a few very reference quality Special Editions, Blade Runner continues to be my #1 rated, highest quality Blu Ray set. It's the one I demo to my friends to show them how HD can really bring the true movie experience, as well as the history behind the films, home. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
After reading this thread, I am really eager for my Panasonic player to arrive later this month. I've always loved BR and when Amazon had it on sale for $15, I snatched it up. Soon, I'll get to watch it.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
What exactly would you do differently Charlie? I of course have no idea of all the material you had so I could never guess but to me it's perfect.

I've always wondered how you shape hundreds of hours of interviews into a coherent story? Where the hell do you begin?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Charles,

There is a moment in Dangerous Days that has me a bit confused. Alan Ladd Jr. is talking about selling someone on investing in the production, (I think he is talking about Sir Run Run Shaw) but he doesn't say who he is talking about, and he actually repeats the sentence. Once it is his voice over some images and once it is a shot of him, but saying exactly the same thing back to back. I'm assuming this was an editing mistake that got past everyone?

Doug

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Yes, that moment with Alan Ladd, Jr. is definitely on my fix list. There are few other editorial mistakes here and there, mostly due to human error and an overall lack of time to polish and tweak in the final days.

I have a hazy memory of seeing my editors outputting final onlines and seeing them passed out in their chairs as they were supposed to be QCing their work. I can't say I blame them as we were all under an extraordinary amount of pressure to finish. And I'm actually surprised there aren't more mistakes than there are, considering how many hours of material were delivered.

As for what I would change, it would all be relatively minor. Smooth out some cuts, colortime some shots, improve some graphics...a lot of nitpicky perfectionistic stuff that 99.9% of the folks out there would never notice or appreciate. Not a huge deal. I'm fairly satisfied with the final result.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I know exactly what you mean. But honestly the Alan Ladd Jr. bit was the only thing that really jumped out at me.

That's the thing about being a filmmaker. The audience looks at the final product and just thinks, "that's great", the filmmaker looks at it and sees what was in his head. Often the final product doesn't live up.

Doug

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Charles:

Any chance we'll get to see DANGEROUS DAYS and the deleted scenes in High-Definition? Maybe an HD release would allow you the chance to do those little tweaks you're talking about here

Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The 5-disc set was such a bargain, I'd definitely be willing to pay for a separate BD of the supplements (including Paul's doc from disc 5) in High-Def. I'd just stick it in my 5-disc case in place of one of the two standard DVDs.

Vincent

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
Now that you are a year in, any thoughts on using the same extras DVD for DVD and Blu-Ray releases? It made sense when you were designing for 3 disc platforms, but would you consider it still good option for cost effectiveness? Considering that galleries, processed deleted scenes, and well-shot non-puff docs are only worthy of HD treatment.

I'm curious because I just purchased a Blu-Ray with a 2nd BD just contained a doc in MPEG2 480i. No bigger than a DVD. Thought it was weird, but I'm sure it's just to appease the hardcore BD fans.

Thanks.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I consider this set the best value of any Blu-ray purchase I have made and I wasn't a big fan of the movie before buying it. I like the movie better and the value here is just outstanding and I hope Warner finds a way to offer some other classic films with a similar treatment. Since I don't have a clue how any profits are made by offering a package like this at this price, I might be asking for a bit much.

Chris

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
THANK U!! bought the briefcase blu-ray&saw the limited theatrical release as well. huge blade runner nut!!! =P. totally awesome doesn't begin to describe it =).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
As someone who insisted that his wife get him the briefcase for Christmas 07, thanks again, Charlie. It's an amazing set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks