What's new

Are all screens created equal? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
I have determined that I am going to get a screen of approximately 133 inches in a Matte White Finish with a 1.0 gain for my Epson 8700UB.

Now the question is are all screens created equal or more or less equal? Da-lite seems to be a mid-range player and their screen is just under $2000 (that is quote from Da-Lite head office).

I have spent the money on the Epson 8700UB and do not want to cheap out on the screen. But there are some cheaper and don't want to pay for incremental improvements from one price point to another. In other words is a $2000 screen only slightly better than a $1000 screen?

Right now I am projecting on a wall painted with Baehr SIlver Screen and it looks good. I just have no frame of reference to compare. I would appreciate any and all input.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I've not had any troubles with my Elite screen, which at the 135" size, seems to be about $1000 for a matte-white power retractable.

I guess for a matte-white, the big concerns are:

• flatness (optical/hot spotting)

• flatness (geometric/ripples)

• reliability

It's been some years, but it seemed to me that some years ago, the Da-Lite matte-white had a bit of a sheen to it that might have translated to some minor hot-spotting. (I didn't go with them, but for other reasons -- I wanted an affordable AT screen.)

Leo

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
2000 for a quality screen is not out of line.

Depends on your budget and what value (or lack of value) you want for your dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks