1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

American adaptations of Japanese films prior to "The Magnificent Seven"?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Colin Jacobson, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

Sorry for the clunky subject line, but here's the question: what - if any - Japanese films were remade for American audiences before 1960's The Magnificent Seven? I'm reviewing the new Mag 7 DVD and I'm curious to know if it was a pioneer in this area. I can't think of anything before it - Godzilla doesn't count, IMO - but I'd not be surprised to learn I'm forgetting something...

2. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Well-Known Member

It looks like Magnificent Seven was the first out of the gate, at least for films. I found some info on a Broadway play starring Rod Steiger that was published in '59 that was an adaptation of Rashomon. Also Sidney Lumet directed a teleplay in 1960 of the Rashomon adaptation starring Ricardo Montalban. This was also made again into a film starring Paul Newman called in The Outrage in '64 though it might have been different than the play. But the Lumet directed teleplay was aired in December of 1960 and The Magnificent Seven came out in October of that year. I'd be interested to know if you find any additional information on earlier adaptations of Japanese films.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the notes - glad someone finally chimed in for this thread. It was getting lonely! [​IMG]