1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Great Escape -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 8, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    It IS a digital presentation. Nicely cleaned up, and looking very nice.

RAH

2. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    The $5 U&S at Best Buy is only for in store stock which none of them have according to their web site.

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Screenwriter

Gregory Arkadin
    Well, I know when I picked up a copy yesterday at a local Best Buy I grabbed what seemed to be the second to last copy on the shelf. So at least some stores have/had them. I think what they had may have sold quickly because people did take advantage of the $5.00 off or just liked the $9.99 price.

4. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Screenwriter

Stanley
    A t about 1 hour 30 minutes or so into the movie we get a fade to an extended black screen and I was fully expecting an Intermission card. Anyone else notice that? It would be a good point for an intermission. Also I was slightly annoyed by the lack of a main menu and the fact the movie will play in a cycle even while you're scrolling through the extras.

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I should have my copy before the end of the week and I look forward to seeing this! It is an event film! I remember the first time seeing it, was on TV broadcast over two nights and I recorded it on audio tape. And not having seen it before. It sounds like the cropping will be fine as well as the image quality? I recall one Laserdisc version I have where we see the edge of the cooler set when Hilts is bouncing the ball against it.Just to help me understand terminology used here, when RAH says its a nice digital presentation, what does that mean? This sort of follows up an earlier question by another poster that asks what that means? Would the blu ray of Lawrence of Arabia also be called a nice digital presentation! Just looking for things to look at to compare as I know that disc is highly praised. When does a disc, or can a disc, look film-like, a term I've read used here. When I saw Jaws, I thought that looked fantastic, but I still have not had a chance to put time aside to see Lawrence. For example, MGM's release of 2010: The Year we Make Contact on blu ray is a nice upgrade from the DVD. But I can see its deficiencies. Some shots did look kind of video-like. At any rate, sorry for the digression, I'm looking forward to the Scrounger, the Tunnel King, The Cooler King, The Forger, Big X, and the rest!

6. Mark-P

Mark-P Screenwriter

Mark Probst
    Some of the posters on the other site are now trashing RAH's review with comments like "4.5? What was he smoking?" I was compelled to leave a comment explaining that RAH's ratings reflect how transparent a Blu-ray is to the original film presentation. Which is why the soundtrack of an 80-year-old film like Dracula can score a perfect 5 despite its limited range.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

For some reason, that's been the standard for MGM releases for the last year or more.

8. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Screenwriter

Stanley
    Another cost-cutting measure maybe.

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    I'm quite certain that this was not an easy element to work with, and probably needed quite a bit of digital help, inclusive of clean-up. It has a light patina of grain, which may not be original, but is not either problematic or intrusive. I'm betting that the OCN on this was probably nicely worn, and an IP may have been used as a source, although their are few bits of evidence left for perusal after the clean-up.

There are some situation in which a digital look, without going DNR, etc is the better alternative, especially if budgets may be tight. In the end, it's what's on the screen that matters, and the film has nothing that takes away from the experience.

RAH

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Yes and many of your other reviews of digital blu ray presentations remark about the film like image, so why is this more digital than film like, i am not questioning your score, i just want to know why this release needs to look more digital than film like.

You answered this with the post above this one so no need to answer again, i understand.

11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Because the "grain" that I'm seeing may not be original, but the overall look of the image is not problematic. I have no idea what work was performed, but UA negatives were not always treated with the greatest care -- and by that I'm not referring to any current MGM employees, who are constantly trying to deal with old problems.

What it does not look like is a new scan off the OCN at 4k, restored at 4k and down-rezzed to Blu-ray.

Other than that, it looks very acceptable for the film stock, age and use.

RAH

FoxyMulder likes this.
  12. haineshisway

haineshisway Screenwriter

Bruce
    As you've by now seen, you have completely misinterpreted Mr. Kaiser, and you are assigning a meaning to "digital presentation" that I don't think Mr. Harris means.

13. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I'm not sure why you feel i misinterpreted Mr Kaiser or why you think you can read my mind about my meaning of "digital presentation."

I was asking for more information that's all and really there is no need for your post to come across so snarky but i feel it does, its often been the case ever since i disagreed with your opinion on the blu ray release of Zulu, maybe you don't realise it but that's how some of them appear at times, its almost like you feel you are "better" than others, i simply was asking for info, the info has been supplied and i am happy to leave it at that and i thank Mr Harris for his reply to me.

Professor Echo likes this.
  14. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Thank you RAH. I had a feeling that yours and Mr Kimmel's reactions would be nothing like the hellfire and damnation so readily available elsewhere. My copy is on the way.

I haven't even seen the movie for years because the SE DVD was so poor (I couldn't stand watching it for more than a few minutes), although prior to that I practically wore out my ultra-widescreen VHS version.

15. haineshisway

Bruce
    No snark intended at all - just commenting on your initial post. Whatever differences we have on Zulu don't enter into anything else. :)

16. Mark-P

Mark-P Screenwriter

Mark Probst
    Malcolm, I think the word "digital" has acquired a negative connotation in the home theater community in recent years, though Mr. Harris has often said that the judicious use of digital tools can be a good thing.

17. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Okay then my apologies for thinking that, at the end of the day we are all taking part at this site because we love cinema and films.

18. haineshisway

Bruce
    You bet.

19. haineshisway

Bruce
    Well, the amusing thing is that Blu-ray is a digital medium. Everything we watch on Blu-ray is a digital presentation. Every transfer is a digital transfer of some sort. For me, this presentation of The Great Escape looks like the film The Great Escape - yes, there may be uses of digital tools, but there are in every transfer in one way or another.

20. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Thank you!