What's new

2015-16 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I was coming to post that, wow that is a lot of money for a 30 year old pitcher. They could end up on the hook for quite a few so so years on the back end of the deal.

I heard the Giants and the Dodgers are in the lead to land Greinke. A deal could be completed any day now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick_S said:
I was coming to post that, wow that is a lot of money for a 30 year old pitcher. They could end up on the hook for quite a few so so years on the back end of the deal.

I heard the Giants and the Dodgers are in the lead to land Greinke. A deal could be completed any day now.
He has an opt out clause which he'll use if the market is still going sky high and he's pitching great. If he's injured, not pitching great and really hates Boston then he won't use it.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
He has an opt out clause which he'll use if the market is still going sky high and he's pitching great. If he's injured, not pitching great and really hates Boston then he won't use it.

Truer words have never been posted.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
1.) I thought management had figured out such long contracts were bad ideas.

2.) Way too much money.

3.) All last off-season I was griping that the Sox weren't picking up any pitching. So I guess I shouldn't complain too much. Maybe it'll work out great... :rolleyes:

======

And the Red Sox also picked up another OF (NYY's Chris Young)? WTF? I want them to keep Bradley, Betts, Castillo and Brock Holt.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:

2.) Way too much money.

3.) All last off-season I was griping that the Sox weren't picking up any pitching. So I guess I shouldn't complain too much. Maybe it'll work out great... :rolleyes:

======

And the Red Sox also picked up another OF (NYY's Chris Young)? WTF? I want them to keep Bradley, Betts, Castillo and Brock Holt.
Well, the MSM sports guys will now say the Red Sox are the AL East favorites, but we all know how their predictions usually end up. :rolleyes:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh I don't know...

The way I see it, it's "Price, every third Buchholz start, and pray for rain."

Kinda catchy, no?!? :biggrin:

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
That would be a lot of rain.

Not nearly as catchy as the classic.

"Spahn and Sain; then pray for rain."

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Mike Frezon said:

2.) Way too much money.

I don't understand these kinds of complaints. That's where the MLB pitching market has been for some time. There's no such thing as a "bad contract" for a team like the Red Sox as long as ownership wants to spend the money, because there's no salary cap. The market keeps going up. You want the best pitcher on the market in 2015, you're going to give him the highest contract ever given to a pitcher. He's not going to settle for what the best pitcher made in 2014.

Geez, it's a shame about that money the Sox have tied up in Hanley and Panda. If it weren't for those "bad" contracts, they could go out and spend in the free agent market! Oh, wait. . .

I'm happy to pay players as much of John Henry's money as he wants to give 'em! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I understand that Price was the best on the free agent market this off-season. And I get that he's gonna demand top dollar.

But I'm not sure that he should command more than what others are making. He's good. Real good, if you look at his numbers. But does he add THAT MUCH value to the team's performance? Only time will tell.

Like I said, I was going nuts last year that the Sox picked up no quality pitching last year. [And I see the Sox are now saying they are done for this off-season. They "like" their roster.] So I guess now they've picked up quality pitching and I should be happy.

One of the upsides to giving a long-term contract to this particular 30-year old is that he has shown that he typically lasts the full season and doesn't break down. But it's all a crapshoot--as are most things in baseball (and in life).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
I HATE when players announce their retirement while they re still playing. HATE IT!

And, apparently, David Ortiz is saying he will retire after the 2016 season. Jerk.

Retire when you are done. Don't announce it in advance. We don't need you to change your mind. We don't need "farewell tours."

Just put your head down and walk away (just like the way you should have been running to first base on ground balls).
frust.gif

On the other hand, if he didn't announce it he'd be facing an entire season of questions from the press like, "Is this your last year, David?" "When are you thinking you'll retire, David?"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd rather he faced those questions than me having to endure reading about "his last visit to xyz field" over and over. :biggrin:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Mike Frezon said:
But I'm not sure that he should command more than what others are making. He's good. Real good, if you look at his numbers. But does he add THAT MUCH value to the team's performance? Only time will tell.

He should command more than anyone else currently available. You can't compare a 2015 contract to a contract signed in an earlier year.

As for how much value he adds, what scale are we using to measure it?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Patrick_S said:
I have no problem with players taking a farewell tours.

Since it is know he failed a PED test it should be interesting if he has to wait a long time to get into the HoF.

Nice to see Bryant get ROY and Maddon Manager of the Year.
I suppose they felt sorry for the 3rd place NL Central manager. We can't have a guy whose team won 100 games without their ace pitcher, starting LF, starting 1B and a host of other injuries winning, can we?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Where are the teams getting all this money for these huge contracts? Most ballparks are half-full at best for most regular season games, and the major networks are not interested in regularly televising games any more so TV money must be down. Is it all corporate sponsors?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks