What's new

2013 MLB Season (2 Viewers)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Interesting about the baseline rule. Although I don't have my rulebook handy at the moment, I believe that in Little League, the "baseline" is what is established by the runner in the judgment of the umpire.

I like interleague play as a special case, but I agree that having it throughout the season is silly. Of course, now that there are an odd number of teams in each league, they have no choice (unless they change the Monday/ Thursday day-off scheduling).

Thankfully, it sounds like Lackey's injury is not too serious.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Interesting about the baseline rule. Although I don't have my rulebook handy at the moment, I believe that in Little League, the "baseline" is what is established by the runner in the judgment of the umpire.

I like interleague play as a special case, but I agree that having it throughout the season is silly. Of course, now that there are an odd number of teams in each league, they have no choice (unless they change the Monday/ Thursday day-off scheduling).

Thankfully, it sounds like Lackey's injury is not too serious.
Okay, Aaron. Three separate thoughts from you...three reactions from me:

1.) I think what you are describing is what takes place between first and third when there's a question about running out of the baseline or an interference play in that part of the field. It's different between home and first base.

2.) I have never liked Interleague play. I would get rid of it ASAP when elected commissioner.

3.) Amen, brother! :cheers: I'm hoping he has a good year. Most pitchers--a year removed from Tommy John surgery--say they've never felt better and have pretty good years. Some kids are having it done way early now (college!) just to get it out of the way and actually improve the internal mechanics of their pitching arm. Crazy stuff.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
How about Buchholz today? He pitched seven innings of three-hit shutout ball. And Chen was almost as good until the bottom of the inning. That's two excellent starts each from Lester and Buchholz.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Ho! The Astros only managed to knock in 17 runs in 7 games, but they're currently whipping on Seattle 13-0.

Congrats to MY on his almost-cycle.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We were at the game tonight.Young singled, homered then tripled and had one more AB coming but Unfortunately he dribbled to second.Wife and I were at the last game a Phil did get the cycle when David Bell did it in '04.I don't mind inter league games but the Phils might have the worst or Close to worst IL record since it started.My problem has been two. For about the first ten years it really wasn't inter league, It was just your team playing the same division from the other league every year .For the Phls it was always the AL East.They finally fixed that but someone decided that there should be a rivalry Series and that seems to be Phils/Boston. Huh?I haven't looked at the schedule so I can't say if they play again this year.IL should be done the way NFL does it. Rotate every season, and no rivalry series. Also Mike, you are correct on the baseline rule between first and home. A runner mayEstablish a baseline but he then has to stay within his own baseline.That to me is as dumb as the rule running to first. Oh well.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Remember, I was referring to the Little League version of the baseline rule. If I remember, I'll check my rulebook when I get home. (On that note, we continue to drop close games, but at least my kid finally broke out of his hitting slump. He's reached base safely every at-bat for the past three games.)

Speaking of the Phillies, we're going to the Phils-Marlins this weekend. Driving to the new stadium is much less awful than I was expecting. Whew! Sadly, no Red Sox in Miami this year, though.

Unless they both make it to the Fall Classic!!! :lol:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Sadly, no Red Sox in Miami this year, though.

Unless they both make it to the Fall Classic!!! :lol:
I don't know about the Marlins...but the Sox are comfortably alone atop the AL East.

As each day goes by, the World Series is starting to look more and more like a sure thing for them this year...

:biggrin:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mike Frezon said:
I don't know about the Marlins...but the Sox are comfortably alone atop the AL East.

As each day goes by, the World Series is starting to look more and more like a sure thing for them this year...

:biggrin:
Wow, jinx anyone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe you did do something. No sellout tonight, that streak is over.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ockeghem said:
Hmmm. Lackey strikes out the first man he faces in the bottom of the fifth inning and then he is relieved by Aceves.Walter,I don't mind interleague play, although I don't think that it should occur at the start of the season. There is something wrong with that picture.I know you're a Phillies fan (as opposed to the Pirates), but do happen to know why the Pirates let Hanrahan go? He's been fabulous in his three relief appearances thus far with
I can't answer that but did you guys see tonight's game. Yikes.Although to be fair to Hanrahan Catcher Saltamalmachia messed up two pitches that should have been strikes.He caught one with his glove turned the wrong way and another that he shiftedAcross the plate and made it look like the ball was inside, both pitches should have been strikes and McLouth an out.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Tony,

Before tonight's five-run ninth allowed by the Red Sox, Hanrahan looked quite good. I believe that he had three saves in four outings, and had struck out the only batter he had faced in one of his non-save situations.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh, snap! The Angels have fallen below the Astros for the bottom of the West.
muttley.gif

I kind of really need you guys to win at least one against the A's, though.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd be interested in watching the 'Stros vs. the Halos, but I don't have MLB.tv yet this year. If I didn't have to pay more to watch it on my 360, I might have gotten it. Either the Angels will breathe a sigh of relief from whipping them, or Scioscia might really be in a bit of trouble. It's early, but they had trouble early last year and it cost them in the end.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Seeing Mutley laughing there, I can't help but think the Angels are being run by the likes of Dick Dastardly, thinking he has this big, foolproof plan to win it all with the 2 big free-agent signings, only that it will backfire in a big way. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.