What's new

Anyone has Movie Posters in their living rooms? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK, I am simply wondering if movie posters in a living room would not look er... geeky :b
How do you put these up in a way that would not make my place look like a teenagers bedroom? (no offense to teenagers ;))
Perhaps I should avoid the living room altogether?
Pictures would help if you have them.
--
Holadem

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The best way to make a poster look a bit "classier" is to have it framed.
If the cost of that is prohibitive, I suggest utilizing poster hangers.
Avoid tacking or Scotch taping!!
:)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't have any in my living room, but I have them in my HT room, kitchen, study and a long hall that stretches most of the length of the apartment.

I think the key to having them look classy is to spend the money on decent quality frames. That "teenage" look you're trying to avoid is usually the product of a makeshift, stick-it-on-the-wall approach that always reminds me of dorm rooms.

Sorry, no pictures available.

M.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
In addition to frames, the way to add class to movie posters is to pick a classy (or classic) movie. Don't put up a poster for Relentless 2 or anything like that.

For the record, in my HT I have a beautiful reproduction Star Wars onesheet (original was way too expensive!) in a properly matted gold frame that looks tremendous. Everyone who sees it is complimentary.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Ha ha, they are so popular in my dorm...
That's why i haven't gotten any yet!
Thought of buying an art print, but $$$$... :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
No movie posters, but I do have a big DTS promotional poster hanging over my audio rack.
I think well done posters can look classy, especially if you rotate them out frequently :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I've got the Italian Bad Taste poster on the wall opposite the living room. As others have said, the key to a classy poster is a nice frame. They are expensive, but that's the only way to go.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I have one large movie poster in the living room "Blade Runner" (love that poster design), and Sandra surprised me one day when she came home with a large laminated movie poster of De Niro in "Taxi Driver" which I put up in the bedroom.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
My only suggestion would be to choose your movie poster carefully. Lawrence of Arabia in the living room? Maybe. Pootie Tang? Probably not.

Jon

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Back when I was still living in a condo, I was given an original Babylon 5 poster as a gift. I had it framed, and hung it in the living room, where I thought it looked pretty good. This gave me the idea of using movie posters as decoration. Professionally framed they look as good a museum show or legit theater posters. While I've mostly chosen my collection because I've like the films, sometimes a striking poster design is enough - even if the film advertised was less than striking. And - given the cost of framing - I've sometimes bought an original poster that looked good and was cheap. New Line sold off a bunch of posters from their summer movies one year, and I think I picked up half a dozen for around three bucks each. :)
I currently have thirteen posters scattered around my two bedroom house. Three originals (Lost in Space cast poster, and the Pleasantville white/rainbow and character posters) are grouped on one long wall just inside the entrance. Wag the Dog is on the same wall, beyond the doors to the laundry room and the master bedroom, right next to the couch and the arm chair. The Mask of Zorro is on the back wall of the house, above the three-shelf bookscase that holds most of my DVDs. A second Lost in Space poster (a striking shot of a planet from space) hangs in the kitchen, on an otherwise empty short wall. Two original B5 posters (series TNT kick-off and A Call to Arms) and a reproduction Independence Day poster are in the second bedroom, which I use as a home office. In the master bedroom are smaller reproduction posters of Casablanca and Gone with the Wind (these are the only posters that are matted) and a reproduction of the poster for the 25th annivesary re-release of The Godfather. I also have an original Dark City poster, but a friend accidentally cracked the glass while helping me re-hang it after cleaning, and I haven't had time to fix it. (It originally hung where one of the Pleansantville posters now resides.) I had some others, but gave them away to various people as I didn't have room to hang them. I may add a few more to the collection, though, and "rotate" them on the walls, keeping the unused ones in the closet in the spare bedroom. (Of course, that would require cleaning out that closet. Maybe I'll just stick with what I have.)
I've had nothing but compliments on the posters, and with the frames they certainly don't suggest a college dorm room. I also have other things on the walls, including a few original ink drawings and decent reproductions of paintings (all framed, natch), so it isn't just movie stuff on the walls. But given that the living room (the whole house, really) is dominated by a 56" widescreen RPTV and assorted HT equipment in a custom-built wall unit (which occupies a whole wall), a few movie posters seem to fit in with the decor.
Regards,
Joe

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Current framed posters in our living/theater area:

Bagger Vance

Moulin Rouge

Pearl Harbor (Plane bombong ships)

Pearl Harbor (3 actors and plane with bomb)

Elizabeth

Cider House Rules

Along Came a spider

U571

Enemy Of The State

No, I don't think they look 'Geeky'.

Put some up, you won't be disapointed.

Cheers

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have one poster from Mulan in my living room. I'm not into the "collectability" of movie posters so I had it laminated rather than framed. It looks pretty good on the wall above my equipment. I do not think it looks geeky.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of frames, you really don't have to spend a whole lot!

you can order the dimentions you need online from a frame place (the name escapes me) for about 16$ then get the glass cut locally for 30$ or so, and have a very nice frame for very little. I chose a black aluminum.. but wood isn't much more

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I will definitly look into frames. Unless the $16 quoted above is an exception, it is not as expensive as I feared?
Thanks for the suggestions people, I always knew I could count on you, please keep'em coming! :)
--
Holadem

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I have in my living room several framed posters:

lolarennt

Night of the Living Dead

Edward Scissorhands

Halloween

Blue Velvet

A Nightmare On Elm St

A Nightmare on Elm St 2

A Nightmare On Elm St 3

A Nightmare On Eml St 5

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
When my basement theater is finished, there will be one nice 15-foot-long stretch of unbroken wall. I have a bunch of posters in the process of getting framed for that area: an original 1958 Vertigo one-sheet (Saul Bass art), an original 1958 French Horror of Dracula affiche, an original 1961 French Brides of Dracula large affiche, three original production design sketches from Citizen Kane, a 1968 one-sheet for 2001: A Space Odyssey, lobby cards from A Chump at Oxford & Treasure of Sierra Madre, window card from Dr. Strangelove, and few others. The hard part will be keeping it from looking like a wall at Bennigan's ;)! I've been waiting for over 20 years to have some of these items on display and can't wait to finally have it happen.
BTW - for my standard movie size posters it cost about $100 for faming and dry mounting at the local frame place. They look great and would highly recommend for movie fans to do this.
It's best NOT to dry-mount movie posters! Once you do this, they have virtually no value whatsoever and the dry-mounting process is usually not permanent (it tends to yellow over time as the adhesive ages). Collectors will generally not buy posters that have been dry-mounted; linen-backing (museum-mounting) is fine, though.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I will definitly look into frames. Unless the $16 quoted above is an exception, it is not as expensive as I feared?
AH HA! I dug through my email, and found my receipt. 10$ plus 6$ shipping.
www.americanframe.com IIRC at the time there was a sale, but it wasn't that much of a savings..
also, michals craft stores (and I would assume others) sell metal frame in various lenghts, by the pair. So you can buy it that way too, but it was more $ than mailordering, and I think amframe had higher quality stuff. I can post a pic of the frame I have if you're interested, it's nothing special, I didn't use any matting or anything like that.
BTW suncoast here in town doesn't carry poster frames.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Permanent framing is expensive. Temporary framing is inexpensive. For a 36x36 Warhol, it cost me $209 to frame, including a top of the line frame, glass, dry mounting, and labor. Dry mounting came out to be about $30, labor about $45, the frame about $8/sf.

If you don't need dry mounting, or plan to swap posters regularly, then by all means goto Wal-Mart and get a standard poster frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks