What's new

Bewitched Season 6?? (1 Viewer)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

It seems the writers were running out of ways to incorporate the Kravitzes. Next season they only appear six times and it also happens to be the last time they appear. There are no Kravitzes during the eighth season oddly enough though they do reappear on the spin-off "Tabitha".

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Did anyone else feel a little uncomfortable watching "Samantha's Secret Is Discovered" knowing that Mabel Albertson suffered from Alzheimers? Every time Phyllis had a line about losing her mind or disappearing into oblivion, the smile just left my face. A little too close to home.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier

I'm actually more bothered watching Dick York take pratfalls, when the producers knew the guy had back problems!!:angry:

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
True- why did they do that? You'd think they'd make damn sure Dick's back injury wouldn't be aggravated, but noooooo- the debacle of "Daddy Does His Thing" in Season 5 sealed his fate. William Asher has a lot to answer for regarding this issue. They could've kept him on for the sixth year, all they had to do was have him seated/reclining/standing with little risky movement. Remember how Andy Griffith brought Howard McNear as Floyd the barber on The Andy Griffith Show after his stroke? Sure he couldn't walk anymore, but viewers hardly noticed- he could still deliver lines while seated at the barbershop holding a scissors. So why didn't they do the same for Dick York? All they had to do was hire a walking and stunt double! No offense to Dick Sargent, who had to put up with a lot in replacing Mr. York, but it would've been great to see York's Darrin holding baby Adam!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Oh, man, they had him tripping and falling every chance they got. That bothers me too!:angry: Totally unnecessary. And they KNEW about the back problem. At least with Mabel's Alzheimers, no body knew it back when they made the episode. It's just uncomfortable to me watching after the fact.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier

One of my fave episodes "Double Double, Toil and Trouble" (but not for this reason) has him actually falling and slipping on that throw rug. I wince when I see that scene. Very irresponsible on the producers' part.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
From what I heard about Dick York, he was a trooper and probably downplayed his back difficulties (even though they were aware). I am sure it was within Dick York's power (one of the main leads on a big TV show) to ask for a stunt double if he really wanted one. And sometimes I did see a stunt double was used on the pratt falls. I think it boiled down to Dick York feeling like he could do the falls on some days and not on others.

On a completely different note. Did anyone notice all the stuff in Tabitha's room like framed art from Bambi. I'm surprised that art from another studio would be allowed on a Screen Gems show. But I know that Liz Montgomery was an animation fan.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

I must agree whole-heartedly with your sentiments about DY. He was a "big boy" and could decide whether or not a certain scene would be too much for him. Not irresponsible on the part of the producers at all.

I also noticed all the stuff in Tabitha's room, especially that Disney stuff...nowadays Disney probably would've sued them but then again, as BW aired on ABC which is now owned by Disney, they most likely would've made EVERYTHING in her room Disney and took out all the Hanna-Barbera stuff including the Pebbles doll up in the corner.

I'm rewatching Season 6 at a slower pace now so that I can take more in and I've come to the conclusion that all the hatin' on the DS years has been mis-directed. I've found that DS is truly funny! He's nowhere near as romantic as DY was but he is funny and not as irritating as I remember. The problem with the DS years seems to be from the character of Esmeralda. She is a complete airhead!! Even more than that! And, please, I'm NOT bashing on Alice Ghostley at all. She is a great actress and should've been on BW but in a different capacity. Esmeralda is just truly dumb...case in point: the Caesar episode. First of all, she tells Samantha she can make the salad and then when she actually goes to do it reverts to a spell. Then she thinks it's a good idea to show Caesar the door when trying to think of ways to get rid of him AND thinks that Samantha and Dumbo will be pleased??! And then at the end when she starts reciting the spell to send him back and Dumbo questions if that is really a spell and she says, "It is if you hold in your hand the gizzard of a lizard and the tail feather of an ostrich." Well, if that's the case, why is she reciting it without them??? Now had all this been done by Aunt Clara it would've come off as charming...this business Esmeralda is irritating not to mention her sneezing fits.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Maybe indeed DY was a "big boy", but to totally let off the producers, nope, sorry, ain't gonna buy that. :) I think the scripts should have been tailored so that there were less pratfalls on DY's part. Okay, maybe Dick should have said, you know I don't think I should be doing this physical stuff...so yes, he bears responsibilty on the part he played. It was his health and obviously, some parts he didn't do a good job on. Like smoking--in the early seasons, Darrin is shown puffing quite a lot, but as the color years came, smoking was downplayed a lot more--although the boozing wasn't :D

As for DS, I'm agreeing more and more with what David stated. I think more of the bashing comes from memories of how Season 8 turned out with Darrin always yelling at Sam and Sam yelling right back (you kinda sensed that had they go on, they might have divorced!) and Endora popping in, zap a spell on Darrin, disappear for the rest of the episode and only at the end, pop in to remove the spell. The constant remakes and lack of imagination--heck, using some lines verbatim from earlier scrips, just makes for such a downbeat ending to what is otherwise one of the most wonderful shows ever made--the story of two people from two different cultures, falling in love and going on despite the obstacles. That is why Bewitched will always be timeless--because there is always someone who can identify with that struggle. :)

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I felt so sorry for Dick York, he was in a lot of pain and I guess with his being absent a lot they felt they had to have another actor. It was sad watching Daddy does his thing cause you could see how much pain he was in just standing there...I like both Dick's because they both brought different qualities to the show. I really enjoy Mona Sammi ... that one is hilarious ... :)

Also I would like to take a moment to pay tribute to Elizabeth Montgomery as today is the 13th anniversary of her death... May 18, 1995! You will always be a star in my heart... Thank you for bringing so much joy throughout the years not only on Bewitched, but the other great roles you did as well!!

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Hey guys have you noticed when you watch episode "Samantha's Secret Spell" that the security guard Larry has is also the one sitting behind Samantha on the helicopter ride to the airport? It's funny how much you notice when you watch the episodes for a third time... they sure did use a lot of regulars this season, which i like... I think people like Sara Seegar for example plays a perfect role in all her episodes as does Charles Lane

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I am thinking of picking up some of the seasons of Bewitched. I watched most of them when I was a child. What are members' feelings about the DVD release? I've read through pages of this thread, but I haven't been able to track down any criticism (positive or negative) of the DVDs themselves. Are people who own some of the seasons generally pleased with them thus far? Feedback is appreciated. :)

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
The DVDs are of themselves good-to-great quality. My only complaint is how Sony should have regarded Bewitched as one of its crown jewels in the TV DVD line. There should have been extras, restored original openings, etc. But otherwise, you are not wasting your money on any of these sets.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jude,

Thanks. That's a positive recommendation. I had one of the seasons in my hands the other day, but I didn't pick it up. I believe I will now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
If you love Bewitched, you should have the DVDs :)
Don't know when we will see another channel (in the US) pick up the series and most likely, the episodes will be futher edited, because we all know channels want to squeeze in even further ad time.
TV Land is now eliminating the closing credits (as we knew them) in favor of miniscule retyped efforts. How long before they even eliminate the classic TV openings?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jude,

Sounds like a plan. I will probably go through Amazon.com as I've had great success with them over the years. And yes, I really don't like it when I'm taping a show off of the television, and even the closing credits are butchered in favor of showing us what's coming on next. Ugghhh.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Someday, someone is (even if it has to be me, but I wouldn't know where to begin) will make a classic TV channel comparable to TCM. And the shows on it will not be treated like pieces of s*** to grudgingly show in between commercials and promos for other stuff.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

I would DEFINITELY pick them up, all six seasons thus far! The picture quality is stupendous (with the exception of Season Five's "Cousin Serena Strikes Again", part 2...it's really saturated color for some reason) and the sound as well.

My only complaints with the sets, aside from the lack of extras and non-inclusion of original openings/credits, is the strange minor edits done is S.3 which are the removal the frame showing the glowing orb from "My Friend Ben" when Samantha zaps up the tankard of ale, the black out of the screen at the end of that episode covering up "Part 2 Next Week", the complete lack of the recap to "Samantha for the Defense" and the black out in the middle of "Nobody But a Frog Knows How to Live"...though irritating, especially from the Ben Franklin episodes, they are not a good enough reason to pass on buying the sets.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
David,

Thank you for the information. You really seem to know this show well! Much appreciated. I'll be picking up a season or two soon. :emoji_thumbsup:

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
BW is my passion and I love discussing it with people...too bad it only happens mainly on the net as in "real" life nobody seems to enjoy BW.

BTW, I read in the other thread that you picked up this season. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks