What's new

Are these good Emmylou Harris albums? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm expanding my collection a little. I'm thinking of getting these albums

Stumble Into Grace
Wrecking Ball
Heartaches and Highways - The Very Best of

Totally Emmylou Harris unrelated, but I'm also thinking of getting these:
Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition
Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full Deluxe Edition
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive Deluxe Edition

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Wrecking Ball - absolutely. It is not her traditional material, but it is a beautiful album.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Wrecking Ball is freakin' great. It's a Daniel Lanois production job, though, so don't expect clean ultra-modern sonics. What it DOES offer is a beautifully broken wail of an album. Plus, you get to hear Emmylou sing a Hendrix song :)

Stumble Into Grace is okay. It's rather sparse and bland compared to Wrecking Ball. I'd give it a listen first, if possible, before purchase.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
After having read many, many ebullient things about Wrecking Ball, I recently picked it up and--although I need to spend more time with it--I find myself taking visceral issue with the Lanois production. The arrangements and mix style he brings to the album aren't simpatico with my personal sense of her voice in a more traditional country idiom from years of listening to Trio and Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Vol. 2. But again, much more dedicated listening is in order.

Also hear good things about Red Dirt Girl.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, like with my DVD collection I have CDs in my collection I have not thoroughly listened to. With that said, the other Harris albums I own are her "Live at the Ryman," the "Portraits" three-disc box set and "Red Dirt Girl." "Wrecking Ball" was my first exposure to Harris, so I actually have the opposite experience as you. Of the others my superficial assessment is "Portraits" is the most classic Harris and I often see the set going for a very good price.

This is a good thread to kick me in the butt to listen to those other releases. :)

EDIT: "Portraits" is availabe at yourmusic.com for $17.97

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I'm not all too familiar with Emmy's material except for when she duets with Steve Earl or works with Buddy and Julie Miller. I do have "Producer's Cut" on DVDA and am stunned when I hear her rendition of Jean Ritchies "Sorrow in the Wind" from the album Blue Kentucky Girl. I'll have to give Wrecking Ball some more spins...

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Ya know, Michael, Wrecking Ball contains a Steve Earle song, the 2nd track "Goodbye". It's one of my personal faves on the album.

Her recent live album Spyboy is pretty interesting as well. Featuring Buddy Miller on guitar and Wrecking Ball's drummer, Brady Blade, it's a mixture of her classic sound and the more recent Lanois-inspired sounds. Plus, it has an absolutely KILLER rendition of "Deeper Well"...

Red Dirt Girl is also one of my favorite albums. It's a spiritual continuation of Wrecking Ball with more rockin' songs and even trashier production...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks