What's new

Best Projector Under $3,000 - advice needed (1 Viewer)

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
I am getting really close to buying a new 1080p projector. That is the one thing I have, admittedly, not done much research on for my current HT project.

As I want to keep my budget under $3,000 the Panasonic AE2000 is my current front-runner. Does anyone else suggest something different?

(FYI, I will have a dark room with an acoustically transparent screen (1.0 gain) and a screen size between 90-120 inch depending)

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Well as I am a Projector virgin, I only know that DLP's cause a rainbow effect so I have been seeking LCD. Unless you advise otherwise.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
DLP's rainbow effect only affects a VERY SMALL % of people. You need to view a DLP projector and an LCD to see which you prefer.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

So LCD models have vertical banding and discoloration issues that also make people sick to look at. What's your point? :P

Regards

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Here is a recent overview of 5 cheap 1080P projectors.
Five Most Popular 1080p Home Theater Projectors
I recommend DLP as a first choice. Only a small but vocal minority of viewers have a problem with rainbows. I've been in the industry for over 10 years, and design, sell, install and calibrate front projection systems regularly. Through all this time, I've never had a problem with rainbows, no matter how hard I've tried to detect them. This is also the case for most of the associates and customers I have encountered. I can genuinely sympathize with those who do see this artifact, but you should verify whether or not it's a problem for you before you settle for LCD or LCoS alternatives.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Seeing rainbows is one thing ... getting a headache because of that is another. (You need to figure out if you are in the 1% of population where rainbows give you a headache ... before blindly ruling it out.)

We see plenty of problems with the other technologies too and people are hardly shying away there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks