What's new

Bad projector/, handshake, or what? (1 Viewer)

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
So I have everything installed. Using Amazon HDMI Basics HDMI cables. 25 ft to the projector. These are the issues I see. 1) When I turn on the setup via the remote and select "watch TV". The projector and reciever turn on (Tivo is always on). After it boots up and I change my mind an wanna watch a movie, I select watch movie. When I do this, the screen goes blue and then flash purple for half a second before it switches to the Blu Ray. Is this normal? 2) Here is the issue I have with Tivo. This is my second tivo box btw. photo sharing]

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Just watched Pitch Perfect......every 10 min i get a flicker of static and the sound goes out for 1.5 seconds. What is going on?!?!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep, in the "digital age", it takes the AVR a second or two to figure out if the sound it is receiving is 5.1 DD, 5.1 DTS, 2.0 DTS, 2.0 DD, 4.1 DD, 1.0PCM, 4.1 DTS, 5.1 DSD, 2.0 DSD, 2.0 PCM, 5.1 DTS HD, 7.1 DTS HD, 2.0 DTS HD, 2.0 DT-HD, 4.1 DTS HD, 4.1 DT-HD, 5.1 DT-HD or 7.1 DT-HD. The "flashing" of your Tivo/AVR/projector is... Am I sending/relaying/receiving 720P? Nope? Oh wait, am I sending...are you relaying and are you accepting 480I? Nope...hang on... Here we go, got it...sending 1080I. OK got it, relaying 1080I. I got it now...displaying 1080I. We're good to show a picture, all three of us are on the same page... Now the issue with Pitch Perfect...have you played another BD?

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Yea I have. I watched Flight last night. Same issue. :( I'm gonna try to order a HDMI switch. That's my only guess right now. A few ppl have had success with that. So bummed and frustrated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDMI switch for what? You have an AVR with video switching. When you connected the BD player to the Onkyo, were both unplugged from the wall? (Not just "off"...unplugged)

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, unplugged. HDCP requires a "chat" between devices. So, if your BD player was hooked up to the Onkyo and your Hisense...and "all you did" was unhook the Hisense, replace the HDMI and hook a projector up... The BD player is still expecting the Hisense on the other end. Turn it(and the projector/AVR) off. Unplug them. Give it 15-30. Plug the AVR in first. Plug the BD in, then plug the projector in. Then turn on the AVR, then turn on the proj/bd(order of those two don't matter as long as both are after the AVR). It says all this in the manuals of all three. HDMI can't be "hot swapped".

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
OK. I will try this. If this is a no go any other ideas? Do $5k projectors have this issue too?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Google... HDCP handshake issues HDCP has been the bane of HDMI's existence. Your "cable/Tivo" is not beholden to HDCP because there is no 1080P. I am doing a review of some speakers which required a re-set of the components. I was running a "long HDMI" from the front of my Onkyo SR707 to either a Pioneer 420 region free DVD player and my laptop. Everytime I swapped the HDMI I made sure the Pio and Onkyo were "off". I got lucky the Pio didn't go berserk. Anyway, I finally decided to put the Pio in "permanent"(explain later). I took a different HDMI(shorter) and connected it to the rear. When it was all hooked up and all "plugged in" to the power conditioner I use...I flipped the switch on the bar. No joy on the Pio. BD and Directv were fine, cause they went back to the original locations. Turned off the Pio, unplugged it from the conditioner(prior I had simply thrown the switch on the conditioner). Gave it a while. Connected the HDMI back, plugged it in. Still no joy. This time turned off the SR707 and plasma, unplugged all three from the conditioner. Repeat. Still no joy. Finally to "make it work" I connected the Pio directly to the plasma. That worked. Then, after turning it all off(but not unplugging) I reconnected the Pio to the rear of the 707. It still worked. HDCP is a fickle bitch. I will go through all this again when my Oppo DV970 shows up. I snagged one for $65. I'll be able to play all my foreign(PAL as well) movies plus SACD/DVD-A on my SR707... So, I'll have to make the AVR/plasma "forget" the Pioneer and become acquainted with the Oppo...I'm thrilled...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks