What's new

Andy Griffith Show Complete series. (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Universal is the only major studio that hasn't released a complete series set (of a show that ran multiple seasons). I should ask them if they have plans to...

Gord

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

While you're at it, please ask them what the plans are for the remaining "Leave it to Beavers" seasons.

Gary "not trying to derail the thread, but when Gord mentioned asking Universal about something, this quickly came to mind" O.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I am glad that I found this forum, thanks for all of the info! I own Macgyver complete sets as well as The Andy Griffith Show, etc and I have been wanting the Macgyver movies for a long time, I don't believe that I have ever seen the movies and I really hope that they bring the movies on a seperate disc for the loyal fans. I don't understand why they wouldn't, because it is not hard to do and NO one is going to buy the whole set over again just to get the movies. This is also going on with the I Love Lucy Movie, and others speculating that they are doing complete sets with the added bonuses... Which seem fair if they also add a seperate disc as well, it just makes since.

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator
Gord,

Any followup word on whether we will see a DUKES box set, and if not, why do you think Warner will pass on it? Hasn't this series sold just as well or better than Andy Griffith?

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I have purchased season 1-5 and I am not sure about buying the episodes without Don Knotts and color but I am enjoying the ones that I do have. I think that $30 per set is pretty expensive without bonuses. I bought a few sets on ebay for about $20-25 @ a great price, I recommend trying out the auction site or half.com. I bought the rest at Deep Discount DVD online for about $28-$29 which is the cheapest that I have been able to find the sets online at a few dollar savings. I hope that they do bring a seperate set for the Andy Griffith Movie because I would enjoy seeing Helen and Andy getting married, which I never seen before. I don't think it would be fair to make this included in a complete set because a lot of fans allready bought the complete sets and can't buy it over again just for the bonuses.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I don't know if anyone is interested but www.deepdiscount.com DVD store has a sell on The Andy Griffith Show boxed sets @ only $21.05 each for seasons 1-4 only and free shipping. I order from them all of the time, I will probably order seasons 6-8 if they mark them down as well but right now they are almost $30.00 each. I don't know why they didn't mark them all down...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I can hardly wait to buy this whole show. I'll definately grab it all at once for about $150 (or hopefully less) within a few years. Worth every penny.

The non-Knotts episodes take a little adjusting to, but once I'm there I usually have a good time with them as well. I particularly like the one where Andy is forced to eat spaghetti about a 100 times and the one where Opie and his friend find a baby. It's worth watching those so you can start on Episode 1 right after. ;)

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
For example this is what I mean.

Brady Bunch, and Mash, and Friends for example also.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
I received my set last friday. The DVDs for each season looks to be the same ones that were in the original sets. I haven't had a whole lot of time to watch any of them so I may be wrong but I checked out the "The Darlings are Coming" from Season 3 and it was still the edited episode and season 4 looked to be the corrected DVDs you could get per the Paramount exchange program.

The bonus disc was in the season 1 digipack and there was a 3rd bonus feature that I had not seen mentioned in any news about the complete set. The episode "Opie Joins the Marines" from Season 2 of Gomer Pyle USMC. Surprise! Surprise!

Each season is in a digipack that folds out so you can see all the discs but the only thing holding them in place is a slit in the cardboard that holds the bottom half of the discs in place. A couple of the discs had gotten loose during shipping but they weren't scratched up. All in all I am happy with the set and Return to Mayberry is finally on DVD. Hopefully Warner will do
something with Mayberry RFD one of these days.

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully, a separate disc of "Return to Mayberry" will be forthcoming, for all us folks who purchased the Andy Griffith sets as they were being released individually, season by season. Were it not for all of us, that final complete set with the extras would likely have never been a reality.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob

Hey, not to be bothersome, but could you post pics of the box open, and of the special disc and things? Thanks.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
for anyone interested, this set would come to around $120 with free shipping from DDD with the 20% off sale going on now (thru 6/17).

you could add my name to the list for Mayberry RFD as well. But wasn't this title brought up in the recent tv chat with the answer "not being looked into"?

RowMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Rowland
If you waited until now to purchase any of the Andy Griffith Show season sets, this is a decent deal only because the price has been reduced compared to the individual season sets. For those who already have one or more seasons, the new extras in this new all-season set are no big whoop and in my opinion is not worth purchasing.

Unfortunately, the pilot episode included in this set is a syndicated version which is edited by about 2 and a half minutes. This is the same version already available on the Make Room For Daddy - The Complete Fifth Season DVD set. The full length pilot had been released on VHS, but has been out-of-print for a few years now. Why couldn't Paramount include the full length version? We know it exists.

The two edited episodes in Season 3 remain edited. "The Darlings Are Coming" is the heavily cut syndicated version that, among other things, omits the Darling family's toe-tapping rendition of "Salty Dog". The "Barney Mends A Broken Heart" episode is still missing its epilogue where Nurse Peggy is tending to Andy's blackened eye while Barney accidentally let's it slip that he and Andy had been out with other women the previous night. Source material does exist that would restore these episodes to their full length glory.

The episodes on discs 1 and 2 of Season 4 that were missing the laugh tracks have been corrected, but this was done way before this new box set was ever announced. If you have these discs without the laugh tracks, I believe Paramount is still replacing them with the corrected ones.

A surprise was that the "Opie Joins The Marines" episode of Gomer Pyle, USMC has been included. However, this will be released anyway when Season 2 of that series rolls around in a few months.

The TV movie, "Return To Mayberry" finally makes it's way to DVD as a bonus feature in this set. It is uncut and presented just as originally broadcast in 1986. Hopefully it will be released as a separate disc for those who already have some or all of this series.

Without even going into the shoddy packaging issues, this new box set is a disappointment compared to the prevously released season sets. For whatever reason, Paramount chose not to fix most of their prior errors and then gave us sub-standard extras. The new lower price would be the only reason to buy this set if you don't already have any of the individually released seasons. If you do already have them, stick with 'em.

Feel free to send me a private message if you're interested in getting hold of the material that's lacking in this series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks