What's new

Anyone has Movie Posters in their living rooms? (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I'm actually glad Holadem brought this thread back, because I just bought a poster (Kill Bill Vol. 1 "Here Comes the Bride" with Mylar overlay on the Hanzo sword, in case anyone was interested) and I am looking for some tips on the framing process.

What is the best way to frame a poster for archival purposes? I want it to last as long as possible and to not fade... I know there are acid-free mattes and anti-UV glass you can get, but what are the most effective ways to prevent a poster from aging?

Thanks in advance.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have the Breakfast at Tiffany's poster up in my living room, framed of course. I'm a big fan of illustrated work, be it for movie posters, album art, whatever. If you pick something retro cool and illustrated I think it would be nice marriage of film enthusiasm and living room decoration standards.
BFSTATIF.JPG

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As far as the framing, I put mine together from various sources. A 27 X 40 sheet of glass is a pain to work with, so I'd recommend plexi. As far as the archival issue, just pick good materials like you mentioned and I don't think you can go wrong.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Anyone has Movie Posters in their living rooms
Gee...let's see.

That Thing You DO! autographed by Tom Hanks

Lost in Translation(Bill Muray sitting on bed) autographed by Soffia Coppola

She-Devil Autographed by Susan Sidelman

Bachelor Party autographed by Adrian Zmed

Freddy's Dead autographed by Robert England

Harry Potter & Chamber of Secrets(brit quad version)

Resident Evil (French version)

Romancing the Stone

Moulin Rouge

Goonies

Clerks

Chasing Amy

Trainspotting (brit Quad version)

Young Sherlock Holmes

Swingers(Yellow, holding up martini glass)

Daryl

Drop Dead Fred

School of Rock

Labyrinth (Bowie holding up glass ball)

Evil Dead (chainsaw version)

Army of Darkness

Ferris Bueller (Horizontal, leisure rules version)

Back to the Future (mini poster)

REVENGE of the Jedi(yes, I did type that right)

Professional Autographed by Natalie Portman

X-men piece autographed by Rebbeca Stamos

working on

Point of no Return autographed by Bridget Fonda

Ghosts of Mars autographed by Natasha Hen.

Secretary autographed by Maggie Gylenhaal

Labyrinth (artwork version, with Connelly's autograph)

Mighty Wind autographed by Fred Willard

In storage garage I have about 400 ORIGINAL one-sheets and a handful of banners and stand-ups

ERIC,

Acid free matting is a true way to go especially if you have an autograph with it.

Movie posters, autographed or not, really personalize your living room and house

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Yes, I agree with framing. I prefer black.

I currently have:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

Enter the Dragon

Leon: The Professional

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (small)

Mitch Pelleggi (X-Files signed) (small)

Men in Black (Film Stills)- (small)

and a wall of Blade Runner (various still, imports etc.)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the following posters in my hallway / HT room:
Annie Hall
Vertigo
Clockers
Taxi Driver
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Amelie
Manhattan
Cool Hand Luke
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
The Great Escape
The Man With The Golden Arm
and I just got Dirty Harry and Raiders of the Lost Ark, but they're not up yet.
Since all my posters are only reproductions, I've had them plak-mounted, which basically laminates the poster against a piece of plywood, with a black border. It's got a matte finish, and it looks really classy (I'll post a pic if I can borrow a friend's camera.) It costs about $30 to have that style of mounting done.
Speaking of reprints, I would also like to point out the fact that the original posters are much,much,much better. I used to think "why bother getting originals, since the old ones have crease marks in them?" but then I saw some original posters - the amount of detail / colour in the originals is far superior to the reprints. The most shocking example is my Cool Hand Luke poster - in the original, Paul Newman's face has a cold, blue eye that's incredibly rich. My reprint has none of the subtle colours.
Of course, the original costs $600+ so for now I'm stuck with the reprints. I've read that the best way to display posters is to have them linen-backed (for archival purposes) and framed with UV glass.
Here are a few links for vintage posters and poster restoration if anyone's interested:
http://www.emovieposter.com/
http://www.posterprice.com/home.asp
http://www.posterestoration.com/
http://www.nostalgia.com/
http://www.atstudioc.com/

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Has anyone ever plak mounted a poster? I was curious how it looked since I was considering ordering some plak mounted. It can be cheaper than framing if you are solely interested in displaying the poster, not preserving it's value.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
My advice for a 2 year old thread ;) on LIVING ROOM posters (ie, not family/HT/game room stuff) is to keep them minimal, consider a color scheme match not just "my favorite film", and look for art styles more like Cameron's Breakfast at Tiffs poster above rather than photo/in-your-face advert types.
Another way to give it a more alternate/artistic style is to go with FOREIGN versions of posters for well-known English language films.
I have tons of posters in the HT, but I would never put most of them in the living room and I certainly wouldn't put them on the wall so densely. To me that makes the effect more geek/dorm room even in a frame.
Mixing quads/one sheets/lobby cards could also work in creating a more artistic/decorative effect instead of just saying "films are cool dude". :)
Basically what Cameron said
I have the Breakfast at Tiffany's poster up in my living room, framed of course. I'm a big fan of illustrated work, be it for movie posters, album art, whatever. If you pick something retro cool and illustrated I think it would be nice marriage of film enthusiasm and living room decoration standards.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
In recent years I've developed much more of an attitude with what other people think. Personally, if they are framed, I think they can look nice.
I use the same black 27x40 Suncoast frames - good frames. I've got a Babylon 5 poster (official licensed LE poster, movie poster style, I had it shipped from Australia). Pics here: http://www.hughfleming.com.au/index.htm - along with some Star Trek posters that the Star Trek people might like.
I also have the LOTR Mines of Moria poster on the other wall.
Let's see, other than that, we have a bunch of anime wallscrolls (most of which are my fiancee's). Witch Hunter Robin in the living room.... RahXephon, Cowboy Bebop, in the dining room.
Very geeky, but eventually, you learn not to care if people think you are geeky!
All I have to say is, if you are a fan of movies (or in our case, anime), put up what you enjoy. And if anyone gives you flack, just remember that they are just un-enlightened! :D Just don't scotch tape/push pin them to the wall!

EugeneR

Second Unit

I went for three things:

1. I have to like the poster itself.

2. The poster should be something unusual.

3. Preferably I like the movie.

I have three posters framed in the living room--a French import of "The Fifth Element," a British import of "Blade Runner" and a one sheet for "Batman Returns" that was designed but ultimately not used in the film campaign (bought that one for my wife--not a fan of the film, but I love the poster).

I have seen some absolutely incredible foreign one-sheets for films that had the most mundane posters in the US. Well worth looking into.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'll agree with Eugene,

There are some incredible foreign/brit quad versions of movie posters.

Trainspotting

Harry Potter & Chamber of Secrets

being my favorite Brit Quad versions

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Sorry for the double posting, but I thought I'd let people know that allposters.com has a 25% off EVERYTHING sale.

Got the notice in my e-mail the other day.

I'll also try and get pics of all my frammed autographed movie posters, but I kinda want to finish some of my others, before I do.

Especially finish the Secretary one(artwork of the secretary bending over) I'm having frammed right now, signed by Maggie Gylenhaal(pic of Maggie on all fours autographed)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
No, every inch of space in there is taken up by shelves or windows. I do have a Werner Herzog Nosferatu subway poster hanging in the kitchen! :)
This one:
nosferatu.jpg

(and a Bliss poster, not framed)
bliss1.jpg

The silly artwork doesn't do the movie justice, but it's the only Bliss poster I've ever seen.

Hector X. Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of posters, I have a spectacular Darth Maul subway poster that I need to part with due to a move. It is four foot by six foot and in great condition.

PM me if interested.

Hector

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The only one I've had mounted and framed thus far has been the theatrical poster to Superman. That gorgeous Bob Peak artwork just speaks for itself. I bought the poster for either $12 or $15 20 years ago at a comic-book convention in Memphis, and it wasn't until 10 years ago that I decided to have that one mounted and framed. It cost about $60 to have it done. (It would have cost $120, but I had a 50 percent-off coupon at the local Fads and Frames store.) They got out just about every crease except for one, and they framed it in a really beautiful silver frame under glass. It still looks beautiful to this day. I've had people offer me triple-digit figures for it, and no way am I gonna part with that baby! :D
I've also got posters to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, the first Batman film, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, the original "villains" teaser poster to Superman II (which in my opinion is more intimidating than the theatrical poster - at least it was to me way back then), the poster to Superman III, a full-page newspaper ad of the poster to Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, the poster to Star Trek: Generations, an album-sized poster to The Muppet Movie, and a beautiful poster of Bill Sienkiewicz' artwork to the Marvel Comics magazine adaptation of Return of the Jedi. Any of those would look really cool to mount and frame. Maybe one day...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I Can't believe I forgot to mention the ones in my bedroom.

Naked Gun 2 1/2

Few Good Men

Muppets X-mas Carol(Gold foil lettering)

Cry-Baby

Mini posters of

Breakfast Club

Vertigo

Gothika

American Wedding

Knight's Tale

Italian Job

The Vidiot from UHF(the international version, with the title Weird Al loathes)

and my newest piece today, to go up in my HT

Pirates of the Caribbean autographed by Johnny Depp and Keira Knightley

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I have an original Star Wars "style A" one sheet hanging in my living room. I had it professionally framed. I think they said they air-matted it. No glues or anything.

I have too many one-sheets to list but heres a few highlights:

Harry Potter- Chamber "Dobby teaser"

Escape From NY Teaser (signed by John Carpenter) + release

Planet of the Apes 2001 (signed by Rick Baker)

Escape From LA "Snake on Harley teaser"

Lethal Weapon (signed by Richard Donner)

Star Wars 97 SE (Teaser and all 3 films)

Star Wars Ep 1

Star Wars Ep 2 + teaser

Back to the Future (All three films- one sheets)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
If anybody is looking for GREAT 80's one sheets, go to www.movieposter.com most of them are priced $5-$10, and there are some that are $20-$25.
But they have
Midnight Madness
Class of 1999
How I got into College
Gung Ho!
Book of Love
that I want

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks