What's new

best sounding dvd-a or sacd? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will second Patricia Barber Cafe Blue, and add Modern Cool. Both are very well recorded (2ch, SACD)

I will throw in another second for Roxy Music Avalon. This one has not left my changer since I picked it up.

NP:BT Emotional Technology

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you like the soundtrack choices made in movies by Sofia Coppola (The Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation), Roman Coppola (CQ) and Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Royal Tennenbaums) you will probably like the Flaming Lips.

BrandonMLR

Auditioning
Another fantastic sounding SACD is Nickelcreek's This Side. It's an amazing high rez recording. Here are some other SACDs that I consider exceptional:
Q - was Let it Bleed's original recording sub-par?? I was not overly impressed... actually, disappointed with this disc. I bought it and Beggars Banquet at the same time... BB was vastly superior in my opinion - chance I got a bad disc??:frowning:

My favorite Hi-Res so far is the Flaming Lips DVD-A... as a fan I expected nothing less!

Sea Change (SACD) and Come Away With Me (SACD) sound nice, too.

Best "older" remaster so far... Blonde on Blonde (SACD)

DSOTM was great when I first heard it but I picked up on to many "flaws" (read: design decisions) I don't care for. Still worth a purchase, though.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Alison Krauss and Union Station-Live, killer transfer
Tell me, I have the DVD video of this concert and have found the DD and DTS mixes to be quite different, which one would be closer to the SACD mix? I like DTS but almost prefer the PCM 2 channel track as there is not all the echoing going on and I like to use the Center Channel for the main vocals where the DD and DTS mixes are 4.1 (no center channel)! Is the SACD 5.1 or 4.1?

Wes

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Are DVD-Audio titles deleted frequently (ever)?

I just bought myself a Pioneer 563A for Xmas so I'm gingerly sticking my toes in the high rez waters. I own a couple of Sam Cooke SACD hybrid titles (including the MC At The Copa and the Rolling Stones singles hybrid set,) and my fiancee owns all the Stones and Dylan hybrids (barring maybe Hot Rocks and the aforementioned singles comp). I'm wanting to sample the DVD-A format as well.

I seem to recall that there was a DVD-A version of both Vespertine and Harvest that I saw on store shelves in the past. I saw neither title at Best Buy or Circuit City over the weekend, and I cannot find a listing on Amazon for either title. (BTW, I am in Duluth, GA, so I'm open to suggestion for any brick & mortars in the ATL Metro that are good for browsing.)

I cannot find a DVD-A listing for Sea Change at Amazon, either. Seems like they should have a hyperlink category for these new formats!

I was thinking of getting Yoshimi... and maybe Pet Sounds as well. (I seem to recall lots of grousing about the latter, and the whole idea of multi channel PS seems odd. I've got the box set, and the stereo version is nice, tho.)

Is there a good place to buy DVD-A cut-outs? ;)

Anyone want to recommend the Last Waltz DVD-A?

Since I'm new to the format, I'll probably look at any extras, multi-channel mixes as NEAT-O rather than tediously gimmicky, at least for the forseeable future.

I don't think I want to hear any post-Meddle Pink Floyd ever again, really, so Dark Side... probably won't appear on my wish list anytime soon.

I'm open to suggestions also! THANKS!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi-

I don't normally pop into the music area of this forum. But this is an interesting thread. One thing that struck me in one of the lists above is Steely Dan's Goucho.

It struck me with a question, I bought that CD when it was issued as a DTS audio CD a few years back. So it struck me, and I know this is off topic but wasn't sure it was worth starting a new thread, I wondered if the mix is the same mix? And if other M/C SACD or DVD-A titles were actually prepared for DTS and ported over to SACD and DVD-A. Maybe this has already been discussed?

Thanks for indulging me. Nelson

Ryan_Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I think Pet Sounds is without a doubt the best dvd-a/sacd I have heard. I only purchase Rock/Pop, but own some of the best like Yoshimi, Vespertine, automatic for the People, Gold, Ziggy Stardust, etc. and Pet Sounds is so full and warm, esp on God Only Knows.

On a side note is it me or does Pet Sounds mostly have no activity in the center channel?

John^^Lee

Grip
I would second the recommendation for 1812 overture telarc, the dynamic range is amazing. I believe the vinyl had a warning to play at low volumes so as to not damage any equipment.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
SACD and DVD-A are amazing sounding formats if properly mastered, but these are my standout Top Ten List:

1) The Beatles "Love Cirque Du Soleil" (DVD-A).

2) Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" (SACD).

3) Porcupine Tree's/Steven Wilson's entire catalog (DVD-A).

4) The Police "Collections" (SACD).

5) The Rolling Stones Remasters (SACD).

6) R.E.M.'s entire catalog (DVD-A).

7) Linkin Park "Reanimation" (DVD-A).

8) Stone Temple Pilots "Core" (DVD-A).

9) Buena Vista Social Club (DVD-A).

10) Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth" (DVD-A) "The Downward Spiral" (SACD).

Special Jazz Classical:

1) Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and "Round about midnight" (SACD).

2) Bill Evans "Live at the Village Vanguard" (SACD).

3) Joe Henderson "Lust Life" (SACD).

4) Karajan's Beethoven 9th (SACD).

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There are so many nice recordings. Those that come to mind quickly:

Multi-Channel:

Roxy Music - Avalon

Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon

Beck – Sea Change

Sam Cook – Live at the Copa

Frank Sinatra – Live at the Sands

The Beatles - Love

Stereo:

Cat Stevens – Tea For the Tillerman

Traffic – John Barleycorn Must Die

Jennifer Warnes – The Well

Patricia Barber – Companion

Grieg: Complete Symphonic Works, Vol. 3

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Jay Gregory said:
Are DVD-Audio titles deleted frequently (ever)?

I just bought myself a Pioneer 563A for Xmas so I'm gingerly sticking my toes in the high rez waters. I own a couple of Sam Cooke SACD hybrid titles (including the MC At The Copa and the Rolling Stones singles hybrid set,) and my fiancee owns all the Stones and Dylan hybrids (barring maybe Hot Rocks and the aforementioned singles comp). I'm wanting to sample the DVD-A format as well.

I seem to recall that there was a DVD-A version of both Vespertine and Harvest that I saw on store shelves in the past. I saw neither title at Best Buy or Circuit City over the weekend, and I cannot find a listing on Amazon for either title. (BTW, I am in Duluth, GA, so I'm open to suggestion for any brick & mortars in the ATL Metro that are good for browsing.)

I cannot find a DVD-A listing for Sea Change at Amazon, either. Seems like they should have a hyperlink category for these new formats!

I was thinking of getting Yoshimi... and maybe Pet Sounds as well. (I seem to recall lots of grousing about the latter, and the whole idea of multi channel PS seems odd. I've got the box set, and the stereo version is nice, tho.)

Is there a good place to buy DVD-A cut-outs?
htf_images_smilies_smiley_wink.gif

Anyone want to recommend the Last Waltz DVD-A?

Since I'm new to the format, I'll probably look at any extras, multi-channel mixes as NEAT-O rather than tediously gimmicky, at least for the forseeable future.

I don't think I want to hear any post-Meddle Pink Floyd ever again, really, so Dark Side... probably won't appear on my wish list anytime soon.

I'm open to suggestions also! THANKS!
Some things may be out of print like 'Sea Change' I have the 'Last Waltz' DVD-A. It is a live album and not necessary the best sonically. I got a deal on it when I got it may moons ago. The store (now out of business Tower Records) had a sale (and I was buying a bunch of things) and had it marked as a single disc vs. double and I can't complain.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have many DVD-Audio and SACD discs ...

BUT if you have a top quality Blu ray player such as an Oppo which is connected to your stereo system, then sample instead the new range of Blu ray Pure Audio discs ... I have several and they have a warmer, more detailed presence than either SACD or DVD-Audio. Check out the range via Google and just choose a disc you're familiar with .. I have a mix of classical and jazz and rock and just love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks