What's new

Anchor Bay to re-release Evil Dead 2 (1 Viewer)

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
^ thanks for that still no date tho :frowning:

but as the long promised free enterprise s.e. is on that page breath not being held here

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen anyone post the special features, but here they are, straight from Anchor Bay's website:

looks like the only new extra is "Evil Dead 2: Behind-The-Screams". All signs point to this being a new featurette of some kind, although there was a still gallery called "Behind The Screams" on the old disc. I hope it's the full "behind the scenes footage" clip that was on the Elite laserdisc.

edit: that is the name of the behind-the-scenes footage clip from the Elite laserdisc. Looks like we're just getting new a/v and an existing extra that didn't make it to DVD the first time around. That works for me.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Cool, that's what I wanted....only more unseen footage from Nicotero's tape! Oh well, sounds good.

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
Sam Raimi is a big Stephen King fan, and if you read a lot of King you start to think about a whole bunch of different universes. Some are close together and some are far apart.

My theory is that Evil Dead 2 takes place in a universe that's right next door to the one in Evil Dead 1. It has a guy named Ash and a girlfriend named Linda, they're in a cabin, and "evil dead" are trying to get them. After that, it's different, but sort of the same. There's a fruit cellar, a necklace, a chainsaw, etc. It's a remake of the first one, but in a slightly different universe. I don't know how any one can justify it as a direct sequel.

Army of Darkness is a sequel to ED2, but in yet another slightly different universe. The very end of ED2 and very beginning of AOD are simillar but slightly different. Bridget Fonda didn't play Linda in ED2, for example.

You could cut the ends off each film and they'd flow together (poorly), but you could make the same case for a bunch of other movies that aren't even remotley related to each other. You have to take into account the differences.

That's always been my philosophy in justifying the Evil Dead films. Also, you can use the same theory to explain Robert Rodrigueze's Mariachi films. It's also the theory Stephen King and his friend Richard Bachman used when they both wrote "Desperation" and "The Regulators".

I have too much time on my hands.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but Sam Raimi himself will tell you that the beginning of "Evil Dead 2" is a recap and the rest is a sequel.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Is it me, or is this thread going in circles???

Raimi has stated it's a sequel. We can all think what we want. :)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

Please not this again...especially when Sam himself explains the continuity differences in the commentary of ED2.

Anyway someone asked when the street date was and it looks like it is 09/27/2005.

--Ian

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
I'm curious... How many EVIL DEAD DVD do we each possess ? :D

For EVIL DEAD 1, I have the 1.33 Elite DVD and the Book of the Dead edition.
For EVIL DEAD 2, I have the french Studio Canal DVD (which is the same as the R1 DVD with a few more extras, like an itw with Bruce in Cannes or so) and I pre-ordered the new Book of the Dead 2.
For ARMY OF DARKNESS, I have the french MGM DVD (which an alternate european cut with a few minutes more than the US theatrical release), the Anchor Bay Boomstick Edition with the ugly director's cut and the R3 MGM DVD with the restored DC.

My familly thinks I'm totally mad. I can't wait for an ARMY OF DARKNESS Book of the Dead 3 set. :D

Vince Butler

Agent
Real Name
Vince Butler

I know this is off-topic, but I wanted to point out that Stephen King and Richard Bachman are the same person. The latter is a pseudonym.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I wanted to point that out, too, but it's hard to tell when people are joking or being sarcastic on the internet.

ElAhrai

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about the features, but when I was at the Drive In Flashback convention last weekend I saw a copy of the Book. It's pretty cool, it feels like a slightly different material than the original BOTD release though.

Rolando

Screenwriter
darn it, I know I will be getting this.

I am just as guilty, I have the Elite ED1 as well as the BOTD. Will be keeping my ED2 TIN and getting this and I will be keeping my AOD 2 disc when the third BOTD comes out :)

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
i think (hope) i own every ld and dvd of all 3 movies from all regions its worth getting them from.
So i Will buy it for sure for the divimax transfer not the screaming latex

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Anchor Bay will not re-release Army of Darkness anymore. Their right for the distribution of this movie are finished... So, no AOD: Book of the Dead release... :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks