What's new

Anyone has Movie Posters in their living rooms? (1 Viewer)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
It's best NOT to dry-mount movie posters! Once you do this, they have virtually no value whatsoever and the dry-mounting process is usually not permanent (it tends to yellow over time as the adhesive ages). Collectors will generally not buy posters that have been dry-mounted; linen-backing (museum-mounting) is fine, though.
Peter,

You are absolutely correct. However, since I doubt I will ever get rid of any of the ones I have had dry mounted it only matters to me that they look good. Plus I only have one that's worth anything. For some reason it's not dry-mounted...yet. Only thing I will disagree with on is the yellowing. I have a Spider-Man poster that is over 20 years old (not framed). It has not yellowed. The background is still extremely white.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I don't think they're geeky, either.
posters.jpg

The two metal frames were purchased from ShowOff Displays. They were more than $16, but they were quite reasonable.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
This thread inspired me to inventory my poster collection.

This is kind of embarrasssing. :b

2 copies of a 3 sheet of Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

6 Johnny Cash (1969)

3 The Harrad Experiment

Butch Cassidy

Mickey One

Big Bad Mama

The Warriors

The Graduate

Straw Dogs

Shampoo

Monty Python & The Holy Grail

The Worlds Greatest Lover

Evil Dead 2

Jackie Brown (DeNiro)

Boogie Nights

High School Confidential

Dreamchild

Invaders From Mars (1986)

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy

3 sheet Peter Pan

Naturally, only a few of these are framed and on a wall.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
When I was a student I collected Star Wars posters - I had nine different ones covering my walls in 1995/6 uni year. But they got really dog-eared and they've not been out of the poster tube since then. I can't even remember for sure what ones I had now...I'll have to check up sometime. One of them was definitely that stupid one where the artist gave Mark Hamill a six-pack!!:D

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Holadem:

One of the cool things to have in your house is movie posters. I think it lets friends now that you are into movies and Home Theater.

Framing a poster is the only way to go. One of the frustrating things about buying a movie poster in the past was finding a place to pick up one that fit a standard one sheet. You can go to places and buy the frames one at a time but they often don't come in the right lengths.

The best place that I have found to get any type of poster frame from is Show Off Displays. Rick is a great guy to work with and they have a large variety of wood and metal frames that are easy to work with and very reasonably priced. Personally I like the metal frames and he has added new ones that the frames snaps open allowing you easy access to changing out your posters.

I am still waiting on one day getting a dedicated HT so I can put up my original one sheets of Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Blade Runner is another one. I think I have about 30 one sheets that I still have to get framed. Some day.

Parker

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Jim_F:
Very cool and classy looking set-up. I love the L.A. Confidential poster. (Of course, any poster with Kim Bassinger in it is going to look good. :)) BTW, I have three of those same lamps in my house, one in the living room, and one in each bedroom. (Went with the incandescent version, rather than the halogen.)
$16 for a mail-order frame plus $30 for the glass and labor is $46. I've had my posters framed (black, matte-finish aluminum, with non-reflective glass) for between $45 and $60 locally, which is not that much more and is a lot less of a hassle. Just chose the frame, leave the poster and pick up the finished product a week or so later. (The cheapest prices came during framing sales that some crafts places run - get one framed, get the second half price, that sort of thing.) Just a thought.
Regards,
Joe

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
My turn:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
These 4 posters are on a ledge in my Living Room/Home Theater Room :)
I also have a Moulin Rouge poster on another wall.
The ledge really looks awesome now...we had nothing up there until a few weeks ago when I got the movie poster idea.
4 frames from Suncoast ($20 each) and 4 posters from allposters.com
My wife arranged the flowers in vases we bought from MICHAEL's.
I really love the added look this gave our living room.
I think the most important part is to pick the right posters.
I wanted BARB WIRE...but the wife said "NO!"
The Shawshank Redemption, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, and Saving Private Ryan really look nice. And I'm not just saying that because those are the ones I have up :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Michael - that's the 'six-pack' Star Wars poster I was on about. I much prefer the UK one which I can't remember if I ever found a poster of - the source of this one is obvious!!
starwars.jpg

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Theo,

Yes, the art you posted is very nice - it's my favorite of all the posters for Star Wars (mostly because Peter Cushing is pictured on it). Anyway, the poster you want to look for to get that art is the "US one sheet - style C" or the British quad (2 versions, one with a blurb about the Academy Awards and the first printing without the blurb). Ebay regularly has these available. The US "C" was reprinted by Lucasfilm, these will be the least expensive.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
This one time, in college, I pretty near wallpapered my apartment with movie posters obtained from the General Cinema I worked at. It was fun, but that was a bit too much :)
I have since decided posters in the living/dining room areas will be framed. In my current apartment, I only have four movie posters up right now, but I'd like to add more (I have a lot rolled up and stored, but no more frames). They are a little geeky, but I don't mind. Actually, the exposed speaker wires to my surround speakers are more tacky than the posters. :)
posters.jpg

I am proud that the three posters you see above are autographed. You might be able to see the autographs from Kevin Murphy and Jim Mallon on the MST3K: The Movie poster. The Fargo poster is signed by William H. Macy. The Innerspace poster is signed by Robert Picardo.
Although they are autographed, I haven't put them in extra-special frames. I have moved them between three different apartments, so I am pretty happy to have the less expensive and more lightweight Suncoast Motion Picture Company $25 frames. They don't seem to carry these wood models anymore, but they have a great black plastic frame that I actually like better. Since taking the picture, I added an international one-sheet for High Fidelity (unfortunately, not autographed) in one of the newer frames to the empty space on the left of the above photo.
Don, I'd be jealous of your signed Amélie poster. :D
I'd love to add the retro-style one-sheet for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical episode, if anyone could tell me how to find a 27x41 version (reprint acceptable) without having to pay an arm and a leg on eBay.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Cheers, I'll have to check when I go back to mum's if I have a poster of that one or not anyway!

Here's a question:

US and UK posters appear to be the same dimensions (roughly) but I wonder why US posters always seem to be 'portrait' but UK ones are 'landscape'. Anyone know?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I have a framed reprint of the Star Wars "Trilogy" poster, the combination one that was issued when the so-called Definitive Collection 9-LD box set was released. Frame is black aluminium, with non-reflective glass.
This was hung in my office, which at the time was in a rather "fuddy-duddy", "stiff", "conservative" firm, and I NEVER got any complaints from any of the bosses. Subsequently I switched jobs and it was hung in my new office, also in a fairly "stiff" firm, and again no complaints.
So that's the way to go. :D

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yeah but dude! It was Star Wars!! You ain't never gonna get complaints about that.:D

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
US and UK posters appear to be the same dimensions (roughly) but I wonder why US posters always seem to be 'portrait' but UK ones are 'landscape'. Anyone know?
As far as I know, UK posters come in two standard sizes, the Quad (30"x40" - horizontal) and the Double-Crown (20"x30" - vertical), in addition to larger sizes such as three- and six-sheets. Although I do have a couple of UK one-sheets, which are roughly 27x40, but these appear to be an exception. Looking at Ebay, most new films still have Quads issued.
US one-sheets were 27"x41" - vertical (now, the size is 27x40), in addition to other sizes such as Insert (14"x36", vertical), Half-Sheet (22"x28" - horizontal), three- six-, 24-sheet. Most of these other sizes have been discountinued in favor of the 27x40 size.
Why the two countries have these different sizes is another question. And what about Australia? They have the Daybill, which is 13"x30" - vertical; where did they come up with that size? ;). Not to mention all the different sizes from France, Belgium, Germany, et al.
Did I mention that collecting posters can get obsessive? :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Although I do have a couple of UK one-sheets, which are roughly 27x40, but these appear to be an exception.
They're becoming more common and frequently offer vastly different artwork from their U.S. counterparts. Two recent examples are Sexy Beast and House of Mirth, both of which have hung on my wall at various times.

British Quads are wonderful. The BQ for The Limey put the U.S. graphic designs to shame. The one for the original Scream, which I currently have on display, is one of the best posters I own.

M.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Not movie posters, but I do have movie related pics up - 16x20s.
I have pics of Bruce Lee, Darth Vader(2 actually),Pinhead,2001 A Space Odyssey still,Natural Born Killers still,A still of Gary Oldman from Dracula. I dont have pics of those, but heres one I do have:
http://www.geocities.com/tarim69/dvdpicpage.html

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Great Topic!!
I have collected posters for about 5 years, but most are still awaiting my HT room :frowning:
Soon, so soon...
My wife lets me have one or two out in the living room...the requirement is the frame and they must not be gaudy. The colors also have to go with the motif. Whatever that means :D
Currently, I only have the Titanic teaser poster. Very nice. Just has an angled "Titanic" and the words "Collide with Destiny..." as well as Summer 1997. It looks great.
She would also allow me to put up an IJTOD poster...the one with him in front of the door holding the whip and machete with my favorite tagline ever.
"If adventure ever had a name...it must be Indiana Jones."
Very orangish-red. She refuses to allow my Fight Club or Army of Darkness posters to go up (sadly, my "cred" posters :frowning: ), but the beautiful Disney (International or pre-release) posters are her favorites. They took me a bit of time (and money) to get, but they look incredible. They will all find a home soon.
So for now...only Titanic!
Take care,
Chuck

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Ironically, I have NO POSTERS in my HT (altho I do have a small collection of movie memoribilia there), and chose long ago to collect original INSERT POSTERS (14x36) and frame them for display.
Besides the original inserts I have collected (JAWS, RAIDERS, ALIEN & STAR WARS -- all hanging in a hall/stairway), I also have the original one-sheets for MANHATTAN and a CASABLANCA reprint framed and tastefully displayed in my living room. Upstairs are tastefully framed and displayed reprints of TAXI DRIVER and BLADE RUNNER, as well as a huge colorful full-frontal-facial promo of David Lee Roth's EAT EM & SMILE makeup job. :D
And the coup d whatever is a signed original one sheet of THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3; the artist lives near my parents on LI.
I framed everything by buying the frames in parts at a local chain crafts store -- Michael's or AC Moore -- and getting them to cut the glass as well. It makes oversized or odd sized frames more reasonably priced.
Tastefully displayed, beautifully designed movies posters are art.
MC

Andy_S

Second Unit
Oddly enough, I have an autographed one sheet of Nutty Professor II: The Klumps autographed by the director. I won it on one of those DVD News sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks