What's new

Been awhile (1 Viewer)

Relishh

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
Well since it has been awhile that I have taken any interest in home theater.I am stuck with a bit of an issue.I had to sell my gear because I moved into a studio app. and need to get some new stuff.I have about $500-700 to spend.I have done alot of looking around and looked at Fluance,Warfdale,Jamo,Bic,Cadence, even Kef,Energy,Orb,Paradigm(if I'm lucky on eBay).I'm am asking if any one has any experience with these.I don't care if I had to get separates or a boxed set.I am looking for suggestions at this point.The room is a bit weird in that its above a garage so pitched on one part of it.Thanks for the help/idea's.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It's impossible to recommend speakers on the internet. You really need to listen to them and decide for yourself. I usually offer up some models in a certain price range that I feel are a great value but they won't be if you don't like the way they sound.

Anyway, I currently have a Jamo 413 HCS 5 5.1 sub/satillite speaker set that my brother bought but then changed his mind and went with Boston CS series instead. It's pretty much new and I've been trying to sell it on craigslist (too large to ship) for as low as $129 without much interest. People are either expecting higher quality which Jamo is known for or much smaller satillite speakers, like, well, you know....This set can be found on-line for about $199 shipped. It's not bad for the price but you can definently tell it's an entry level speaker system.

I also have a pair of small Energy C-50's which are very nice for the $69 I paid. These Energy's are a very laid-back speaker with an almost muffled sound or the exact opposite of a bright sound like Klipsch.

I don't have any experience with the other brands you mentioned except Cadence. I gave what I thought was an honest opinion of the F-17's about a year ago and it didn't go over very well with some folks. Let's just say I don't have them anymore and we'll leave it at that . BTW, there are to speaker companies with the Cadence name in them. One from India which are very high-end speakers and another in New Jersey which...well...

The bottom line is whether it's Energy, Jamo, Wharfdale, Kef, etc most speaker brands offer a veriety of models to fit a wide range of budgets. The Jamo's I have are very entry level but they also sell some very good speakers at a much higher price.

The most recommended speakers in your price range are the Polk Monitors from Newegg.com but Polks also tend to be on the brighter side as well. Then get a sub from someplace like Partsexpress.

I've always been very intrigued by Fluance. I've never owned them myself but they are supposed to be excellent for the price.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Since you are craving input, the only thing that I can add is that the Wharfedale Diamond (version 9.1 or higher) are absolutely incredible for the money. .. highly recommended... they are bookshelf speakers though, not HT satellites. A pair of Diamnods is around $500.

I don't know anything about the rest of their line.

Relishh

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
Thanks for the info.Anyone ever deal with Ascend? I think it'll end up bening Bic Jamo or Warfedale.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I haven't dealt with them personally but I know they are a very well respected internet direct company. The Sierra-1's are thought to be one of the best sounding bookshelves under $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks