What's new

Anthem AVM-20 & HDMI (1 Viewer)

RayC

Auditioning
I am thinking purchasing an Anthem AVM -20 processor. Should the recent news of HDMI play a role in my PRE/PRO purchase or will the Anthem's upgrade policy likely add a HDMI connection?

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
RayC,

Must be EXTREMELY recent, what the heck is HDMI???!? I just got off the phone with the Anthem Technical support asking about their next software/hardware upgrade on 4/19/2002, three days ago, no mention of this whatsoever, you may want to get in contact with them directly if you want to be 200% sure...

I was asking about the following:

DPL II

DTS ES (Discrete)

THX EX 6.1

THX Ultra 2 certification etc...

Please do let me know what HDMI is though...

Thanks,

-Alex

RayC

Auditioning
I'm sure someone with more technical savvy can add to my futile attempt of explaining HDMI. Basically its the "Big Brother" of DVI. In lamons terms it will allow you to transport audio and video via one wire. Here’s a quote from the article: "Built to handle high-definition video and six channels of audio, it transmits a vast amount of encrypted information in one direction." I know that DirecTV & Dish are coming out with DVI connection on their STB's and that SONY's new TV's will also offer this connection. Most notably DVI has stirred up some controversy because it threatens to cause all HDTV's w/o a DVI connection obsolete and may render the consumers ability to record HDTV content improbable. Anywho, hopefully a DVI connection is a possibility on the Anthem AVM-20, it would cut down on the wires!!!
Link to HDMI article

Han

Second Unit
Here's a link to SGHT's blurb on the topic:
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/shownews.cgi?1274
Of interest is the following:
"No mention has been made of how HDMI will or can be integrated with the several million HDTV products already in use that sport only analog video connections."
I'd be very furious, and I assume many others too, if there isn't a way to go from HDMI to component video with full resolution (not downgraded) video signals outputted.

RayC

Auditioning
Attached is the message I received from anthem...

About the only thing to be said right now is that the AVM20 wasn't planned to incorporated DVI, and since there's no space left on the rear panel, it appears unlikely that it'll happen. Planned upgrades involve internal changes only.
Real encouraging!!!

Bob_J_M

Agent
RayC,

HDMI and DVI/HDCP are useless unless your display has a DVI/HDCP input - or you plan to get a display with that type of input. Focus is coming out with a processor that has optional DVI/HDCP in/out.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
RayC,

It sounds like the Anthem AVM-20 is not the processor for you, given your priorities. I would be curious, though, which current processors on the market are capable of this type of upgrade? I would think that the Theta Casablanca and some of the Meridian processors might be, but besides those I draw a blank.

Michael

Philip Brandes

Stunt Coordinator
I would be curious, though, which current processors on the market are capable of this type of upgrade? I would think that the Theta Casablanca and some of the Meridian processors might be, but besides those I draw a blank.
Any pre/pro with at least one expansion slot for a plug-in daughtercard could accommodate a DVI/HDMI upgrade. The Lexicon MC-12, for example, has three such slots, and there are several other pre/pros with expansion slots. Of course, that's no guarantee that a manufacturer will implement this capability, only that the potential is there.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks