What's new

Barking Dogs (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Most of these animals are just miserable. It would be really sad to take care of the problem by killing the poor thing. Call the police would be better. I mean, the owners would just get another!! You know that's true. A co-worker of mine once had someone kill every dog in her immediate neighborhood!!

One thing I thought of about my problem was using a crumbled up sleep aid on it put in some nice tasty ground beef. Better do some research on it though. And don't get caught! My neighbor's animals were too difficult to get to or I would have done this and experimented to find out the best dosage. Just want to make him groggy at night or during long periods during the day when he wouldn't shut up, not put him in a coma. :laugh: Some drugs are bad for dogs.

BTW, I've always had at least 2 dogs. Bear could peal paint.

SEE BEAR

But I'd had neighbors who didn't even know I had a dog. That's the way it should be. If someone doesn't have time for the animal to the point the animal becomes a loud nuisance they should not have one.

/soap box

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
A little story:
When I was in my early 20s I was living in a neighborhood where it took only ten minutes to cut the grass. That is how small the yards were and there were a 100 or so in a small area. It was a spring night so we slept with the windows open. I woke up in the middle of the night to a dog barking off in the distance. Other than that it was perfectly quite so the barking was echoing throughout the neighborhood. I dealt with it a while, but it as time went on I got more & more aggravated. I was wondering if I was the only one in the entire area that it was bothering. Finally I couldn't take it any more so I got up and went to the window. I yelled SHUT UP on the top of my lungs and it could be heard echoing off all the houses.

Much to my surprise the dog, however many houses away it was, got quite. Reminded me of a movie scene. The whole neighborhood was quite, just a cricket chirping. My wife thought I was nuts, but we got to enjoy the spring night. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
We've got the opposite problem. We live in a quiet neighborhood where nearly every neighbor has a dog and children. All are well behaved. It's the curmudgeonly old man that annoys everyone. He can't stand kids or dogs. During the nicer months of the year he sits on his back porch much of the day, and if a ball happens to land in his backyard, he actually walks out and gets it and takes it inside and keeps it. Fortunately it's not often that this happens because everyone knows how he is, so they take extra care to avoid his yard. But when back yards abut one another, it's going to happen once in a while.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth

Take that kind of action, and you may very well end up with far more miserable problems than just a barking dog.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

also i use a bark color that does a small shock, but it only works when he wears it.

the second I take it off he will start to bark right away.
I can loosen it because he knows that just being on he may get
a shock.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Watch out for those old dudes! I had one pull a knife on me, Bear and Goldie (as a very small puppy). He did it slowly too. It was freaky. Bear was barking at him but keeping her distance. He could have lunged at her and hurt her bad. I would have tackled him so he could have hurt me or himself too. That was crazy.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The barking dog is similar to the babies that cry in public places (like restaurants)...this is not trying to defend the owner/parents, but a lot of people are so used to the barking/crying that they don't realize how disturbing it is to others. That's why it's not a good idea to get tough with the neighbor. I like the idea of writing a pleasant letter or speaking friendly with them at first.

Some people just don't "Get It" and will take offense to any anger passed their way.

Of course, you also have the assholes who just don't care about their neighbors. I live in a condo complex and my neighbor lets his dog go to the bathroom behind my complex. All of the neighbors have complained and when spoken to, the guy out and out refuses that it's his dog. :rolleyes

Thank god I live in an association where I can voice my anger to the president and not have to deal with this guy in person because he sounds like a dick.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm not too worried about this old dude doing anything physically. He's got to be pushing 90 and when I do see him walking in his back yard, he moves like he's every bit of his age.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The one that threatened us died 5 or 6 years ago. I hope Bear bites him in heaven. Goldie also developed attitude at times so she'll bite him too!

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Update: The problem with Hell Dog may be in the process of being resolved. They bought a bark collar for him about three days ago.

Now when we go outside Hell Dog goes berserk, barking as usual. The owner brings the dog inside and puts the bark collar on him then lets him back outside. He barks for about 20 seconds then goes to the other side of the yard and plays in the shade of a tree with Good Dog.

Fortunately, I never spoke to the owner about the dog's irritating barking. However it was quite obvious to them that there was a problem and they've apologized to us on numerous occasions for the dog's behavior.

I've learned from past experience that once you bring up a problem with a neighbors "child" that the atmosphere in the neighborhood is never the same. So now we're able to have pleasant conversations with the dog's owners, the barking is improving, and there's no animosity between us.

I hope that the bark collar works.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Good deal! I know how that relief feels. If my redneck neighbor had gotten the message and gotten one of those he'd have a lot more friends in the area. But those kind of people put screws under your tires instead.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
As I posted in post #6 I am guilty of letting my dog run freely and terrorize the neighbors. (Chawawa) So I looked on line for one of those invisible fences.

They have one for dogs 8lbs and up. I weigh my Chawawa and she weighs 10lbs so I think things are good. When the unit gets here, I find that the collar is bigger than my dogs head. :frowning: I called up PetSafe and they recommend their invisible fence for cats. So I send back the unit. (still havent gotten my money back)

I purchased their cat unit and wait for it to arrive. In the mean time, we get second Chawawa. Now there are two running around, but I figure that I will get the fence installed this weekend.

The unit came in and I spend all day installing and burying 500ft of wire. We got 2" of rain in the last 24 hours so the ground is nice and soft and muddy. Which is better than dry when it is hard as a rock.

Now I got the flags in the yard, the dogs have their collars on and I turn it on. The loop light is off and the alarm is beeping. I made a small loop in the garage and still the same. I changes fuses and still not working. So tomorrow I will call customer service and I will have to wait another week while we mail the units back and forth to each other. :rolleyes:I guess they will terrorize the neighborhood for another week.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I finally got the invisible fence up and running for my two Chawawas. Beth is a 2 year old female and is very skittish. She does not like collars at all, so she spent the next day under the bed sulking. Jake is a one year old male and is very easy going and is already trained for a collar. We have a pet door so the dogs can go outside when ever they want so we haven’t had any accidents in the house. :emoji_thumbsup:

So I am outside working with them and Jake starts getting too close to the boundary. The collar starts beeping. He looks down to see what is in the grass making that noise and then it starts zapping him. He panics and starts spinning around in circles yipping until I got him out of the area. Beth doesn’t know what happened, but she is now spooked. I turned the fence off and called it a day.

The next day I am working with them again and they have realized after getting zapped a few times that the beeping is a warning and it is time to turn around. I think all is going better so I leave it on that night. At about 2:30 that night I am awaken by the sound of water. Jake is pissing in my bed about 2’ from my head! :eek: :eek: ARGH!! I put him outside and wash my bedding. He seemed ok the next day.

Last night I went outside with them again. We had a chicken carcass left over from dinner so I threw it out in the yard for them to eat. Once again things are looking good. About 9:00 my wife and I are watching TV and Jake is sleeping at my feet. Beth is still sulking under the bed because she is wearing a collar. The Jake gets up and pisses right at my feet!! :angry: I put him outside and break out the carpet cleaner. I put Jake in his travel cage for the night.

The whole family is very interactive with both dogs. I am expecting that we will have to work with them more and let time take its course. I am sure that sooner or latter they will catch on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave,

It sounds like you collared the dogs and left them to figure things out on their own. My neighbors with the invisible fence have shown me that there's a preliminary training process before you turn the fence on.

I've also been told by serious dog owners that you should never feed chicken bones to dogs, as they might eat them and choke or suffer internal harm.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave

Not quite that bad. I put the white flags out and walked them around. I read the instructions and I followed them mostly. I didn't like the idea of me walking them on a leash to get zapped. They would wonder what I was doing to them (bad guy) and besides the one won't use a leash. So I walked with them only with out the leash. This way when they wondered into harms way, I was there to rescue them (good guy). The process they have laid out takes hours per day over two weeks. I am trying to follow it the best that time allows though.

Thanks for the heads up with the chicken bones.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe the directions should be followed MORE specifically.

Chicken and most rib bones splinter and are the same as eating needles.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yep..and no fish either, speaking of needles. Also, I've had several of my dogs choke (and scare me to death) on those square raw hydes. When they say supervise on the packaging THEY MEAN IT!

Also adding these as a warning of what can happen: 1. Bear and Goldie used to play together a lot. Bear would playfully take Goldie by the collar and gently pull her around. It was the sweetest thing. But one day Bear got her jaw caught through the collar and couldn't get out. Her bottom teeth were keeping her clamped. Goldie thought Bear was attacking her. Goldie went nuts while I stood there almost helpless. Bear was hurting as her jaw was getting jerked around. I had to pick Goldie up and twist her a bit to get bear loose. Goldie bit Bear on her snout at one point. I still have anxiety just thinking about what could have happened. After that I never had their collars on unless we were going walking or riding in the car. Poor Bear. 2. My old beagle Rip neverly choked when I stupidly tied him in the yard with a choke chain tied to a rope on a runner cord. He twisted around and around over time. I found him one morning barely able to breathe. I had to use wire cutters it was so tight. :frowning:

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Update to Hell Dog: The bark collar that the neighbors put on Hell Dog will only shock the dog when the owner presses a button on a remote control. It is not activated by barking.

They rarely have the collar on the dog because the owner doesn't like the prongs sticking the dog in the neck. So we we're back to square one with Hell Dog barking every time we go outside.

If the owners happen to be around when the dog starts barking we'll hear her yell at the dog "do you want me to put the collar on?" as if the dog understands what she's saying. Regardless, the dog keeps barking and the collar rarely gets put on.

After about three weeks of not using the bark collar the owner learned that Hell Dog barks non-stop when they are both gone. So they bought a PetSafe Ultrasonic Bark Deterrent device:

Amazon.com: PetSafe Outdoor Ultrasonic Bark Deterrent: Kitchen & Dining

So far this device is working great for us but not for them. Hell Dog now stays inside their home and barks rather than running out the dog door to bark at us. The male owner is getting fed up with his wife's dog because now the indoor barking echoes through their home.

It was nice that they bought the ultrasonic device. It shows that they care.

The saga continues......

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Tuesday I'm looking at a house outside of the DSL range. It's in a neighborhood where every yard is at least an acre. This one happens to be 1.6 ac. It has vacant lots on each side (both 1.6 ac) and woods in the back as far as the eye can see.

You can add "boom cars" just under "barking dogs" for reasons I'm doing this. There's always a slower/more expensive satellite internet. God, worth it!!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Yeah, it's sad when you have to move to get peace and quiet. But times change too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks