What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2013 - 2014 NHL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just a week into the season, and the Flyers have already fired coach Peter Laviolette. Let's see -- Philly has no goaltending and is weak at the blue line, yet their biggest offseason acquisitions were Vinny Lecavalier, overrated defenseman Mark Streit, and journeyman goalie Ray Emery. I think the team needs to fire GM Paul Holmgren -- not the coach. What a mess. Since I've been a Flyers hater since the 1970's Broad Street Bullies days, I am enjoying it, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks to the free preview of NHL Center Ice that is going on right now, I was able to watch the Habs - Flames game last night. I have been able to watch two of their three games so far. My impressions from last night, and the season so far:

1. The Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher line is by far the Canadiens best line so far. All three youngsters are really developing well. Eller's game, especially, has really improved over last season and the beginning of this year.

2. Their defense is terrible. All three goals last night were due to defensive breakdowns, and none were Price's fault. The only defenseman playing well right now is Subban. Diaz is terrible defensively, and Markov has really been slowed down by all the injuries. The rookie Tinordi shows promise, but he's still raw. Hopefully things will improve when Emelin and Murray return from injury,

3. David Desharnais is useless. Max Paccioretty is being wasted with DD as his center. DD is small, and plays that way. He easily gets pushed off the puck -- a victory for him is when he gets out of a puck battle still on his skates. Habs coach Therrien needs to bench him and move Plekanec to center MaxPac and Briere. Then give the rookie Bournival some ice time as center on the 4th line.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
Free preview?!?!?! :)
Yes. NHL Center Ice usually offers a free preview early each season. I think this year's preview runs through October 18th. I watched the first period of the Montreal - Edmonton game last night -- I can't stay up late to watch entire games out west.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,I saw a hockey channel last night that I hadn't seen on the grid before. Normally, I watch the NHL network (215). But last night, I saw NHL-1 (the next channel up numerically). When I went to check the game on this channel, I didn't have access to it. I'm going to keep an eye on it for free time, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,I saw a hockey channel last night that I hadn't seen on the grid before. Normally, I watch the NHL network (215). But last night, I saw NHL-1 (the next channel up numerically). When I went to check the game on this channel, I didn't have access to it. I'm going to keep an eye on it for free time, though.
I would check all the channels -- there should be quite a few. On Comcast on the east side of the state, the channels start somewhere around 769 and there are 10-12 of them. Each channel is reserved for a different game that night, or a HD version and SD version of the telecast on separate channels.I have never subscribed to the service, as it is about $160 per year. Since the Habs play almost every Saturday night and we have Whalers games on most Saturdays, I would be missing a lot of the games anyway.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
While watching the Red Sox game last night, I turned to NESN and was pleasantly surprised to see that the Bruins - Panthers game was shown in our area. The Bruins won 3-2 with a late goal after the Panthers tied it up in the third period. It wasn't pretty, but I'll take it. :)

I see that Pacioretty (Habs) is out for three weeks with a hamstring injury. And the hit Kronwall took from McLeod in the Red Wings - Avalanche game was brutal. He had to be carried off the ice on a stretcher. He reportedly has a concussion.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9841713/niklas-kronwall-detroit-red-wings-concussed-big-hit

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I don't understand why you are in Panthers territory. You are much closer to the Lightning. Then again, you guys get the jags games and not the Dolphins on your CBS station, which had to apologize for that fact.

I'm not sure I like the reallignment. It has made for some brutal road trips for teams on the geographic edges of the divisions, particularly the longer/bigger ones.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
While watching the Red Sox game last night, I turned to NESN and was pleasantly surprised to see that the Bruins - Panthers game was shown in our area. The Bruins won 3-2 with a late goal after the Panthers tied it up in the third period. It wasn't pretty, but I'll take it. :) I see that Pacioretty (Habs) is out for three weeks with a hamstring injury. And the hit Kronwall took from McLeod in the Red Wings - Avalanche game was brutal. He had to be carried off the ice on a stretcher. He reportedly has a concussion. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9841713/niklas-kronwall-detroit-red-wings-concussed-big-hit
Not even Pacioretty's amazing healing powers (fans in Montreal call him Wolverine) could help this time. He is a big loss. The team blew a 3-0 lead last night to Columbus, but pulled out a 5-3 win. The Habs have now won 4 straight games. Subban is playing great, showing that last season's Norris Trophy wasn't a fluke.McLeod will be getting a substantial suspension for that hit.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Lapierre gets a slap on the wrist 5 game suspension for his boarding of Boyle.I guess the collective agreement was a factor for only going with 5 games. What a joke he deserved 10 games for that hit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Capitals have announced that they will be keeping rookie Tom Wilson (2012 1st round pick), and not sending him back to the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL once his nine game trial is up next week. When Wilson plays in his 10th game, he will burn a year of his entry level contract even if he gets sent back to Plymouth, and he is not eligible for the AHL this season. In Plymouth, we are sad that Wilson will not be back for one more season, but happy for him. He's worked very hard to get to the NHL. Good luck, Tom!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Bruins will have their hands full tonight. San Jose (8-0-1) is coming to town! Their game with the Red Wings the other night was a good one, with the Sharks winning 1-0 in a SO.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
The Bruins defeated the Sharks 2-1, handing them their first loss in regulation. Niemi sure is tough. I wasn't sure which way this one was going to go.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400484382
Hopefully the Bruins tired out San Jose last night. The Habs play the Sharks tomorrow night. At least Montreal hung onto a lead last night, beating the Ducks 4-1. Carey Price was stellar. The Canadiens are currently the walking wounded -- missing forwards Pacioretty, Prust, Briere and Parros, plus defensemen Emelin, Murray and Drewiski.

Speaking of injuries, it appears that my ability to injure players from fantasy football has crept into the hockey world. After last night, three of my four goaltenders are now injured -- Rinne (Nashville), Harding (Minnesota) and Lundqvist (Rangers). Jaroslav Halak (my 4th goalie) should be very afraid right now. :eek: I had nothing to do with Tim Thomas or Cam Ward getting hurt, though... honest!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Rangers finally had their home opener last night, after playing the 1st nine games on the road due to the final renovations (total cost $1 billion :blink: ) on Madison Square Gardens. The Canadiens, as they have done to other teams recently, ruined the Rangers party with a 2-0 win. The Habs beat the Penguins in their final game in their old arena, as well as the first game in Pittsburgh's new arena. Montreal also spoiled Winnipeg's first home game back in the NHL a couple of years ago.

Doug Murray was back at defense for the Habs, playing his first game after missing the start of the season due to injury. So, the Canadiens are starting to get some of their injured players back. Still missing are regulars Pacioretty, Prust, Briere, Parros, Moen, and Emelin, as well as depth defenseman Drewiski. Parros is traveling with the team, so he should be back very soon.

The forward lines have lots of kids up from the AHL right now due to all the injuries. Bournival, Holland, Leblanc and Blunden all played significant minutes. Probably only Bournival will remain with the club once all the injured return.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

I was keeping an eye on that game last night (obviously rooting for the Rangers). Your Canadiens look pretty good in the early going, and might be jelling better than expected this season. I was also rooting for the Blackhawks and Penguins to lose, but I was 0-3 last night in hockey. At least my baseball team won. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,

I was keeping an eye on that game last night (obviously rooting for the Rangers). Your Canadiens look pretty good in the early going, and might be jelling better than expected this season. I was also rooting for the Blackhawks and Penguins to lose, but I was 0-3 last night in hockey. At least my baseball team won. :)
I am hopeful the team can hang in there through all these injuries and get healthy for a 2nd half of the season push. Carey Price looks better this year with the new goalie coach Waite, and Budaj has been stellar in his two appearances as Price's backup. The team is young and still has some holes to fill, but the future does look brighter with all the prospects that look to have some promise. Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Eller all look like real winners, and Bournival has looked very promising so far this season. Their young defensemen Tinordi and Beaulieu both need more seasoning in the AHL, but did show positive signs when they were up with the Habs. The only youngster that looks out of place is Desharnais, who has been terrible since signing a 4-year contract last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks