What's new

Adventures Of Superman DVD Series Collection (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
about once every two years I make the run, from the theatrical serial's to the end run of AOS, like the rest fond memories from childhood when one of the locals would play it after school

still fun after all these years, but I have gotten spoilt I would love to see this someday get an upgrade to HD, bet those color episodes would just pop!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
dana martin said:
about once every two years I make the run, from the theatrical serial's to the end run of AOS, like the rest fond memories from childhood when one of the locals would play it after school

still fun after all these years, but I have gotten spoilt I would love to see this someday get an upgrade to HD, bet those color episodes would just pop!
Hi dana!

Should better Film elements turn up for a few of the rougher looking Episodes, I agree that would make the HD upgrade worthwhile. In my opinion, it would also be marvelous if some of the missing Original ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Openings & Closings (IE. The 1955; 1956; and 1958 Color Episode Closings.) were rediscovered, as well!

CHEERS!

Tony

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Is there an episode of this show where they're exploring a cave where someone's father had disappeared years before and they discover he had been dipped into molten bronze and turned into a statue by the natives and almost have it happen to themselves?

I thought of whatever episode this was just now and remember it creeping me out as a kid. I think it was this show but I don't see anything that sounds like it from an episode guide I just read through.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
LeoAmes said:
Is there an episode of this show where they're exploring a cave where someone's father had disappeared years before and they discover he had been dipped into molten bronze and turned into a statue by the natives and almost have it happen to themselves?
That doesn't sound like any episode of AOS that I ever saw. I thought it might be ep #2.3 The Frozen Man from the Captain Midnight series, but I don't recall any natives in that one. I'm stumped.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Could it be an episode of Hitchcock's tv series? It was something that aired on Nick at Nite back in the early 90's.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For what it's worth, I googled searched both ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN/Statue/Molten Bronze, and CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT/Molten Bronze. With the former, the only thing that came up was Episode 4 of Season 1, titled 'Mystery of the Broken Statues,' which has to do with something being hidden inside a Figurine. According to it's lone IMDB User Review, the aforementioned 'The Frozen Men' CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT Episode basically consists of standard Cold War Fare, with Atomic Bomb Testing, Red Spies, etc. Neither Episode has anything to do with Natives turning anyone into a Molten Statue!

CHEERS!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
LouA said:
I wonder if there's an chance this show will be released on Blu-ray?
I'd say it's pretty unlikely. As someone earlier said, some of the film elements are pretty rough, and for a show this old, I'm sure so much time and money would have to be spent on remastering/cleanup, that Warner wouldn't consider it worth the the time and effort for the limited interest it would probably receive (let's face it, the show isn't exactly a best seller on DVD and isn't the syndication powerhouse it used to be decades ago, either).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
LeoA said:

I thought of whatever episode this was just now and remember it creeping me out as a kid. I think it was this show but I don't see anything that sounds like it from an episode guide I just read through.
Leo,I don't have an answer for you. But I too remember an episode (or was it a film?) very similar to that which you've described above. I distinctly remember the molten bronze angle and the cave. If someone had tried to convince me that it was from an episode of The Adventures of Superman, I would probably have agreed. When I first read your post, I thought of Superman using a heat ray of sorts to melt the bronze. In any event, this will be on my mind for quite some time. I hope someone can recall where they may have seen it.

Edit: This brings to mind a film (or was it a television episode?) that I've been trying to track down for about forty years. The details with regard to what I remember are sketchy at best. I can recall a black and white shot of a woman staring into a mirror. As she is staring into the mirror, a flower (I think it was a rose) opens up slowly and the woman's face or the mirror begins to crack. (If it was the mirror cracking, then it stands to reason that the reflection would also be cracking.) I have ruled out The Outer Limits (I know that series very well). I was about four or five years old (1962-1963), and I distinctly remember my father covering my eyes at the point when the mirror is cracking. I have thought it might be Way Out, as it is possible that I was just under four years old at the time (1961).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Ockeghem said:
Leo,I don't have an answer for you. But I too remember an episode (or was it a film?) very similar to that which you've described above. I distinctly remember the molten bronze angle and the cave. If someone had tried to convince me that it was from an episode of The Adventures of Superman, I would probably have agreed. When I first read your post, I thought of Superman using a heat ray of sorts to melt the bronze. In any event, this will be on my mind for quite some time. I hope someone can recall where they may have seen it.

Edit: This brings to mind a film (or was it a television episode?) that I've been trying to track down for about forty years. The details with regard to what I remember are sketchy at best. I can recall a black and white shot of a woman staring into a mirror. As she is staring into the mirror, a flower (I think it was a rose) opens up slowly and the woman's face or the mirror begins to crack. (If it was the mirror cracking, then it stands to reason that the reflection would also be cracking.) I have ruled out The Outer Limits (I know that series very well). I was about four or five years old (1962-1963), and I distinctly remember my father covering my eyes at the point when the mirror is cracking. I have thought it might be Way Out, as it is possible that I was just under four years old at the time (1961).
It could be Way Out. I watched that show every week, and have a vague recollection of the scene your describing. Way Out hasn't played anywhere on TV since it's initial run . I wonder how much of the show survives? I think it may have been Kinoscopes.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lou,That could be. I've searched online and seen nearly a half-dozen episodes of Way Out. But I have yet to see the scene I described above. Still, I think that's a very good possibility and the best guess I have at present.I've not seen every episode of The Twilight Zone. But there are those on this Board who have, and I would think that what I have described above (and in other threads over the years) would ring a bell with some if it were from that series.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
I've not seen every episode of The Twilight Zone. But there are those on this Board who have, and I would think that what I have described above (and in other threads over the years) would ring a bell with some if it were from that series.
I know The Twilight Zone pretty well and that doesn't sound like a TZ episode.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Thanks Travis. I knew I could count on someone who knows The Twilight Zone well. :)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Ockeghem said:
Lou,That could be. I've searched online and seen nearly a half-dozen episodes of Way Out. But I have yet to see the scene I described above. Still, I think that's a very good possibility and the best guess I have at present.I've not seen every episode of The Twilight Zone. But there are those on this Board who have, and I would think that what I have described above (and in other threads over the years) would ring a bell with some if it were from that series.
Any Way Out experts out there?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
AndyMcKinney said:
I'd say it's pretty unlikely. As someone earlier said, some of the film elements are pretty rough, and for a show this old, I'm sure so much time and money would have to be spent on remastering/cleanup, that Warner wouldn't consider it worth the the time and effort for the limited interest it would probably receive (let's face it, the show isn't exactly a best seller on DVD and isn't the syndication powerhouse it used to be decades ago, either).
I had a feeling that the cost of preparing the AOS would probably be prohibitivley expensive for the small Blu-ray market, but I wasn't aware that the show was a poor seller on DVD.I guess we should be thankful that all 6 seasons were released.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
LouA said:
I had a felling that the cost of preparing the AOS would probably be prohibitivley expensive for the small Blu-ray market, but I wasn't aware that the show was a poor seller on DVD.I guess we should be thankful that all 6 seasons were released.
I don't know that it's an especially poor seller, but I doubt it sets any sales records. I'm not sure whether bunches of these sets appearing for $6.00 each at Big Lots a few years back would be any indicator as to how badly they might have sold or not. The set at Big Lots were supposed to be sent somewhere to be destroyed, but the company in charge of that sold them--along with a bunch of other WB-distributed titles--to Big Lots for peanuts.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
LouA said:
I had a felling that the cost of preparing the AOS would probably be prohibitivley expensive for the small Blu-ray market, but I wasn't aware that the show was a poor seller on DVD.I guess we should be thankful that all 6 seasons were released.
I don't think that the show was a poor seller in absolute terms, but apparently WHV really overproduced inventory for it as it has been consistently at low prices for years.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
I don't think that the show was a poor seller in absolute terms, but apparently WHV really overproduced inventory for it as it has been consistently at low prices for years.
which is exactly how all five seasons (and the serials set) ended up at Big Lots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks