What's new

Barking Dogs (1 Viewer)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Our next door neighbor has a small friendly dog and decided to get another one of the same species to keep it company. The new one constantly barks an irritating yappy bark when we go outside and frequently excites the friendly one to bark as well. It is so aggressive with its growling and barking that it scares the young children that are visiting us. It tries to squeeze through the wrought iron fence to attack the children.

The owner sometimes comes outside to get the aggressive dog and bring it inside. She apologizes to the children or us when she gets the dog. Unfortunately on most occasions the dog is left to bark which starts the neighbor's dogs to bark as well. Our once peaceful backyard on the lake is now dog hell.

I don't want to upset our relationship with this relatively new neighbor. We are considering purchasing one of the various ultrasonic dog barking devices such as the Dog Silencer Pro or the Super Bark Stop but it appears to be only about 50% successful.

Have any of you tried one of the ultrasonic devices to control a neighbor's barking dog? If so, how well did it work? Do you have any other suggestions?

Dog Silencer Pro:
http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Silencer-P...dp/B001P67330/

Super Bark Stop:
Super Bark Stop - Smarthome

troy evans

Screenwriter
Dogs usually bark at strangers. You could make an effort to get to know the dogs and the dogs will become less agressive or even bark at your presence. People you have over from time to time are another story.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

As a guy that does not like animals I have a hard time swallowing this. The neighbor has to know that their dog is a pain in the butt and it is really rude on their part to not do something to take care of the problem. I just can not understand how people have animals and do not except responsiblity for them.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I am afraid of even chiming in here. I have a Chiwawa that doesn't stay in our yard.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
We live in the country with only a few neighbors. Last year when she was a puppy, she never left the yard, but now she is starting to explore more. The neighbors are good natured, but if they had a dog yapping at me as I got in and out of my car, I am sure it would bother me. She doesn't bark all the time, only when there is a stranger around. I can see that there is a invisible fence in her future.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I'll chime in, then. No fear here. I'm the all time barky-dog hater, and I actually did buy one of those high-freq bark-stoppers. And I will report: They work. (It's funny, too. You have to video the dog getting the message. Yipe!)

But you and the bark-stopper will never train the dog not to bark. You just don't have the time, and even the constant use of the bark-stopper (by being mounted on a post facing the dog in the yard) doesn't help.

This is truly a problem, because dog owners who allow their poor dogs to bark and bark... What can be done with such people? The places should reverse: the person should be left outside and the dog should be allowed to luxuriate indoors. We'd see who's the barker then!

The best advice is call the cops or animal control. Let THEM deal with it. I have tape-recorded and video-taped offenders, and you should be prepared to give your name and get to know the inspector. (I have asked "who will be coming by to take the report or stand in the alley to hear the dog barking?")

Right. Call the police. The dog suffers. Help it.

MC

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your input Micah.

You mention in your first paragraph that the bark-stoppers work. In your second paragraph you indicate that it won't. Can you elaborate on that please?

Maybe this is what the reviewers meant by 50% successful! :laugh:

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth

I agree. Most dog owners I know would do a lot to deal with the problem to prevent any hostility towards them or their dogs. They might not realize how much this is bothering you. At least give them a chance.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Yeah, sorry. I guess what I meant really was that those bark-stoppers do work -- you can see the dog react! -- but they won't cure the problem because barking dogs are something only the owner can fix.

MC

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

I have to ask how can any dog owner not realize how much this is bothering someone? Who in the heck wants to hear someones dog yapping the whole time they are outside. I have children and I never expect anyone to want to hear my kids yelling and screaming in the back yard.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
The owner knows what an irritant their Hell Dog is. She says that anyone that comes to her house gets yapped at for about two weeks then Hell Dog warms up to the person and stops barking. But they moved in next door to us a year ago and Hell Dog still yaps anytime we're outside. Even if it got accustomed to us it wouldn't be accustomed to our guests.

The dogs are kept inside their home when the owners are at work. Hell Dog still barks at us from inside their home when we're in our back yard.

I'm having a privacy fence installed between our homes in two weeks because when the weather is nice enough to open the windows Hell Dog stands under our window on our own property and yaps at any sound it hears inside our home! But we can't extend the privacy fence down to the lake because the neighborhood covenants prevent blocking a neighbor's view of the lake. So we have a wrought iron fence there.

I've considered trying one of those Dog Whisperer things by going over to the wrought iron fence and petting Good Dog while Hell Dog goes berserk. Eventually Hell Dog may realize that it's not getting any praise or petting while it's barking.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth

I'm a dog enthusiast, but that's completely unacceptable. Letting a dog wander beyond its property will lead to mountains of other problems. I hope your neighbor gets a grip on the situation before something bad happens.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I would suggest speaking with the neighbor,
then send them a polite letter,
then a less polite letter then the police.

I had this problem a few years ago, nothing worked.
one night when i needed to get up at 5 am for work
the neighbor's shepard was in the yard barking at nothing but the
darkness.
after a couple hours and some yelling out the window, the police had to come.
The guy must have been passed out drunk, because it took a few minutes
for him to answer the door then the dog was quiet.

Marianne

Supporting Actor

Do your neighborhood covenants have any rules about dogs roaming onto other people's property or causing a nuisance by barking?

The covenants in our neighborhood state:

"dogs or cats shall not be allowed off the premises of the owner's site, except on a leash. Further, no dogs or cats are permitted outside of the residential improvement (house) without being accompanied by the lot owner or other individual residing in the residential improvement."

So, in this case, your neighbor would be breaking two rules by allowing the dog to roam onto your property and by not accompanying the dog when it is in it's own yard.

Stan

Senior HTF Member

They know what's going on, they probably just don't care. It's sad there are still so many people with attitudes like that.

I've got a seven month old Black Lab, neighbors to the west have a Bulldog, to the east a Malamute, next to them a mixed breed and directly behind me a Pomeranian and a Toy Poodle.

All of us have decent, well-behaved dogs and respect each others quality of life. Mine is still in the training stage, but if she barks for more than a few seconds, I'm outside taking care of it.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Man up and talk to the neighbor and see what you can do _together_ to help correct the situation. Calling the cops or animal control (without talking to the neighbor first) will not engender good will with the people next door.

You should strongly encourage the neighbor to watch some episodes of the Dog Whisperer and/or have them take the dog to obedience classes. The dog is either frightened or is super-excited / aggressive (likely due to its new surroundings) and needs help.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
People should be careful about the comments regarding the owners (whether they know about the dogs behavior or not). Many owners, especially of small dogs, do not realize how annoying their pets have become to the neighborhood and visitors.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

Wow, you are extremely lucky! Since the dog is on your property, you can just make it "disappear" mysteriously, end of problem.

I have the same problem, but the dogs (on both sides) are locked up in their backyards, so I can't do anything about it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
As someone who has experienced this kind of thing I can tell you most people I've dealt with take offense to being told their pooch is too loud.

It really all depends on how well you know the owners:

1- If they are friends definitely don't call the police or animal control. Hopefully you can talk the owner into getting rid of the loud beast or at least putting some other form of control measure in place. They make those shock collars. Sure, a little cruel, but after a time, when the animal learns, it can probably be taken off.

2- If you don't know them or even remotely suspect they'd be unresponsive then check the noise laws in your area. Use that against them. Take note of the times when the animal barks most and the police will catch them and take them to court. Years ago I had a wonderful policewoman take someone to court on my behalf and the barking ended. If you can get that kind of service then you'll be a happier person because of it.

The laws in my area suck. I had barking dog problems for 7 years. Often it was hell to the point I felt I was being tormented by these animals because of their owners (I never blamed the animal itself so I'd never hurt them in any way...people would often tell me "just kill that dogs!" I couldn't do that). It definitely effected everything I did for that 7 year period. I had 2 different residents live in a house near mine and they had extremely loud hunting dogs in cages (where they pretty much stayed for that entire period) and nobody played with them or paid any attention to them until it was time to go hunting. The first dog owner was the one the police lady took care of for me. But with the second one I got very little help from local police. When I complained directly to the redneck owner I got screws in my tires on several occasions and had to actually buy new tires because they were so messed up. The police didn't help in the least with that either. Could not prove a thing. I was nice to this fool when I complained but this guy was anti social. Not all people are that way. But many are. Be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks