What's new
World Wide Stereo

Beginner Floorstanding Setup- Looking for advice (1 Viewer)

TK423

Grip
Real Name
Cory
I'm in the plannings stages of setting up a new home theater setup. I'm pretty new to this stuff but have been doing the best I can to learn in a short amount of time. I've narrowed my receiver choice down to two- either the Onkyo TX-NR509 or 515. I've now moved on to speakers. I'd like to start with a 2.0 setup with two floorstanders and slowing add to the setup from there as my budget allows, probably working my way up to 5.0 for now. I'm in an apartment building and I think a sub woofer would cause too much vibration through the floor with neighbors and such. My budget as of right now for my first two speakers is floating between $200-$300. I can't really do much more than that. I'll preface my choices thus far by saying, I don't really think I'm an audiophile. I'm a new guy to the home theater scene who would like a quality budget/entry level system that delivers good, clear, enjoyable sound. I know most people seem to not be fans of Sony speakers because they are a company that focuses on technology in general not just speakers, such as Klipsch or Polk. I completely understand that school of though. But the Sony SSF-6000 and SSF-7000 fit right into my budget and have really good reviews on Amazon. Now I know that might not be the best source for opinions because those reviewers aren't necessarily the most versed people in speaker technology. Any opinions on those two models for an entry level 2.0 system with hopes to add more speakers as budget allows? If not supportive of those two choices at all, any recommendations for better speakers that still sit within the $200-$300 budget? Thanks for your time and any information you can offer. I'm sure you guys get this intro question stuff a lot and for that I apologize.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sony speakers seem to get good reviews from owners, not so good from the rest of us. Take it for what it's worth. Here's a few others to consider. Infinity Primus 363's if you have a Frys nearby. http://www.frys.com/ads/page11#AdNavi Pioneer from BestBuy/Amazon/Pioneer's website http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-LR-Designed-standing-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2S4/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1358010181&sr=1-2 BIC from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Venturi-Speaker-Single/dp/B00011KLOI/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1358010292&sr=1-1 Fluance? http://fluance.com/product/SXHTBFR_High_Definition_Two_way_Floorstanding_Main_Speakers.eng-56.html It looks like Polk Monitors (series I and II) are starting to disappear from Newegg.com. They were always high on the list.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only issue I have with the Sony(I've not seen any in person) SS series... They only have a 1 year warranty(which is a complete joke...darn near everyone else's speakers have 5 years) and I am willing to "bet" they can't be "repaired" in the future. By repaired I mean the woofer surrounds...when they rot in 7-10 years...I bet the cabinet is "sealed" meaning you can't get to the drivers to fix the surrounds. But..they are cheap. So, do you care...for the price...that in 7-10 years you "may not be able" to repair the woofer surrounds?

TK423

Grip
Real Name
Cory
Wow. Most of those speakers you listed are considerably cheaper than the Sony's and apparently better, huh? How come the Sony's are so high priced, do you really wind up paying for the name with them or something? I don't have a Fry's anywhere near me but the website has the Infinity Primus 363 on sale for $117 but they're backordered. Never heard of BIC but they're very well reviewed. I'll do a bit of homework. I've never owned anything by Pioneer but, if I remember correctly, I think they're pretty well regarded here. They seem good. I have never heard of Fluance but those speaker look fantastic ascetically, at least. Wish they came in black.
schan1269 said:
So, do you care...for the price...that in 7-10 years you "may not be able" to repair the woofer surrounds?
Hmm... To be honest, in seven to ten years I'd probably be hoping to be at a higher budget and hopefully upgrade. So maybe that's not too big of a deal in my case?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The biggest issue with the warranty for me is the tweeter and the crossover (if they even have one). Those are the things that can fail in my experience. If he does decide to go with the Sony's I bet he won't still have them in 5-7 years :) . I hope he at least considers bookshelf speakers and speakers on the used market. He might be able to get a complete good quality 5 speaker set on craigslist for the budget he has for towers alone. I think posting your general location (maybe underneath your name?) should be maditory so we know where people are. I wouldn't even mention Fry's if I knew there wasn't one near the poster.

TK423

Grip
Real Name
Cory
"Finally"? I've been a member of these forums for about three days and didn't know posting your location was a recommended practice. How would I? Anyone have any opinions on the "new" Monitor series? The 55T and 65T look like good potential options.
gene c said:
I hope he at least considers bookshelf speakers...
I figured because I'd be sticking with a 2.0 system for a while floorstanding speakers would be better than bookshelves. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bookshelf w/sub vs floorstanders will be a debate that rages on as long as "audio" exists... It also depends on the AVR you choose. I have Onkyo which include a "sound mode" called "Pure Direct"(calling it a sound mode is an oxymoron...because...) which is the complete absence of processing. To take "full advantage" of that kind of sound mode...you need full range speakers... But even that is debated because of the fact of "how much music do you listen to" that has information below 60hz? Most 6" drivers in a bookshelf will reach 60hz...no problem.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
He did say ChicogoLand! How did I miss that :confused: Anyway, that's why it should be a required field. Nobody would think to include it. But it is very helpfull since different area's of the country have different retail stores. As far as bookshelves vs towers, most of the additional cost of tower speakers is in the cabinet. And yes, they do go a little deeper which might be important if you listen to a lot of Pure Direct audio like I do as well. But you can get more for your money in the long run with bokkshelves. But you also have to get some stands which negates some of that savings. I go back and forth on this issue myself. Since there is a Frys in Downers Grove take a look at the 363's. They are a softer, warmer speaker than most Polks and probably the BIC's (not sure about that) but they retailed for $369 each. While their ask about the Polk RTi6's, RTi4's and the CSi3 center. They're also on sale. Much brighter than the Infinity's though. I'm sure the new Polk Monitors are as good or better then the older models but they're also a bit more expensive. Newegg really had good pricing on the Seriess I's and II's for a couple of years.

TK423

Grip
Real Name
Cory
gene c said:
Since there is a Frys in Downers Grove take a look at the 363's. They are a softer, warmer speaker than most Polks and probably the BIC's (not sure about that) but they retailed for $369 each. While their ask about the Polk RTi6's, RTi4's and the CSi3 center.
Yeah, they seem really appealing. I live uptown in the city with no car (I use public transportation) so I don't think I'll be able to get out to Fry's unfortunately.
gene c said:
Newegg really had good pricing on the Seriess I's and II's for a couple of years.
I remember seeing them on Newegg a year or so ago when I first started thinking about getting speakers and a receiver but then I got an old Sony HTIB set and didn't have much of a reason to look for a while.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could always take the bus/train out to DG...then ride a cab back... And yes...I know how expensive cabs are... There is a coffee shop on Grandview(I think) just south of the Campus just west of Sheridan. I go there all the time when I hit Devon for shopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks