What's new

Bi-amping the Denon 3803? (1 Viewer)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Scott,

I did read the manual and the process didn't work. I even looked at the legend for the remote in case I was pressing the wrong button. I literally cannot change the input on zone 2. I will try again over the weekend to see what I can do.

I really just wanted to see if it makes a difference. I doubt I could keep it hooked up like that because the rest of my family has a hard enough time using it, let alone adjusting two volume controls.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Scott,

I did read the manual and the process didn't work. I even looked at the legend for the remote in case I was pressing the wrong button. I literally cannot change the input on zone 2. I will try again over the weekend to see what I can do.

I really just wanted to see if it makes a difference. I doubt I could keep it hooked up like that because the rest of my family has a hard enough time using it, let alone adjusting two volume controls.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
you can do it at the receiver or with the remote

at the receiver:
use the "zone2/rec" button that's underneath the "function" knob and use the "function" knob to switch between sources

with the remote:
switch to "zone2"
select a source just as you would for the amp's main zone

before you try "bi-amping" like this, you may want to connect a set of speakers "normally" to zone2 and fiddle around with it, btw

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
you can do it at the receiver or with the remote

at the receiver:
use the "zone2/rec" button that's underneath the "function" knob and use the "function" knob to switch between sources

with the remote:
switch to "zone2"
select a source just as you would for the amp's main zone

before you try "bi-amping" like this, you may want to connect a set of speakers "normally" to zone2 and fiddle around with it, btw

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Scott, I didn't realize the record out/zone 2 button is a toggle button. That's the only way I could change the zone 2 output. You simply leave the zone 2 volume at +2 and the main volume adjusts both. The reviewer mentioned the gain difference is the same across the 3805 and 3803.

Anyway, I like what I hear so far. The sound actually sounds a little fuller to my ears. It's not an earth shattering improvement but it seems to be better than as has been indicated in some of the messages in this thread were predicting. The receiver is working much harder, as evidenced by the much warmer feeling when I touched the top.

I am using Paradigm Studio 40s. I would like to hear if anyone else has tried this yet?

Update

I unhooked the zone 2 amps and listened to the same stuff again. It did not sound good in comparison. The highs were better and all around, the sound was much fuller. So for now, I have the zone 2 hooked up again. There is definitely an improvement.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Scott, I didn't realize the record out/zone 2 button is a toggle button. That's the only way I could change the zone 2 output. You simply leave the zone 2 volume at +2 and the main volume adjusts both. The reviewer mentioned the gain difference is the same across the 3805 and 3803.

Anyway, I like what I hear so far. The sound actually sounds a little fuller to my ears. It's not an earth shattering improvement but it seems to be better than as has been indicated in some of the messages in this thread were predicting. The receiver is working much harder, as evidenced by the much warmer feeling when I touched the top.

I am using Paradigm Studio 40s. I would like to hear if anyone else has tried this yet?

Update

I unhooked the zone 2 amps and listened to the same stuff again. It did not sound good in comparison. The highs were better and all around, the sound was much fuller. So for now, I have the zone 2 hooked up again. There is definitely an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks