1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

AL24 Plus Processing and the Denon 3800

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michael_T, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Michael_T

Michael_T Well-Known Member

I have been looking at possibly upgrading my Technics DVD-A10, but have been turned off by the lack of the ability to select groups with most DVD-Audio players on the market without the use of a TV monitor.

I looked at the Pioneer 45A and 47Ai (found alot of things I did not like). I am now looking at the Denon 3800. I also am hesitant to bite given the many problems (specifically laser assembly problems) that have plagued this player.

Anyway - I looked at one at 6th Avenue and I noticed that AL24 processing automatically activates whether you want it or not on DVD-Audio discs.

Can someone tell me exactly what AL24 Plus processing is, and why I can't defeat it if I so choose.

At this point in time I am more inclined to stick with my Technics DVD-A10 which has served me well and trouble-free for over 2 1/2 years. I still might consider the Denon 3800 if I can find out exactly what AL24 Processing is (since Denon's marketing literature is sparse on this feature), and be assured that the new build units with a serial number 210 - 211 - 212 and after are perfectly bug free.

Any one care to help me out here. Thanks.

Mike

2. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

Mike, did you try asking Denon Jeff about AL24 processing over on AVS Forum? If you go to the "special guests" forum there (or whatever it is called), you will see a Denon Jeff thread where he is answering various questions about Denon products.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Well-Known Member

Mike: Check out this link...http://denon.jp/europe/faq.html

It's the best Denon feature FAQ I've found yet. (If it asks you to download Japanese character support, tell it no.) The Alpha processing link is the AL24 info.

4. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

Chuck, thanks for the link. As a '3800 owner, I had the same questions as Mike.

From the Denon link:

5. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Well-Known Member

Michael T,

From the 3800 owner's manual (features section):

AL24 ProcessingPlus, an advanced version of conventional AL24 processing, is a newly developed analog waveform reproduction technology, and offers compatability with the high number of bits and high sampling rates of next generation media. AL24 Processing Plus compensates the input digital data to reproduce the sound with analog waveforms as close as possible to those existing in nature and with 24-bit quality. The result is increased musical reproduction capabilities of reverberations,etc at low levels, for a sound that seems to draw you into the concert hall.
    AL24 Processing Plus of course carries over Adaptive Line Pattern Harmonized Algorithm & Automatic Low Pass Filter Harmonic Adjustment, the strong points of conventional ALPHA Processing. On the DVD-3800 these filters have been dramatically improved, resulting in a filtered band attenuation of over -115db and ripple within the passing band of +/- 0.00002db, a figure comparable to that of professional recorders.

Whew! As if everybody didn't know this already.[​IMG]
    Hope that (sort of) answers your question,
    Michael

6. Michael_T

Michael Marklund,

Yes - I read that, and that is what I termed "marketing" literature. That blurb, although somewhat informative, is to me merely marketing "speak" to make you think that AL24 processing is something you need and can't do without. That somehow, by using AL24, you are getting a better output than what was input. That we (Denon) care so much about the sound quality you receive that we are taking the native bitstream that comes into your player and modifying it so it becomes a better output - hence "a sound that seems to draw you into the concert hall".

Thanks Michael for your post, (and I decided to buy the Denon 3800 so I also saw this in the manual myself), but I wanted to know what it "REALLY" does - and why you can't actually turn it off.

7. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

Mike, "a sound that seems to draw you into the concert hall" is marketingspeak? Naaaaaah. [​IMG] Why would you want to turn of the AL24 ProcessingPlus off? Do you want a sound that seems to put you in the parking lot? [​IMG]

8. Michael_T

9. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Well-Known Member

Maybe it upconvert everything to 96/24. That's my impression.

Daniel Smith

10. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

Michael said: