What's new

3D Affordable 3D blu ray player recommendations? (1 Viewer)

damian-C

Auditioning
I am looking for a 3d blu ray player for my Samsung 8000 series 55" LED TV. What would you guys recommend at an affordable price? It might be used to play avi or mp3 files too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I personally like the Panasonics, though I haven't actually
owned one in quite a few years (I own an Oppo which is
anything but affordable).

Whatever you do, stick with brands you know. Anything
you are thinking about buying, punch up on Amazon and
read the reviews from people that own it.

Are you the same guy that had a problem with his Samsung
Blu-ray player? I ask, because I would normally say stick
with the same brand player as your display so you can work
them both off a single remote. However, if your past experience
with Samsung was not good, then I am probably giving you
bad advice.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Haven't connected the Playstation 3 to a home-theater setup, so I can't get into all the arcane geekery of its audio capabilities--When it came out, the biggest complaint was about minor 3D-menu issues, but what haven't been fixed since are negligible at best.

But for the sheer amount of "smart" streaming-television apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, etc.) you get standard--and optimized for a machine designed to create better resolution faster on less streaming--it makes a better settop streaming box than the Roku, or any of the apps in a standalone player.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll throw in a few models. I would take the Sony over the Panasonic but i have experience of the step down Panasonic model and it works flawlessly thus the bigger brother should be fine, ignore the 1 star Amazon reviews, all models get it, later firmware usually would have fixed any issues and if you go for last years models you are more likely to get a stable release without issues that some of the newer models will have.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S590-Blu-ray-Player-Wi-Fi/dp/B006U1YUZE/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1368748256&sr=1-1&keywords=blu+ray+players

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BDT220-Integrated-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00752R4PK/ref=sr_1_2?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1368748384&sr=1-2&keywords=blu+ray+players

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have both Panasonics and Sonys (the Sony replaced my PS3 which finally died after six years of heavy use and not even for gaming). I've also had Samsungs. Samsung had the shortest shelf life which is why I didn't go back to it. I read lots of complaints about the Panasonic's ability to do reliable streaming, but since I don't stream much (only have a DSL internet), it's no problem for me (it streams YouTube just fine which is the extent of my streaming).

For playing 3D and regular Blu-ray, both Panasonic and Sony are excellent and seem no different in picture quality. For DVD upconversion, I think Panasonic handles that the best.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have a PS3 for my 55 inch 3D display and a Sony 3D player for my Panasonic 3D projector and they both work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks