What's new

Anchor Bay to re-release Evil Dead 2 (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
I would assume so. Well if anyone can follow up on multiple dips it's them right? I mean only CTHV would do more with a deluxe and superbit simultaneous release with different features :)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
It should be either Universal or MGM that owns the US rights. All "Army of Darkness" merchandise from the past few years has the MGM logo on it.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Unless you prefer NTSC, in which case I would have to go with the MGM disc from Japan (or was it Korea?). In any event, same great transfer, with no PAL speed-up.

-Lyle J.P.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

I don't know if there was a Japanese release, but there are various identical Asian releases from MGM (Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc.), all with the same great (NTSC) transfer.

DJ

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Well, if MGM has the US rights it's probably only a matter of time before they release that disc here.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

I just hope it's not full-frame like their region 1 release of the true theatrical cut of MANHUNTER, when the overseas MGM releases of MANHUNTER are all OAR and anamorphic.

Vincent

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

god i hope not but the type of people that buy AOD would never buy a butchered oar disc, as we all know what we are doing.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I have the 1999 released 2-Disc Army of Darkness: Limited Edition Anchor Bay version. All four of my DVD players are R1 NTSC player. Which version that's compatable with my players has the best looking transfer?

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
No problem Mike. I'm in no rush at all. Please don't go to any trouble. Here is a link to my collection with the actual version listed that I have, including the UPC code.

Looking at dvdbeavers caps the MGM R3 NTSC has the best looking transfer. Unfortunately I can only play R1. :frowning:

I wonder if this Universal version is equal to the R3 MGM version. Isn't Universal and MGM together?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Being a DEG title I didn't think it was guarantied to go to anyone in particular.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

No. Sony bought MGM. Universal is not involved. And, anyway, that Universal disc was released in 1998, long before Sony bought MGM.

DJ

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
If MGM owns now the rights of AOD in USA, maybe we'll have a Book of the Dead edition with the theatrical cut AND the director's cut with the same great transfer as for the R3 MGM DVD...

I hope so.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else a little underwhelmed with the specs?
I was hoping for a dts 6.1 track at least...

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Damin,

Thanks for the link. I see what you mean after comparing the screencaps of the Universal R1 version to MGM's R3 version. Universals just don't cut it.

I hope so too.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Well, not actually DEG, but Dino de Laurentiis Communications, another of the heads on the de Laurentiis hydra. I think DEG died out in the late 80s, along with their presence in North Carolina.

Anyway, your point is well taken. The rights to AOD are surely a scattershot affair across the globe, and this contributed in no small part to Anchor Bay's inability to getting elements for their version of the director's cut. As Vincent P. can tell us, it's probably also a contributing factor in the various rightsholders, versions, and available elements for Manhunter around the globe.

As for AOD, I have a hunch that Universal will be retaining rights for the US, though.

DJ

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Oh, I totaly forgot to add the message from Anchor Bay:

Anyway, I made my own "Book Of The Dead Edition" design with a double Keep Case, for the Anchor Bay Theatrical Cut and my MGM Region 3 Director's Cut. Really cool! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks