What's new

Amazon Prime- Shipping (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I always go through all the pages, Sam. There are times (like Christmas) I put the items on one of my credit cards...and times like where where I pay with my debit card.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah that's the problem. Even in today's annual letter they are saying that Prime equals unlimited 2 day shipping, and it simply isn't true. There is a subclass of prime tagged items that you only get free super saver shipping on and that isn't accounted for in the 'buy it now' buttons. So you click those buttons thinking you are going to get something in two days when in reality it could take a week. And you will NEVER KNOW IT unless you watch the shipping emails a day or more later like a hawk!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My overall experience with Amazon ranks it as my number one online merchant of all time. If I were ordering something like this and felt the weren't living up to their end of the deal, I'd call. I think I've almost always gotten some compensation from them. On rare occasions I've had to call twice to get a better csr.

They are damn fast on delivering Kindle books. :)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Johnny Angell said:
My overall experience with Amazon ranks it as my number one online merchant of all time. If I were ordering something like this and felt the weren't living up to their end of the deal, I'd call. I think I've almost always gotten some compensation from them. On rare occasions I've had to call twice to get a better csr.

They are damn fast on delivering Kindle books. :)
And MP3s

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
One of the reasons I wasn't sure about trying Prime is that I have gotten orders faster then their estimated time. Within two days sometimes paying for regular delivery. However, I needed to buy an Epson scanner for a project and upon reviewing local options, Amazon was the only choice as no one had one. Plus I was betting the farm that it could arrive on Monday Presidents' Day so I'd be home to accept it. So I had to use 2 day, so I decided to try Prime. It made it, but not till 6:00pm! I've ordered a few things since and so far so good. I'm not convinced I'll keep it next year. Well see.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Had Prime for a couple of years now. I'd say I get 90% of the in-stock, sold by Amazon, materials I order in 2 days, 5% of them in one day (and this number is growing recently, wow!) and 5% in 3 days. I'm pretty happy with that.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I wish Amazon had a Prime or Super Saver option available to international customers. Around 2 years ago, Amazon UK briefly opened up their Super Saver programme to include Australian customers, and I ordered so much stuff during that period that it wasn't funny. They shut it down again, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Carlo Medina said:
Had Prime for a couple of years now. I'd say I get 90% of the in-stock, sold by Amazon, materials I order in 2 days, 5% of them in one day (and this number is growing recently, wow!) and 5% in 3 days. I'm pretty happy with that.
That has pretty much been my experience, too. Not needing to bundle my orders to reach the $25 minimum (now $35) for standard free shipping is a huge convenience, too.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Johnny had I insisted on some form of recompense they absolutely done it. That wasn't my point in calling them and they were pretty surprised I didn't want anything. I want to be sure it won't happen again tho or that users are warned. Doubt either will happen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
Johnny had I insisted on some form of recompense they absolutely done it. That wasn't my point in calling them and they were pretty surprised I didn't want anything. I want to be sure it won't happen again tho or that users are warned. Doubt either will happen.
I don't know Sam, but I think you're in the minority here as I think Amazon has pretty good service and is probably better than just about every retailer in that regard. Sure, they should be better and live up to their stated promises, but so can the rest of us.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ok so you are willing to hand wave off a problem that is going to happen 100% of the time with a certain class of product with no warning to the buyer? The programmer in me has a heart attack at those kinds of problems... :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
Ok so you are willing to hand wave off a problem that is going to happen 100% of the time with a certain class of product with no warning to the buyer? The programmer in me has a heart attack at those kinds of problems... :)
It's never happen to me and that includes HT equipment I bought from Amazon including that KEF speaker system you reviewed.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You can click on that subwoofer RIGHT NOW and get an earlier ship date than what I am getting on it shown on the buy it now page.
Order within 5hr 15min to get it:
Tuesday, April 15
( Free Standard Shipping)

Yeah good luck with that!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I've never had an issue with Prime itself. As a matter of fact, I've only had a time or two where they gave me a shipping issue period. I needed two books for a college lit class and I ordered them. They were used so no Prime but apparently fulfilled by Amazon. It took them almost two weeks and when they got here, they were bundled together. I had it happen one other time on another book. Other than that, no bad luck to speak of.

I question if I'm going to keep the Prime membership or not. If I want a CD, many times it's cheaper to find it through a third party seller and pay s/h. I recently found two Ronnie Milsap CD's for 1¢ apiece from vendors and only paid $3.99 s/h apiece on them; I couldn't have gotten Amazon fulfillment on those for cheaper than that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
OK, here's another Amazon Prime horror story.

Last Thursday (May 15) I ordered some flower seeds from a vendor that uses "Shipped by Amazon" and the Prime service.

They almost immediately showed as "Shipping Now", and were scheduled for delivery on Saturday, May 17. Saturday came and went with no delivery, but I figured, I'll just wait and see if they show up Monday.

Well, nothing yesterday, so, yesterday evening I went online and attempted to cancel the order. The system said that since the order (still) showed as "Shipping Now", they could not guaranty cancellation, but would let me know the results of the attempt.

This morning a email popped up telling me the attempt failed. However there was no change to the status of "Shipping Now".

At this point I decided to contact Amazon Customer Service. I found the "Call Me" button, and within 25 seconds I was speaking to someone in a different country. I, as is my practice, asked to be connected to "someone in the US), and within an additional 15-20 seconds was connected to Sheila.

I explained the situation, and she tried to cancel the order, but also failed.

At this point I began to get the outstanding Customer Service I've always experienced from Amazon. She said she was sorry ,and asked that I hold on while she attempted some other steps.

She:

[*]Refunded my purchase price, in full.
[*]Told me that when/if the seeds arrived, I was free to keep them.
[*]Gave a $5.00 general credit.
[/list]
I'd just like to say: Amazon, providing expert level Customer Service every time.

Thank you Sheila.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks