What's new

A Good HDMI Receiver ? (1 Viewer)

dc88

Auditioning
Real Name
dane
Well I have a Onkyo home theater system now before purchasing I new nothing of hdmi . But since I have learned that,well hdmi isn't really the most reliable. And that's too bad since its the only way to get full 1080p & HD sound . I am not gonna lie I am a BIG Onkyo fan that's why i have bought my second onkyo . But hearing and reading the countless horror stories of the hdmi boards failing & to onkyo's credit its not JUST there brand that has issues ... I am scared when i do purchase my hdtv that i might run into these problems . So my question to you worst case scenario mine does .Is there any avr out there that DOESN'T have any hdmi problems and hdmi just works no problems whatsoever ! I will admit if there is one I would prob just switch to that even though i would not like really anything else about it .

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by dc88

Really, that's like asking "Is there a car out there that won't break down on me, whatsover?"

HDMI-related issues are the result of a myriad of factors not the least of which is that there are literally thousands of HDMI devices out there connected in thousands of combinations using thousands of different types/manufacturers' cables in thousands of different environments.

Add to that the fact that the HDMI standard itself has evolved significantly since it's inception, and you have a recipe for complete random chance.

Like so many things, the actual percentage of people having problems is often grossly overestimated simply because a majority of people who actually have problems complain about them (often quite vocally), while the folks that have no problems whatsoever with their HDMI devices, are busy enjoying them, rather than extolling their virtues. The reality is that a vast majority of people using HDMI have no problem with it at all.

Have you ever encountered a problem with HDMI connectivity?

Generally speaking, chances are very good that you won't have any problems. I would even suggest that your chances improve even more if you stick with newer gear (HDMI 1.4) rather than buying used first-generation HDMI components.

I would worry more about the fact that Blu-Ray players STILL need occassional firmware updates than any HDMI-related snafus, but that's a whole other story...

brianflick

Auditioning
Real Name
brian flick
This is amazing...I still am old school. I have a 1080i/480p Panny RPTV and use my Xbox 360 for DVDS. I have my 360 connected using component cables and my AT&T U-verse box connected the same way. I have a Harmon Kardon receiver and just a cheap pair of tower speaker run in stereo mode...lol. But it works.

I'm in the market to upgrade to a Panny G or S plasma 58" and the PS3 for blueray or just a panny blueray player. I also want to get either a DENON or YAMAHA HDMI receiver and a 5.1 surround speaker package but I read these posts about HDMI this and HDMI that...I'm going to be irrate if my stuff don't work!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
When HDMI doesn't work, most of the time it's the user's fault. They didn't set things up right. They checked something they shouldn't have, or didn't check something they should have, in the setup menus. When it's a real HDMI problem, it's usually a handshake problem with one of the pieces of equipment (usually a cable box). Since cable doesn't broadcast in 1080p anyway, just use component cables from cable box to upconverting receiver, and HDMI from receiver to tv. That's what I do, and I have no HDMI problems. I also have blu ray player and ps3 connected to receiver with HDMI.

I'm also an Onkyo fan. I use a TX-SR805 (discontinued now). Onkyo makes other good upconverting models too. So does Denon and other brands. So, find a model in the brand you like, that upconverts everything to HDMI, get some good HDMI cables from Monoprice.com or BlueJeanscable.com and you should be good to go. Whatever you buy, read the manual carefully, and make sure you set it up right. That's another reason for going with Onkyo. They are easy to setup and use. You might also consider a Harmony remote. It will make life a little easier for everyone, especially the wife and kids.

BTW........

HDMI is not the only way to get HD sound. If your receiver has 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog inputs, you can get a blu ray player that has those same outputs, and get HD sound that way. It will say something like Multi-Channel in receiver display instead of Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD Master.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks