What's new

Bewitched Season 6?? (1 Viewer)

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Also in "Samantha's Better Halves", which was filmed first with DS and intended to be the s6 premiere, we have a Lucy type flashback in the beginning to start the episode. I wonder what the original intro scene was like and that footage had to be filmed for then to pull the episode and re-work it. Too bad that wasn't an extra. If one thing Sony is really poor on--lack of extras. If they are waiting to save all the extras for a series set, they are going to have a lot of p.o. BW fans!

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike

You know Jude, I was thinking the same thing, because Liz was pregnant at that time and I bet it was different too... Honestly I think after all 8 seasons are released Sony will release the box set with Extras so we will buy it... that's the way they are gonna get their money... I think Erin Murphy toured the ranch with the crew and there are some interviews with Bernard Fox and ALice Ghostley before she died and maybe Kasey Rogers... as a bonus it would be nice if they include the E True Hollywood Story for Bewitched too... And you are right this is a great Season! I am going to watch it straight through maybe this weekend if I get a chance :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I think this season has a very nice energy to it. You can almost feel that they all felt re-invigorated by the changes. And some very funny episodes. Although, sadly, you can see the start of the descent into bad writing: usually around the Esmeralda character. And seeing it again just reinforces that DS gets a bum rap a bit.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
I remember Erin mentioning on her MySpace page that she had filmed stuff last year(or the year before) that would be regarded as bonus features. If the extras happen on a series set, that's fine, but I will be one who won't be buying it. I just don't like companies pulling a bait and switch on us fans. We buy season sets so that they will keep releasing the series, then voila, on the complete series set--it's chock full of extras (i.e. CBS/Paramount did this with The Brady Bunch). It's just a slap in the face to all of us who were loyal to buy the individual seasons.

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I am in love with this season...it's wonderful... now I am psyched about Season 7 as it is one of my favourite seasons... I love the Salem Saga... Do you guys think it will come out this year or next year? If it goes to 11 Months now it will be next April... I just hope they are all out by the end of the 00s... :frowning:

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I forgot to mention that I bet the Boxset will contain the original B&W episodes from Seasons 1 & 2... at least I hope... I will be one that buys it... I am just a BW fanatic...lol

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Those extras were primarily done for the Japanese full series set. But I think they will be available with the release of the last season here in the US.

It's great to see these shows again.

Back in the late 80's or early 90's Bewitched was being run on my local station and WTBS. They started to phase in new transfers that were edited more gracefully then the old ones. The old ones usually cut the teaser or a chunk of the teaser (and the cuts were done on the actual film). The old versions also had the opening credits upfront whether the teaser was included or not (it took me a long time to get used to a teaser before the credits on the new versions).

Anyway, when TBS and my local stations were in the same season I taped the shows and tried to piece them together on new tapes (yes, I had a lot of time on my hands back then). It was mainly shows from the 6'th and 7'th seasons I edited together to make as complete as possible.

Mind you, the quality was horrible, tape was much more expensive back then so I taped the master in EP and did the copies in EP but they did the job back for me then.

One of the shows I remember the different cut versions the most was Serena Stops the Show. On the older versions, the whole first meeting between Serena, Boyce and Hart and the manager was cut (they show Serena getting in past the guard backstage and cut to Samantha and Darrin watching TV before Serena cuts in on the movie). On the newer version they prune out lines here and there but keep most of the scenes. Both versions cut the little moment after Boyce and Hart's manager tosses Serena out and she is contemplating what to do to them outside the door.

So, my cut together version was basically complete except for that scene. I did a few episodes but it took a lot of time and stamina to go through both shows and figure out what to restore to what.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier

I hope we do get to see those extras on the last season release.

One thing I liked I about the old Colex version of BW--it featured my favorite version of the BW opening theme song. I certainly wish Sony had just taken the time to restore the proper theme to each season, instead of slapping on a generic season 1 theme to all of the DY seasons.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I hate that too. Considering that sponsor-less versions of the REAL black-and-white opening and the theme music for each season exist (Nick at Nite got the real season 1 opening, and I think that the Canadian Prime Network's copies had them, because I saw someone on YouTube post the season 3 credits with the correct music).

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier

I've argued this point many a time on various boards, that with today's technology there is no excuse why each season couldn't have its theme restored. You can edit out the sponsor tags or digitally erase them and properly put the theme music in the correct spots. The very least is that Sony should have included the sponsor openings as extras, such as Paramount did with "I Love Lucy".

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Yes, nothing sticks out like a sore thumb more then to have the color Bewitched shows have the same opening music as the Black and White shows. Especially since I am so fond of the chimey arrangements used in the color Dick York years.

I also bristle at the Sony logo at the end of shows instead of the old yellow Screen Gems logo.

I was able to get a few (uncut) Bewitched shows from Deja View, a Canadian channel similar to TV Land from a trade. Besides being uncut, they had the Screen Gems Logo.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
While watching a Season 6 episode the other day, at the end, the SG logo was starting then abruptly replaced with the Sony logo. Why can't Sony do both logos? Would it kill them to let people see the original production company?

I also made a trade with a friend of mine who lives in Canada--big time BW collector who owns almost all of the shows on 16mm prints. It was so refereshing to see the original openings, ads and the "Bewitched back in a moment" tag, plus the end credits with sponsor logos in the corner and the various SG logos over the years. I need to dig that tape out again.....sigh :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Coca-Cola started this practice (at least where Columbia was concerned). Sony made into an art form. :frowning:

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

and they are a trend setter. I've been getting CBS/Paramount releases of Mission:Impossible, Odd Couple and others. In the beginning seasons, they include the vintage logos. Now, they stick their CBS/Paramount logo on.

I don't care if they do it but don't cut the original logo.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'm just grateful that Paramount kept the old CBS 'winking eye' at the end of each Perry Mason! Besides, what's Bewitched without that old Screen Gems logo and beeps?

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I just think it's ridiculous that other studios can, and do, release their material with the old stuff in tact but for some reason the bird brains at Sony think it'll lessen their material or whatever...it's disgusting!

I just wish that Paul Brownstein productions who put out Dick Van Dyke Show and Get Smart had been in charge of BW. Those two sets are EXACTLY what every studio needs to do in regards to releasing shows.

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I remember seeing BW on TBS in the late 90s and particular in season 8 the final episode when the vacuum cleaner salesman comes to Sams Door... And on Nick at Nite they cut that part out... always ticked me off when they do that...

I am so psyched about Season 7 now... I love the Salem Saga... I hope they use yellow or orange on the next box set...

Speaking of Box Sets, I am pleased with Season 6...they got all the pics right and everything is well done... with season 5, they forgot to put Season 5 on the back cover... but I do want to get the B&W versions of Seasons 1 and 2... If they release a box set I will buy it... :)

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Does anyone know how many episodes in Season 6 that Gladys was in? I have been trying to count them... Right now I am counting 4... wonder why she was used less and less? I thought she was hysterical...

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
The Kravitz's sure did have a lot of petitions in this season didn't they? Cushions on bus stop seats, starlings, garbage, etc... I think this season is turning out to be one of my favorites :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I've heard rumors that some consider him difficult to work with. And only Paramount uses his services anymore, and only for first seasons. Still, he's the only one actually in the industry who seems to care about the presentation of these shows. I'd offer my services pro bono if they'd just listen to what people want.

Maybe if they ever release BW on Blu-Ray the "S From Hell" will finally return. But if Sony had their way, no one would know Screen Gems, Embassy, or any of the other now-extinct companies ever existed. I want the cheap, cheesy logos that came with the original broadcasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks