What's new

Anyone else having problems playing Criterion's Spellbound? (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This and other threads in the past have one certain effect on me: I guess I'm never going to buy a Toshiba player.
I'm not sure where Toshiba got such a bad name. I have nearly 400 DVDs and this is the first one that I've had any problems with.

I received an E-mail from Mr. Mulvaney also, so I would suggest if you are having problems to let Criterion know.

debi_lee

Stunt Coordinator
To follow up on Eric's post, anyone experiencing this problem should email Mr. Mulvaney directly: [email protected]. Typing "Spellbound" in the subject would likely be helpful for him.
I'm with Eric, my Toshiba is a fine little workhorse, this is my first isolated problem as well!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this disc supposed to have an isolated music/effects track (a la REBECCA)?
That's a trick question. It does have two music-only segments--the restored overture and exit music by Miklos Rozsa. They play against a black screen before and after the movie proper. Their inclusion might have led to pre-release confusion over an alternate feature-length music-only track.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just to add to the list, my copy of Spellbound is not playing on my Pioneer Elite DVL-91 DVD/LD player.

Rats, I'll contact Criterion via the above e-mail address. Thanks for the info.

Nelson

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Doesn't play on either of my Pioneers (DVL-919 and DVL-700). It did play on my PS2 though. I'm sendind an e-mail.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
It plays perfectly on my Sony 7000 and Sony 7700 players. This appears to be another Toshiba (and some Pioneer) problem and not a Criterion problem. Ever since the invention of DVD it seems that, while following complaints of discs that wouldn't play over the years, 98% were Toshiba firmware problems and not those of the disc. Tosh screwed a lot of consumers by charging them for firmware upgrades and fixes that were coming fast and furious at one point.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote: "I'm not sure where Toshiba got such a bad name. I have nearly 400 DVDs and this is the first one that I've had any problems with."

I brought that up and I don't know, either. It's just that I've got the impression over the past couple of years that when there's a player/disc compatibility problem, a Toshiba player seems to be involved most of the time.

But now it turns out that there are also problems with the Criterion Spellbound and certain Pioneer players - one of which I've got. I was just about to get that disc, but maybe I should wait?

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Thought I would help bump this thread. I tried my copy of Spellbound Criterion last night and found the disc will not load or play on my Pioneer DVL-909. I let the disc try to load for about 5 minutes and it never could get to the menu. I also tried it on my Toshiba SD 3109 and it would load the disc. But it took several minutes to get to the menu selection. Hopefully Criterion will be offering a fixed disc for those with this problem. I am definitely going to email Criterion about this.

I think this past week is the most problems I encountered with new DVD releases. First I have the Monsters, Inc. lock up problems at the layer change. Second I find that my Mary Tyler Moore season one set has a bad disc. I found disc one, episode four freezes on both my players. And now Spellbound loading difficulties.

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
Add one more player with Spellbound problems. It will not play on my Proceed model PDMT. It won't load, and I get a banging sound that I have never heard on any other DVD. It plays just fine on the DVD ROM of my computer.

Tom Fynan

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I received this email today:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Due to an authoring glitch on the first pressing of Criterion's
SPELLBOUND, this DVD will not load on a number of players. A new,
corrected SPELLBOUND DVD will be available in the next 2-3 weeks. If
you own a faulty copy of this disc, Criterion will be glad to
exchange your DVD when the new pressing becomes available.

To exchange your faulty copy, please send the DVD (please include the
cover insert with the disc) to the following address:

The Criterion Collection
210 E 52 Street, 5th floor
New York, NY 10022
Attn: Jon Mulvaney

We will mail a replacement to you as soon as they are available.
Please be sure to include your mailing address (U.S. and Canadian
addresses only - we are unable to ship exchanges abroad) with the
DVDs. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for your patience and your commitment to The Criterion
Collection.

Best,
JM
This is the first time that I've had to get a disc replaced - could someone explain what the "cover insert" is? Does this mean they expect me to send them the cover art for the disc?

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Good thing I haven't really ordered it yet, then. But how could it be that they "are unable to ship exchanges abroad"? How hard could that be?

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
My replacement Criterion SPELLBOUND DVD arrived in the mail yesterday. The original wouldn't even spin up in my Proceed PDMT player. The new one plays fine, but I can not access the commentary track.

Tom Fynan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks