What's new

2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It is far from a dumb rule, the problem last night from your description is that the Ump blew the call.On another note it is sad to see the Cubs are picking up right where they left off last year in regards to scoring runs when they have a play on second or third with no outs. Last year they were 22% below the league average and in their first game they failed again to score when that situation presented itself.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
This had nothing to do with the Phils getting clobbered last night but there is a rule that is just plain dumb that came into play late in the game.Utley was on second with two outs. Michael Young dribbled a ball to the pitcher.He picked it up and hit Young in the leg so he was safe, but old on. The home ump called him out saying he was out of the base line.In fact he was literally right on the line and was actually stepping on first base as the ball hit him.So it looked like a run scored and Young was on first. No run and three outs.
I am not fluent on the rule...and did not see the particular play in question...but my understanding is the runner (from home to first) is required to run in foul territory--in the box that is intentionally drawn on the foul side of the first base line.

IF he is running ON the line and gets hit with the ball if fair territory, he is out.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about the lane from Home plate to first base. It starts about halfway down the line and the runner is suppose to be in the lane which is on the foul side of the line. Sounds like the umps got this one right.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Patrick_S said:
I forgot about the lane from Home plate to first base. It starts about halfway down the line and the runner is suppose to be in the lane which is on the foul side of the line. Sounds like the umps got this one right.
I think the ump misinterpreted the rule.The spirit of it is to penalize a player for intentionally or unintentionally interfering with the throw.On this play Young was directly right on the line and just about to touch first base.He wasn't trying to do anything but get to the base. A base which happens to be in fair territory. The boxed baselines in foul territory.That's why this is a bad rule and penalizes a right hand batter.The shortest point to point is a straight line but its impossible for a righty to run a straight Line to first and go into the boxed off baseline area.Even a lefty rarely runs on the right of the foul line.Tonight the Phil's guys said they spoke with the ump and he claims that he called him out because he had one foot to the left of the line when he was hit with the ball.He added that if Young had both feet to the right then came back and had the one foot to the left of the line he probably would not have called him out.Huh?So according to this ump Young would have to serpentine and zig zag the entire length of the line to be in accordance of the rule as he interprets it.So the rule as written is preposterous, a runner can run 2 feet off the line to the right but if he has one foot slightly to the left of that line he is out of bounds.After the play happened the Phil's announcers read the rule and no where in that rule did it say anything the player should be called out if he has one foot to the left of the line.Anyway here isthe video if it posts properly.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well the link to the video is there but I don't see anything.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTwb3i9E-Ss&sns=em

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Me too. I'm not complaining that it was against the Phils but that its a stupid rule. The runner needs some leeway while trying to,get to the bag.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess there must've been a number of instances in the history of the game in which runners were trying to prevent a clean throw?

Here's the rule:
In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three-foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire's judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of) the three foot line or inside (to the left of) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball; Rule 6.05(k) Comment: The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a batter- runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane. The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.
And here's a page explaining all the different things that come up which call for implementation of the rule.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That rule only implies that a runner may intentionally interfere Witt the throw. I don't see anything about when a pitcher intentionally throws at the runner.It just really bugs me that a guy about to literally step on the bag can be called out if he is hit with the ball an instant before hitting the bag. Ludicrous.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My blood is up. It's a lousy day. I better sign off.

I was grouchy last night.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
After the first three games of the season, only one team (Washington) was undefeated. I found that to be surprising. After tonight, no team is undefeated. So much for any team going 162-0. ;)

Go Red Sox!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,Well, I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but Lackey is on the mound for the Hose today. I have no idea why the Sox retained him, but I'd much rather we had someone else as our fifth starter. I would love to see a close game, but I have this nagging feeling that it's going to be another 5-0 or 6-0 lead for the Blue Jays after about four innings.

On a more positive note, I love this 'new look' Red Sox team, with some fairly solid starting pitching, better-than-average fielding, and (to me most importantly) aggressive running on the base paths. It's nice to have a healthy Ellsbury in the line-up for a change. And Shane Victorino and Mike Napoli thus far look to be excellent additions to the roster. I like this new kid Bradley, both in the field and on the base paths. Speaking of the base paths, when I saw that the Red Sox were actually attempting a double steal late in the game last night, I almost fell off my chair. ;) It will be great once we have Ortiz back in the line-up, although Gomez (.375) has been quite good in the first four games.

It's nice to see the Red Sox with the best record in baseball, too. (I may have forgotten to mention that they are currently tied with eight other teams. ;))

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Boston is only trailing 2-0 after four innings. Lackey has given up two runs and five hits. He hasn't pitched too badly, and the BoSox have had their chances, with one man having been thrown out at home already. (I love them taking a few risks.) I thought it would be a lot worse, but at least it's close enough for the Red Sox to come back.

Go Red Sox!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Phillies home opener against the Royals - something is definitely not right with this picture.

Made even worse with Kyle Kendrick starting, and the Phils blowing a 4-0 lead! This is starting to be like last season, made even worse with the great start that the Nationals are having.

And I hate that Fox will continue to have MLB, and still using the NFL theme for its baseball coverage.

In other news, Barry Zito pitched a shutout, picking up where he left off last season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Hmmm. Lackey strikes out the first man he faces in the bottom of the fifth inning and then he is relieved by Aceves.

Walter,

I don't mind interleague play, although I don't think that it should occur at the start of the season. There is something wrong with that picture.
I know you're a Phillies fan (as opposed to the Pirates), but do happen to know why the Pirates let Hanrahan go? He's been fabulous in his three relief appearances thus far with Boston.

Edit: Okay, I see that Lackey re-injured his arm, which accounts for why he was taken out of the game when he was.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9141638/john-lackey-boston-red-sox-re-injures-right-arm-leaves-game-toronto-blue-jays

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Scott,

I did not mind interleague play either. In fact, I welcomed it when it first started, since baseball was the only sport left at the time, that had separate leagues not playing each other in the regular season. The one thing that I do hate though, is the rivalry series, which is a prime example of unfairness.

No idea about the Pirates.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Whoa, how about that win for the Phils.

down 3-1 heading into the 9th.

load the bases on three straight walks. Follwed by two K's.
Frandsen swings at the next pitch and clears the bases with the 4-3 game winning hit.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Yeah, it was nice to see the Phils come from behind for once, even when down to their last out. Who knew that a first pitch swinging would result in a win!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.