What's new

BB discount on Klipsch (1 Viewer)

Mike:Corb

Stunt Coordinator
I work at best buy and have finally decided on klipsch speaker. I am not sure to get the SB-2's or Sb-3's as mains. I will get the SC-1 as the center channel. I am also not sure the get an actual surround speakers or just get the SB-1's as the rear surrounds. I will power them with an HK225 if you didn't already know that from my billion other posts asking advice. What do you guys think on what speakers?

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
the klipsch always had the stronger highs from the BB lists of options, and were definetely up there in comparison to their other brands (I enjoyed the Yamaha floorstanders, and Klipsch, most of all).... i guess depending on your discount is what matters, because i wasnt impressed with any of the bestbuy prices and lines after i went and auditioned some B&W 600 S3 series speakers. Infact, without a/b testing there was no doubt the 602 s3 was a far superior speaker to anything i had heard at bestbuy...

and with the STF, you wont need to worry (as much) with the low end frequency requirements.. so dont get too caught up in the comparisons between the klipsch models in the low end -- just quality of the mids and highs

but like i said, depends on that discount of yours.

Stunt Coordinator
I get the SB-1's for $100, the SB-2's for $140, and the SB-3's for $180. Those are all prices for the pair. I get the SS-1's for $160. I also get the SC-1 for $140. I was planning on getting a pair for Sb-2's, the SC-1, and the SB-1's for surrounds. What do you guys think?

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to help you out, but its not worth the risk. Any other opinions or suggestions on the system setup I should get?

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
my gosh.. for that price get the SB-3s.

That's a sick discount, and I doubt youll find a comparable system at that total cost.

Have you considered getting the floor standers? Maybe the sf2 or sf3? Some nice punch in them.

You really cant go wrong w/ that discount, and at such a rate, id recommend sticking with the high-end klipschs offered at BB, and getting a very powerful reciever to give them the RMS they deserve.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I can see the mad rush now. Multiple HTF members take on a short-term stint @ BB in order to be able to purchase some Klipsch speakers at bargain basement prices ... then turn in their resignations after the purchase. :D :D

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I can see the mad rush now. Multiple HTF members take on a short-term stint @ BB in order to be able to purchase some Klipsch speakers at bargain basement prices ... then turn in their resignations after the purchase.
You have to be a BB employee for at least 30 days before you can get your discount if anyone wants to know.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Ooo, Careful there. I dont remember what policy is exactly but I wouldnt go posting discounted prices on the net. You never know. Im not sure if you can get into any real trouble because of it but better safe than sorry. :)

I worked there for a couple of months got everything that store was good for and got the hell out of there before the holiday rush. That discount was SWEET! Just so any of you potential future BB employees know, the main discout is in home/car audio. Anywhere from 50-70% off. And cables and accessories are dirt cheap.Media and everything else was only eh. I worked in media so it was cake. I didnt really have to push anything.

Have you tried those new JBL's they got in? Or the Yammies? Nothing against klipsch. If you like the sound then dont waste time here get the SB-3's up front, SC-1 center, and SB-1 surrounds as suggested and enjoy!

If you dont mind my asking Mike what department are you in? I had alot of fun there, hope you do the same, and use that discount as much as possible! :D

Later,

Luis S

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Depending on the size of your room, I think that the SB-2's would be ideal...

My setup would be the SB-2's, SC-1, SS-1's for rears. I also own a HK AVR-225 with a Klipsch system and I love mine. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
For fun, you should check out your pricing on Monster Cable wires...when I bought some stuff with my discount it was like 75% off.

Stunt Coordinator
hmmmm, Chris says the SS-1's as rears where as everyone else has suggested the SB-1's. I really respect Chris's opinions on klipsch though becuase he has owned them before. Can I ask why or why not to get the SB-1's or SS-1's as rears? Also I want to keep the cost down and since I have a STF-2, will the SB-3's be necessary. Will the SB-2's be great as well becuase of the low end already taken care of? Also, this won't be a true theater at all, just a dorm/future apartement setup. Luis, I am in operations and it blows. But before the holidays, thats all they had availabe, they told me after christmas I could move out onto the sales floor.

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
I would definatly get the SS-1's as surrounds over the SB-1's. The SS-1's do a better job filling the room with surround FX, producing a wider soundfield than the SB-1's. My current set-up is a pair of SP-1's for the fronts, a SC-1 for the center, a pair of SS-1's for the surrounds, and a KSW-15 sub. I've heard the SB-1's and I do think they would make fine surrounds, just not as good as the SS-1's.

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Well it would depend upon whether you wanted direct firing surrounds or not. Do a search here and you may find some of the debate. It comes down to personal preference I think. I have the Reference equivalent to the SS-1's that I use for surrounds, because it disperses the soundfield better, based on my configuration. My theater would not allow the surrounds behind the seating area, so they are directly to the side.

I will say that if you intend to do any Hi-rez multichannel music listening that direct firing is the way to go probably.

Stunt Coordinator
thanks everybody so far, can I get a few more opinions on the what surround speaker to go with and why?

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike,

I have a full set of the Klipsch Synergy KSB Series (the predecessor to the SS series) which had the same basic line-up of woofers paired with the Tractrix horn.

I found that I preferred the blend of the 8” woofer with the Tractrix horn, as opposed to the 6.5” or the 5.25” woofer. I have sung all my life in many choirs, and listen to a lot of vocal music. I found that the mid-range and lower mid range sounded more natural with the larger woofer, more natural sound to the males voices in particular. It also handle complex music better, cleaner mid-range again. So listen to the blend in the mids when deciding.

I have the KSB 3.1s as my front mains, use the CSC-1 for a center and have used both the Quintets and the KSB 1.1 for surrounds. I auditioned, bought and returned the recommended surrounds as I felt they had a different timbre and did not blend well with the rest of the line-up. For that reason I went with the KSB 1.1s as surrounds. Very nice blend and the most seamless sound stage all around my room. Also the very first Synergy 5.1 set-up was five KSB 1.1s with a sub, and it got great reviews. The next generation surrounds did not get as good a reception, and my ears concurred.

So if I were buying today’s line-up it would be SB-3s for the fronts, SB-1s for the surrounds and the SC-1 for the center.

Stunt Coordinator
to make a correction, I get the SC-1 for $112 and the SC-3 for $140. Also can I get a few more opinions on what fronts and rears to go with?

Stunt Coordinator
this may be a stupied question to ask but since I have been reading the forums, how much better are the klipsch then the JBL NSP set. I have listened to klipsch and I know I like them, but have not listend to the JBL. My final decision on the fronts is the SB-2's with the SC-1 center and I am still deciding on the rears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks