What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Deep -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
SONY has given this title over to IMAGE Entertainment for release. The new BLU version due out later this year but it will contain no special features.

I purchased this BLU when it was first released. I never thought it'd be out in HD Was worth cent.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
One retailer I believe where The Deep Blu-Ray is still available is WalMart Online. I think the price is about $19.86 for The Deep Blu-Ray. You can have it shipped to your local WalMart --site to store- to avoid paying any shipping fees. You will have to pay sales tax. To search for it on WalMart just type in Deep. For some reason when I typed in The Deep it wouldn't pick it up. Just search by typing in Deep.

Take Care!

Robert

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Another option to pick up the Sony Blu-disc release is on the secondary market. I note that Amazon marketplace has several copies for $10.38 at this moment.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I revisited this yesterday and still love it!

What a wonderful Blu-ray...and provided a nice aperitif to the upcoming Blu-ray of Jaws...

I have the orig OOP Sony disc. Nonetheless, contrary to previous reports, the current re-release by Image I believe is identical to the Sony, down to the supplements. Cover art is not as nice, but...

...I have also read that Image has been repackaging the leftover Sony discs until they run out before the actual repressing (which may or may not contain all the extras).

So pick it up now if you haven't already - worth every penny IMHO.

EDIT: Just found this interview with Nick Nolte, from 1998-1999:

Quote:
Tell us about working with Robert Shaw in that film.
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)](laughs) He'd corral me in a corner and say (imitating Shaw)"It's a treasure picture! A treasure picture! Let's drink some rum!" (laughs) We'd be in the tank filming with Jackie Bisset and take these giant phallic shells and chase her around. Jackie would start laughing. With Jackie in the scene, you were always swimming upside down, with her wearing that t-shirt. (laughs) Bob and I got real close during the shoot. Here's one day: we were sitting on the boat, docked, and were shooting this scene where we had to get off the boat, onto the dock. And it starts raining, all day. And we're just sitting in this boat. So Bob turns to me and says "See that bottle of whiskey over there?" I said "Yeah." "Let's have it." So we take the bottle, have a drink. It keeps raining and we keep drinking...finally at five o'clock a little ray of light breaks through and hits the dock. And (director) Peter Yates goes "Let's get the shot!" I immediately, being a young actor, try to get up. And I'm drunker than a skunk! We'd gone through that bottle and started another one! (laughs) So I'm all ready, trying to pretend I wasn't drunk and Bob goes, "No, no, let me handle this." So Bob gets up, walks up the stairs to the top of the boat, started walking along the plank, gets to the front of the boat and BOOM! He falls flat on his face! Peter Yates starts yelling "Oh my God, he's drunk!" Bob rolls off the boat, falls into the water, climbs into a little dinghy, starts it up, and heads across the bay! So everybody was terribly frightened to go get Shaw, so I got elected since we were friends. So I go across the bay, to this house where he is. I look through the window and I see him sitting in a chair with another bottle. So I crack open the door and say "Bob...?" He turns to me and says "What took you so long?" (laughs) That was Shaw. That was Shaw.[/COLOR]

I almost kind of imagine Romer Treece is Quint 10 years before Jaws...

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Maybe Treece got stinking rich from the Griffin booty, blew it all on rum and wound up on Amity under an assumed name.[/COLOR]

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Disappointed the alternative cut is not included as an option, but I'm very happy with the Sony Blu-ray. This transfer brings out the best in the film. I enjoy a Hollywood movie that reflects good old-fashioned know-how, which is why The Deep is one of my favorite action-adventure films. Peter Yates was a consummate director. In The Deep he combines the dynamic action skills he displayed in Bullett (1968) and Murphy's War (1971) with the refined drama of The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) and Breaking Away (1979). The story is a model of its kind, and has turned into something of a prototype for imitations, remakes (Into the Blue, Blue Crush) and treasure-hunt films in general. Expertly performed by attractive and discerning actors, shot in a pictorial location, and made with impeccable craftsmanship (who doesn't miss this kind of craftsmanship today) it should have been a big hit. So why did audiences stay away in 1977? The poster probably skewed expectations. It evokes Jaws without the shark, when the film has nothing to do with Jaws. It's simply another on-the-water adventure written by the same author. I blame the poor box-office on the poster. The studio should have changed it:
Deep-1977-Columbia-insert.jpg
Jaws-1975-Universal-insert.jpg

John Barry's score is an immersive listen all on its own. Intrada's 2-disc CD offers the original album on disc 1 and the longer complete score including unreleased cues on disc 2. Digitally remastered. It will fill your room with the deep. However it's oop and getting pricey, so grab one while you can:
http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Donna-Summer/dp/B0042DBR9E/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344586567&sr=1-1&keywords=the+deep+john+barry

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Quote:
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]So why did audiences stay away in 1977?[/COLOR]

Oh, a little film by the name of Star Wars.

The Deep was actually a decent hit - in the top 10 of highest-grossing films that year.

That Intrada is a great CD, but now that it's OOP, it would take a hefty sum or serious luck in a used CD store (do those still exist?) to come across a legit copy.

I was dismayed I could not find my Bantam paperback - I adored that thing and re-read the novel a few times during the Summer of 1977. It was the closest thing to home video. Really bummed me out.

But...I found this for the princely sum of $5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310397264349?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_613wt_1165

And now I have The Deep sitting next to my first edition hardcover of Jaws I found in good condition in a used bookstore about 20 years ago - bought for a whopping $1.50.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There was this little fold out in Playboy of Jacqueline Bisset that the advertising campaign was based on or the fold out was based on the campaign, but either way that fold out of her swimming to the surface sure got me to see THE DEEP. And I was not disappointed. I have the Sony Blu-ray and always been very happy with it, also still have the LP soundtrack that was pressed with light blue vinyl.

While I enjoy the film as fun adventure, I have a several friends that do not like and think it is boring and too long. Of course they are entitled to their opinion, but they are wrong.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The Deep was hardly a flop. It grossed $47 million in north America on a $9 million budget, about the same box office as The Spy Who Loved Me that year. Adjusted for inflation, that would be a gross of $177 million on a $34 million budget in today's dollars.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'll stand corrected on the gross, but I distinctly recall reading at the time that the film under-performed at the box office. According to the log I kept, I saw it twice in nearly empty theaters.
Allen Hollis, wouldn't it be nice if Jacqueline Bisset were the girl on the one-sheet.
The Deep is one of my favorite adventure films of the 1970s.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/290267/a-few-words-about-the-deep-in-blu-ray#post_3960607
There was this little fold out in Playboy of Jacqueline Bisset that the advertising campaign was based on or the fold out was based on the campaign, but either way that fold out of her swimming to the surface sure got me to see THE DEEP. And I was not disappointed.

Amen, brother.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The next Peter Benchley adaptation was The Island (1980) which was not up to the same standard ....

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/290267/a-few-words-about-the-deep-in-blu-ray/30#post_3960633
The next Peter Benchley adaptation was The Island (1980) which was not up to the same standard ....
THE ISLAND not up to standard? It was down right disappointing. I really felt like I had wasted my time watching that film and I am huge Michael Caine fan.

Universal really pushed the film and since this was during the time of blind bidding, where most theatres had to buy a film sight unseen, only knowing that it was based on a Peter Benchley best-selling novel and it stared Michael Caine and David Warner, who was fairly popular at the time. The other selling point was that the director was Michael Ritchie, who had previously directed several successful comedy films, though his dramas, DOWNHILL RACER and THE CANDIDATE were not so successful nor as highly regard as they are today.

Many theatres lost a lot of money on this film during the summer of 1980. After all the tag-line was "This summer the most terrifying thing in the water is . . . The Island." and it was to the summer blockbuster,

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Richard--W said:
The Deep is one of my favorite adventure films of the 1970s.
It would have nice for that fold out to be the one-sheet. The more I think about that Playboy fold-out, I seem to recall that there was some litigation between Miss Bisset and Columbia about that picture and it's publication. I actually think I still have it stored away in some box and will have to look around for it. I know that it was on my college wall for all four years I was there.

THE DEEP also is one of my favorites from the 70's and really defines those middle years of films that were not about space wars. .

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
If you find the fold-out, Allen, be sure to scan it and post it here so that we can all pay our respects.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Found the fold-out but I had to Iphone a pic for it was too long to scan. In it's day I guess it was controversial and still could be today. If the moderators, feel it is not appropriate to post, please take down but it did stay on my college dorm wall a couple of years. Thanks.

0e8eea83_BnRw6TgBWkKGrHqQH-DoEts82Z8BLi0feQHcg_12.jpeg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/290267/a-few-words-about-the-deep-in-blu-ray/30#post_3962433
I'm not admin, but IMHO, it's appropriate. Of course, I'm a dirty old man.

I AM an admin...and it sure seems appropriate to me! But then, I've been told I'm a dirty old man, too!

I had the classic Farrah Fawcett poster (in the red one-piece bathing suit) on my dorm wall in college. Same time period.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Mike Frezon said:
I AM an admin...and it sure seems appropriate to me!  But then, I've been told I'm a dirty old man, too!  :D
I had the classic Farrah Fawcett poster (in the red one-piece bathing suit) on my dorm wall in college.  Same time period. 
I preferred the one of her in the blue cat suit and the 10 speed bicycle.
Anyone remember another film from about this period, that starred Farrah Fawcett and Charles Grodin, called Sunburn? It played incessantly on HBO in the early 80's.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks