What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Fantasia -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
bujaki said:
Lucky Anthony! I do envy you. Did you get original 78s from Mr Tuckwell?
Yes, beautiful condition almost mint 78s still in those wonderful albums they used to be published in.

And a lot of other 78s besides ... musicals (Oklahoma, Carousel etc) and jazz (lots of trumpet but also Billie Holiday etc) and Mel Torme and my Goddess, Judy Garland ...

Barry was staying with us just a few nights ago ... he moves to Baltimore a year ago but the combination of weather and apartment-living makes him hanker for a house in the Australian country-side again so we've been helping him check out real estate prospects around our part of Victoria. I have tried very subtly to suggest that at 84, maybe a lease may be a better bet than purchase!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Saw Fantasia at my local Cinemark theater yesterday afternoon. The visuals were beyond Wow spectacular. The audio was not quite as great, as has been noted in detail in this thread over the years. Still nothing like seeing it on the big screen. It was brave of Disney, it seems to me, to present a scientific view (as of 1940) of evolution in a big-budget movie.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
benbess said:
Saw Fantasia at my local Cinemark theater yesterday afternoon. The visuals were beyond Wow spectacular. The audio was not quite as great, as has been noted in detail in this thread over the years. Still nothing like seeing it on the big screen. It was brave of Disney, it seems to me, to present a scientific view (as of 1940) of evolution in a big-budget movie.
Was it on 35mm or it was a screaning of the totally degrained and revisioned Bluray?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Konstantinos said:
Was it on 35mm or it was a screaning of the totally degrained and revisioned Bluray?
It was digital rather than film, but I believe it was a special cinema software package, not just the projection of a blu-ray. In other words, I think it was higher resolution than a blu-ray.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
It's Fantasia's 75th anniversary. I was really hoping for a deluxe Blu-ray set with the Deems Taylor narration restored (at least for the non-roadshow cut)... especially since the existing Blu-ray is apparently out of print. Alas, nothing.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Considering that Disney is only releasing many of their classic films on Blu-ray via the Disney DVD Club, I doubt we'll see a re-release of Fantasia any time soon, if ever. Sad.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Brian Kidd said:
Considering that Disney is only releasing many of their classic films on Blu-ray via the Disney DVD Club, I doubt we'll see a re-release of Fantasia any time soon, if ever. Sad.

I've got the Fantasia Anthology DVD box and the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Blu-ray (and the VHS with the Deems Taylor narration in the garage someplace), so I guess I can't complain too much. Fantasia is actually on Netflix now, so I guess people can still find it.

But still....

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lord Dalek said:
Isn't it just the live action films they're doing through the club though?
So far, the true exclusives have only been from the Live Action catalog

Craig Beam said:
I've got the Fantasia Anthology DVD box and the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Blu-ray (and the VHS with the Deems Taylor narration in the garage someplace), so I guess I can't complain too much. Fantasia is actually on Netflix now, so I guess people can still find it.

But still....
Plus easily available and cheap Region Free Uk releases if they need the Bluray itself. It's available in HD to own unlike many other titles.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
benbess said:
Is 20,000 Leagues part of the Disney Club?

Not yet---it isn't on blu yet. Now, that film should be given a mainstream blu-ray release, but given how poorly Disney is treating their back catalogue, in regards to release on blu-ray disc, it may end up being a club exclusive when it finally does make its high definition debut.

Carcosa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Barr
David Norman said:
The DVD is. There isn't a BD release unfortunately.
-sigh- if only...

I thought I read that Disney does have a very nice HD master done..is that true?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Carcosa said:
-sigh- if only...

I thought I read that Disney does have a very nice HD master done..is that true?
I've heard yes, but likely the same rumors everyone else has heard. $18 HDX at Vudu so I assume that transfer would be pretty similar, but paying $18 for a vudu code just makes no sense to me.
It's at best a long term rental

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Carcosa said:
-sigh- if only...

If it's the one HDNET has aired then yes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I rented that one that's available in HD on Vudu and iTunes and it looked pretty good to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks