2009 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Cliff Lee and Chase Utley wow.

So the Yanks play that song even when they lose?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. They used to play the Liza Minnelli version when they lost...but they finally ditched that and just loop Frank over and over and over and over while patrons exit the park--after every game.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by TonyD

Well he does say, who are you to the guy.

Tony,

You're right, of course. I was just kidding around.

Goodness, Christy Mathewson has been incredible in this post-season, hasn't he? ;)

Seriously, what a remarkable outing by Lee last night. I knew he was good, but not this good. His ERA is looking Bob Gibson-esque at this point.

One of the two-best road teams in baseball played like it last night. I was thankful that the Phillies didn't resemble either Boston or the Angels against New York. But I was a little concerned in the ninth inning after the throwing error. Not too much, but just a little. And dare I say it, Philadelphia may have just as good a starting lineup as the Yankees, and that is saying a ton.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am so curious to watch tonight's game.

The "Pedro factor" will be huge. The Zimmer throwdown, "Who's your daddy?", etc.

Should be fun.

Of all the pitchers in MLB, Pedro is still the guy--because of the way he throws and the movement on his pitches--who is "must see" for me.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm just suprised that after Chase utley ropped that ball foul, that Sabathia shrugged off Posada's next pitch and wanted to pitch him again to the inside. Of course even worse, he left it out over the plate for the 2nd homer.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have never been a Yankee fan because originally I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan. I am rooting for the Phillies because I don't like teams who spend alot of $$$$ to buy championships. Last year while Tampa Bay had a bad WS - they had a better TEAM without spending alot of money.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I am so curious to watch tonight's game.

The "Pedro factor" will be huge. The Zimmer throwdown, "Who's your daddy?", etc.

Should be fun.

Of all the pitchers in MLB, Pedro is still the guy--because of the way he throws and the movement on his pitches--who is "must see" for me.
Mike,

I am very impressed with Sabathia, but not so much with the rest of the Yankees starters. I could easily see this series heading to Philly with the Phillies up 2-0. Odd how one game can mean so much. This is almost a must-win for New York.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
MO IS THE MAN. and to think that he's dominating the way he is, at his age. words cannot describe.

but wow, that strike zone was huge tonight. but consistently huge. A-rod has been off 2 nights in a row(!) i heard something like in the first 3 games of the Angels series, he never swung-and-missed at ANY pitch. that's how locked in he was. and how about Matsui taking that Guerrero-like swing downtown.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That Matsui home run was unbelievable. He golfed it; it was so far out of the strike zone. The gigantic strike zone put a damper on the game IMO. Neither side's batters could figure out what to swing at.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Maybe A-Rod is a bit unnerved about being on the biggest baseball stage?

Well, the Phillies are sending Hamels to the mound for game three, and hopefully Lee to the mound for game four. Hopefully, the Phillies will be up 3-1 by the time game five rolls around. I really hope this series doesn't return to New York.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Lee is starting game 5, Blanton's Game 4.

i don't think A-Rod's nerves have anything to do with it, his insecurities have had PLENTY of opportunities in the ALDS and ALCS to get the better of him, and yet he's responded not just with solid contact, but with homers. i think it's just superior pitching for 2 nights. game 3 will tell.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
And the highest Game 2 since 2004 (which was the Red Sox sweep, btw), beating out everything else on TV.

Crazy NY-Philly weekend, starting with the Knicks-76ers today (which I doubt a lot of people care). And tomorrow, Giants-Eagles and Yankees-Phillies. Even more funny, it happens to be the 2 NY teams that shared the same stadium, once upon a time, which is why I usually assume Yankees fans are Giants fan.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Walter C ">[/url]

And the highest Game 2 since 2004 (which was the Red Sox sweep, btw), beating out everything else on TV.

Crazy NY-Philly weekend, starting with the Knicks-76ers today (which I doubt a lot of people care). And tomorrow, Giants-Eagles and Yankees-Phillies. Even more funny, it happens to be the 2 NY teams that shared the same stadium, once upon a time, which is why I usually assume Yankees fans are Giants fan.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I meant to say, the people in both cities, would not really care about the basketball game, at least not as much as the other 2 games.

Game being delayed as I'm typing this.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ya know, going back to that Pedro game...did anyone else have flashbacks?

Especially when Charlie Manuel was shown talking to Pedro in the dugout after the 6th and Pedro was up to 99 pitches? Just like I was yelling at my televised image of Grady Little a few years ago when he went out to the mound when Pedro was at 100 pitches to take...him...out.

I don't know why neither manager listened to me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
More vintage McCarver tonight.

In describing the guy who "invented" the donuts used by on-deck batters, McCarver called him "the great Yankee great Elston Howard."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I always love getting news tidbits from the department of redundancy department.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.